Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New GPX 5000 and 4800 views

+37
polver
thegolddude
buck06
chopppacalamari
hotrockgarry
evan2010
HueyDuck
BradShell
Celeste
AraratGold
Eddy Current
Kon61gold
monoman1961
youngdigger
Tuflux
goldtimer
Universal1
Qld Sandy
HOBO'S Gold
paragold
Beer Beeper
SerialDelta
GoldstalkerGPX
gollstar
Undertaker
Shinegold
bencld
sandy2010
MS
shandeemax
Jonathan Porter
Tributer
artrix
alchemist
nero_design
Acan
41 posters

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

New GPX 5000 and 4800 views - Page 5 Empty gday

Post  newbie Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:37 pm

Hi all im jason. i just picked up my gpx 5000. i havent done much detecting at all to date but always remembered a mate doing it years ago and wanted to try it one day myself. so after a bitterly fought property settlement ha ha i have spent a bit of cash to enjoy camping, prospecting travelling etc. i have bugger all idea how these detectors work but look forward to using it. i hope i put it together right ha. im hoping to go on my first trip in 2 weeks time out kalgoorlie way as i live in W.A. would love to hear from anyone with advice with anything to do with detecting. cheers guys

Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2010-08-30

Back to top Go down

New GPX 5000 and 4800 views - Page 5 Empty Re: New GPX 5000 and 4800 views

Post  Guest Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:54 pm

newbie wrote:Hi all im jason. i just picked up my gpx 5000. i havent done much detecting at all to date but always remembered a mate doing it years ago and wanted to try it one day myself. so after a bitterly fought property settlement ha ha i have spent a bit of cash to enjoy camping, prospecting travelling etc. i have bugger all idea how these detectors work but look forward to using it. i hope i put it together right ha. im hoping to go on my first trip in 2 weeks time out kalgoorlie way as i live in W.A. would love to hear from anyone with advice with anything to do with detecting. cheers guys
just use the factory settings for a start just until you get use to it...then start having a play around you'll get hold off it pretty quick...just have fun and find heaps...
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:12 pm

nero_design wrote:
fencejumper wrote:
alchemist wrote:Howdy,
The control box and coils now have a 3 year warranty.

Cheers
Grey

does that include the extension you normally get when you join the adventure club?
normaly it's five years all up on the control box

cheers

The Adventure Club doesn't seem to be touted any more but I believe you get your training day still. I don't know what the story is with the Adventure Club anymore. The detectors from Minelab had varying National (Australian) warranties (2 years for the VLFs and 5 years for the PIs) so they eliminated the 5 year warranty and made all detectors united under a 3 Year International Warranty. Your older purchase with the 5 year warranty is still in effect but all the recent Minelab detectors now have a 3 Year International Warranty.

Just filled out the warranty card, yep still gives you membership to the Adventure club

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:57 pm

yep see that at the bottom, but can't see anywhere
about extended warranty.

i guess we'll see when they send the hat and key ring back,
should be more info then.

i suppose three years is long enough tho.....will have traded up to the gpx 6000 by then cheers Razz Razz

Back to top Go down

New GPX 5000 and 4800 views - Page 5 Empty GPX5000

Post  BradShell Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:51 am

Hi all, just got home with my new 5000, opened the box and inhaled the brand new smell of a spanky new detector aaahhhhh there is nothing like it hey cheers Put it together and admired it, ready to go in the morning....... So guess what??????? Today all the roads are closed around our part of the world Sad oh well the rain is great and desperately needed up here. Will just have to be a little bit patient and stop pacing up & down the hallway Very Happy. Will post pics when we finally get going & back if we find anything worth looking at.
PS The people at Reeds have been flat out this week filling peoples orders. So I think it will again be a very popular machine. Anyway goodluck everyone.
Shell
BradShell
BradShell
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2009-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:14 pm

good luck BradShell

Back to top Go down

Post  HOBO'S Gold Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:57 pm

cheers cheers cheers Just got home with my Brand New GPX5000 cheers never had a new machine before, cheers Its the 5th one that miners den in Mitcham have sold, they can't get enough to fill the orders, they order ten and get 2 or 3 in. The weather for saturday is going too be to wet for frogs little alone me Mad . I've got a week of in 10 days time so I'll give it a hidding then cheers cheers

regards Johnny
HOBO'S Gold
HOBO'S Gold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 969
Registration date : 2008-10-22

https://www.youtube.com/user/HOBOsGold?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Post  nero_design Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:39 pm

HOBO'S Gold wrote: Its the 5th one that miners den in Mitcham have sold, they can't get enough to fill the orders, they order ten and get 2 or 3 in.

Hmm. Familiar story atm.

Bet you can't wait to get out there. Congratulations on picking up a new machine!!
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Qld Sandy Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:07 pm

nero_design wrote:
HOBO'S Gold wrote: Its the 5th one that miners den in Mitcham have sold, they can't get enough to fill the orders, they order ten and get 2 or 3 in.

Hmm. Familiar story atm.

Bet you can't wait to get out there. Congratulations on picking up a new machine!!

I understand that Minelab have plenty of machines waiting to supply. Today I received my second lot after the first batch went to new homes early this week. RD and I plan to give our new units a workout this weekend. Cheers.
Qld Sandy
Qld Sandy
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2008-10-18

https://www.goldcitydetecting.com

Back to top Go down

Post  HueyDuck Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:39 pm

To everybody that has the 5000 or just about to get theirs, i wish you all the luck in the world with your new gold wands...im sure you all will give it one hell of a crack with them,now go get em... Very Happy ...

HueyDuck....
HueyDuck
HueyDuck
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2010-04-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:31 pm

mate of mine has been using a 5000 all week, he got some small bits, half gram size, doesnt reckon it goes deeper on bigger bits, but he doesnt like digging big holes anyway. he had trouble with interference, but may just be storms.

Back to top Go down

New GPX 5000 and 4800 views - Page 5 Empty 4800 and 5000

Post  evan2010 Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:14 pm

Congrats Acan your topics still Number 1 on this thread Laughing Until the new machines have been thoroughly tested by people like ourselves Im gonna keep on doing what I was doing b4 thier release, which is finding Gold with my 4500. Best of Luck to ya's with the 5000's tho!!
evan2010
evan2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2010-05-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:50 pm

HOBO'S Gold wrote: The weather for saturday is going too be to wet for frogs little alone me Mad . I've got a week of in 10 days time so I'll give it a hidding then cheers cheers
regards Johnny

Hope ya go well with the new 5000 cheers

Saturday is definitely off No Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Back to top Go down

New GPX 5000 and 4800 views - Page 5 Empty Calling JL or Peter

Post  hotrockgarry Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:51 pm

I wish jack lang was still in the picture i know he,s retired up around charter towersa in QLD , WOULD luv his input on things , does anyone know if he or peter one of his ex employees are still active on the ground or forums . Thanks

hotrockgarry
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2010-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post  nero_design Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:13 pm

hotrockgarry wrote: I wish jack lang was still in the picture i know he,s retired up around charter towersa in QLD , WOULD luv his input on things , does anyone know if he or peter one of his ex employees are still active on the ground or forums . Thanks

No you don't. Jack won't be showing up on the forums any time soon unless it's under a false name. He's currently selling off a lot of his gold nuggets to pay for something so I'd say he's preoccupied elsewhere.
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  AraratGold Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:39 pm

Please explain Nero !
Or is it secret squirell business ?

Cheers,
Rick
AraratGold
AraratGold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 426
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post  chopppacalamari Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:03 am

Yeah what he said!

Order! Order in the house Mr Speaker.

lol dicko..
chopppacalamari
chopppacalamari
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2008-12-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Beer Beeper Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:14 am

nero_design wrote:
hotrockgarry wrote: I wish jack lang was still in the picture i know he,s retired up around charter towersa in QLD , WOULD luv his input on things , does anyone know if he or peter one of his ex employees are still active on the ground or forums . Thanks

No you don't. Jack won't be showing up on the forums any time soon unless it's under a false name. He's currently selling off a lot of his gold nuggets to pay for something so I'd say he's preoccupied elsewhere.

Jack Lange has a letter he wrote on this website in July. He explains a modified GP Extreme performs better than a 4000 and 4500: (If the first link will not load, then try the second link here below.)

http://detectormods.com/

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:c_98DyHiwk0J:detectormods.com/+woodys+woodypoopoo&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

Beer Beeper
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2008-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:26 pm

Look out, there will be a rush on for GP extremes, and a woody mod affraid

Maybe santa is real too

Somehow I don't think so.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:01 pm

my mate has a gp extreem with woody's mods and it bloody go's well...it picks up the small gold at pretty good depth...he runs a 8" coil...but would the 4000 out do it with the mods?
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  nero_design Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:11 pm

New GPX 5000 and 4800 views - Page 5 Medium

Direct links to Detector Mods and Woody's website are usually frowned upon. Why don't you throw up a link to $cientology while, you're at it? Just because there's a link discussing the GPX-5000 here, I guess you figured it would be great to try and squeeze in an endorsement for the modded detector market - the snake oil "cure all" for those who claim their detectors just can't seem to find gold.

Jack's reputation has been affected in relation to his alleged (I'll use that word for those who don't know the details of the case) involvement with a legal incident some years ago. Without giving away those details, not too many people care for modded detectors. There's a few here who claim to use them but I've always found the claims by those doing to mods to be outrageous or simply optimistic at best. Having read about people being unable to fix modded machines that came back less than functional, and having heard about the problems they encountered getting a refund or a decent repair, I'm not able to recommended this option. Those that do get one modified tend to be apprehensive because dealers will not accept them for trade and even Minelab (the manufacturer) will not accept them for service and repair. Woody and Jack have past business dealings with one another and whilst I enjoy reading about Jack's adventures looking for gold, I'm NOT going to endorse a product or service with so many underlying concerns.

If you think a Modded detector will actually give you an edge, then pay for the alterations and good for you. But don't tout it here or on the other forums as being a suitable option. With so many damaged failed mods out there (regardless of who it was that was doing the modding), I don't think people are doing anyone a favor talking them up.

With the GPX-5000 out now, I look forward to hearing how the Modders claim to be able to tune up a GP3000 to outperform these new detectors... and run rings around them. They already claim they can mod a 3000 to outperform a 4500 and that's really ridiculous to hear. Are they an outright scam? Probably not. But they are likely to ruin a perfectly fine detector AND consume a little of that fine cash you have in your pocket at the same time. If you REALLY WANT AN EDGE on all the previously released detectors on the market today, you should look at upgrading to the latest detector to be released. Whatever it might be. In this case, I think it's safe to assume that the newest GPX-5000 runs rings around every mod that has ever been released to date.

The ONE thing consistent with all the Modding is that the Modders insist the new user put on a smaller coil or a newer model coil to their older detector. OF COURSE IT IS GOING TO FIND small gold with a smaller coil. And OF COURSE it will probably run smoother. The fact that the owners of these modded machines are unable to figure this out BEFORE paying for a mod shows just how uninformed or (and I am loathe to use the term) "gullible" they can be. Not everyone paying for a modded machine is gullible though... some are smart and DECENT people but they hope to better the equipment they own with a little wizardry. It's hard not to buy into the sales pitch when some Modders advertise in perfectly mainstream magazines. But 4 out of 5 people seem to have more problems than before they had their detector opened and tinkered with. And that's why there will always be a market for modded detectors: because there are always people who will believe the hype of an unsupported claim. With all the threads about Modded detectors lately, I think it's clear that the Modders are desperate to generate more sales at a time when a new detector might woo their customer base away from them. it's also clear that they wish to infiltrate the boards to try and build a new customer base.

If Mods were genuinely effective, you'd hear Doug Stone and Johnathan Porter raving about them. You'll notice, however, that they DON'T.

Last edited by nero_design on Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Needed to soften the edge to my rant.)
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  buck06 Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:41 pm

well said nero have tryed a 3500 and a 3500 mod machine side by side old 35 with small coil wooped the moded 35 with a standed 11 inch coil so big deal . if you wish to pull a new machine apart and copy the internals and say you invented it your just b///sh///ing your cliants. affraid affraid affraid
buck06
buck06
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2009-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:42 pm

Got these little nuggies today after 50 mm+ of rain over night and today, managed to get out for an hour with my Father on Fathers Day which was fun. Was using the GPX-5000 with the supplied 11" monoloop coil using the Fine Gold timings with Gain on 13, Motion on Slow, Mono mode, Tracking Fixed, Stabilizer 10, Target Volume 8, Volume Limit 10 (I'm using a B&Z booster with Dual Speakers), detector was very stable even with the thunderstorms about, had to quit at 5.30PM as the rain started to come in again.

JP

New GPX 5000 and 4800 views - Page 5 P9050116-1
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 801
Registration date : 2008-11-25

http://www.theoutbackprospector.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  HOBO'S Gold Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:38 pm

Thanks, nice to see Jonathan, cant wait to fire mine up, but its been a bit wet this weekend in Vic. I don't think these detectors work well under 2 metres of water Laughing

regards Johnny sunny
HOBO'S Gold
HOBO'S Gold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 969
Registration date : 2008-10-22

https://www.youtube.com/user/HOBOsGold?feature=mhee

Back to top Go down

Post  nero_design Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:42 pm

That's interesting Johnathan... You are the third person i know of this weekend that has been able to use their new 5000 with unstable weather (lightning storms) in the immediate area. That's quite interesting! I remember that my 4500 used to get very unstable and 'burp' quite a lot when a storm was building in the distance.
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  MS Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:44 pm

JP good gold as usual and to get out detecting on fathers day your family is more understanding than mine.

Marco - No need to put down the mods again or JL ,I think this has been done to death, funny how when I was away on the last Forum trip in Vic I stood up at the course and said to all I have a modded Gp3500 and not one person had anything bad to say,I detected with 25+ forum members and did just fine and no one held that against me, not sure if I read it right but the new models now have large , med and small gold settings, I have had that on my modded unit for years and it works both in test beds and in the field.
Anyway ease up on the mod bashing and I can tell you there are members on this forum who have seen my unit in action and it does the job just fine.
I won't part with my unit even if I upgrade next year as it allows me to consistently find gold in well worked areas , and is easy to use.
A important point to remember is no modder has done anything without a great ML unit to start with but believe it or not some models can be improved upon.
Cheers mark
MS
MS
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 791
Registration date : 2009-03-17

Back to top Go down

Post  nero_design Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:05 pm

Fair enough Mark and I agree with you, but there's one thing I'd like to say in response (and I was not the one to bring it up here)... I personally suspect that an early model could benefit from new electronics and a replacement of primitive (superseded) components to a small degree. This might make them run a little more stable and might increase performance. I'm talking about the early SDs etc. I know a couple of the guys doing the mods and I know they probably wince when someone says something negative about their work, but some of the misinformation being circulated about modded detectors needs to stop now. I've spoken to people who have had endless problems repairing or attempting to repair modded detectors. I'll leave it at that but I am seeing an unusual number of pro-mod posts lately. There's a reason why dealers and manufacturers don't like them. If you are doing well with your machine, then you've done well in getting it tweaked and I hope your positive results continue.
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:07 pm

Hey,
good way to celebrate Father's Day, with your dad JP to go out a find a couple of nice little nuggets. Hope your dad found some as well.
Took my dad out once to show how the detecting game works and found a couple of small nuggets, he thought it was great.
Family and life enjoy, celebrate how fortunate we all are in this country

Last edited by Clay Base on Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

New GPX 5000 and 4800 views - Page 5 Empty GP mods

Post  thegolddude Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:42 pm

I have seen all 3 GP models with Woody's & Ismaels mods on them and without a shadow of a doubt, they work. They boost performance and its easy to see, no ifs or buts. Anyone saying otherwise has their heads in the sand or have minelab blindness. The modders offer a full warranty and repair service. end of story. Graham

thegolddude
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2010-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:57 pm

i have to say, if you see the modded detectors on the field you'll change your mind that it's a waste off money and time doing them. my mate's gp extreem fully modded out does my 4000 everytime, just like yesterday. i found nothing and he found 4 or 5 bits. i tryed running my 4000 over a target he found and didn't even pick it up. he just runs a 8" standard coil and i'm running a 8" mono. the only way i could pick it up was with the gain on 15, but then it was that noizy you had to realy listen. the mods make them run quiet and more sensitive to the smaller and deeper targets.. even with the 8" coil he runs it went about 8 to 10" down on a bit off gold. i would love to get my 4000 modded but havn't got the money to get it done...
people just have there diffrent thoughts about this.
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next