Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Sun baker that gave no sound to an SDC 2300

+4
adrian ss
granite2
Dunks50
phrunt
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

A Sun baker that gave no sound to an SDC 2300 Empty A Sun baker that gave no sound to an SDC 2300

Post  Guest Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:39 am

G’day All,

A very nice little nuggy that my BIL found with his SDC 2300.  He said that it gave no positive sound, just an interruption to the threshold and when he looked down he saw it on top of the ground. He sat it on a quartz rock for me to try my GPZ 7000 with 12” X coil over it I got a big shock  Shocked  as the Zed didn’t get a sound either.    We also had 3 friends called Into our camp each with a GPX 6000 so we got them to try their 6000’s over it and they were all shocked to find that they didn’t get a sound from the little nuggy either.   I told them that it’s hard to hear Gold.   Mind you I have been finding little nuggies around the same size at depths up to 5”-6”.   The nuggy weighs .2 grams.  

A Sun baker that gave no sound to an SDC 2300 C3cc9f10

Cheers.

Mike.

Back to top Go down

A Sun baker that gave no sound to an SDC 2300 Empty Re: A Sun baker that gave no sound to an SDC 2300

Post  adrian ss Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:25 am

Maybe it is a conglomerate nugget with poor conductivity although My SDC can struggle at times on some 0.1 to 0.15 g. that my gold bug pings at around 7 inches in quiet ground.
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 4415
Registration date : 2015-07-03

Back to top Go down

A Sun baker that gave no sound to an SDC 2300 Empty Re: A Sun baker that gave no sound to an SDC 2300

Post  moredeep Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:01 am

Very odd indeed mike,looks a bit like pop corn-light and fluffy with air int the middle?
Aero bar comes to mind,and a bit like a fine gold chain that's difficult to detect,mmm a real brain twister.
True fools gold Shocked

cheers moredeep
moredeep
moredeep
Management

Number of posts : 1897
Registration date : 2018-05-23

ivanll and adrian ss like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:42 am

Ya sure it's not a bit of popcorn Laughing
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

moredeep likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  AU_Toe Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:13 pm

G’day Mike

Mike54 wrote:I told them that it’s hard to hear Gold.

I would be contacting ML and telling them that your detectors are all 'Failing' on a sample you found.

You could offer to help them fix their software for a daily fee of $2500/Day minimum 1 weeks effort cheers

If you let me be your manager, I will organise the gig for you, do you know were Maswon Lakes is ?
AU_Toe
AU_Toe
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2014-02-09

http://ozgold.itis.nu/

Tich likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  AU_Toe Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:46 pm

AU_Toe wrote:If you let me be your manager, I will organise the gig for you

Bug Bounty is big business in IT

Check No. 4 - $100K - $200K

If they are not interested, then they already know about the bug Sad

If they are interested, then they do not know - happy days Smile
AU_Toe
AU_Toe
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Rockwall likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:28 pm

adrian ss wrote:Maybe it is a conglomerate nugget with poor conductivity although My SDC can struggle at times on some 0.1 to 0.15 g. that my gold bug pings at around 7 inches in quiet ground.

G’day Adrian,

It is a solid little nuggy and as I said I have dug several nuggies around the same size at good depth, but this little nuggy doesn’t make a sound weather the coil touches it or if you raise the coil any distance. Shocked

Cheers.

Mike.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:38 pm

moredeep wrote:Very odd indeed mike,looks a bit like pop corn-light and fluffy with air int the middle?
Aero bar comes to mind,and a bit like a fine gold chain that's difficult to detect,mmm a real brain twister.
True fools gold Shocked

cheers     moredeep

G’day moredeep,

Definitely not fools, as fools gold wouldn’t weigh anything.
My son found a 1.5 gram nuggy a few years ago that will only register at 2” from the coil which should have banged like bullet lead.

Cheers.

Mike

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:47 pm

AU_Toe wrote:G’day Mike

Mike54 wrote:I told them that it’s hard to hear Gold.

I would be contacting ML and telling them that your detectors are all 'Failing' on a sample you found.

You could offer to help them fix their software for a daily fee of $2500/Day minimum 1 weeks effort cheers

If you let me be your manager, I will organise the gig for you, do you know were Maswon Lakes is ?

G’day AU_Toe,

Thanks, would be interesting, but I think ML may not want to know. We are going to try the GM1000 on it, but we left it at home. So it will have to wait until we get back home.

Cheers.

Mike.

Back to top Go down

Post  moredeep Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:53 pm

Truly baffling mike,it would be interesting to get it analysed .
Another thought would be to smack it flat with a hammer and see if it improves the signal,that may suggest the shape has something to do with it.
Don't do it if you like the nuggy though What a Face

cheers moredeep
moredeep
moredeep
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:12 pm

moredeep wrote:Truly baffling mike,it would be interesting to get it analysed .
Another thought would be to smack it flat with a hammer and see if it improves the signal,that may suggest the shape has something to do with it.
Don't do it if you like the nuggy though What a Face

cheers   moredeep

I don’t think my BIL would want to smack it with a hammer, as it’s a unique little nuggy. Laughing

Cheers.

Mike.

Back to top Go down

Post  phrunt Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:40 am

I have found a similar nugget, my GPX wouldn't see it, GPZ would not see it unless touching the coil, changing coils make no difference as it's the detectors problems, oddly the QED had a small signal on it and VLF's slam on it like there is no tomorrow. I found it using my GM1000.

I had it explained to me at the time why it happens, I've forgotten now, something to do with a hole in the way the detector works whereby the gold falls into the ground balance window or something so is cancelled out.

phrunt
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2021-01-20

geof_junk and adrian ss like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:48 am

Very true mate.
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:49 am

Mike54 wrote:
adrian ss wrote:Maybe it is a conglomerate nugget with poor conductivity although My SDC can struggle at times on some 0.1 to 0.15 g. that my gold bug pings at around 7 inches in quiet ground.

G’day Adrian,

It is a solid little nuggy and as I said I have dug several nuggies around the same size at good depth, but this little nuggy doesn’t make a sound weather the coil touches it or if you raise the coil any distance.    Shocked

Cheers.  

Mike.  

Hi Mike.
If you set the gb of the 2300 a bit positive you may find that the nug will signal.
The gb of a vlf does not work on the same principal as that of a PI.
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:47 am

G’day phrunt,

I believe that it has something to do with the purity of the gold and as you said falls through the window of the detection system of the detector.
Before I got the GPZ 7000 and using my GPX 5000 with the 14” round NFA coil got a signal it turned out to be a 5 gram nuggy at a depth of 15” I first heard the signal on the outer swing of the coil, but when I swept the coil over it again there was nothing, so I lifted the coil off the ground about 4” and the signal was banging like a bullet.

Cheers.

Mike.

Back to top Go down

Post  moredeep Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:20 am

Does your pin pointer work on it mike?

cheers moredeep
moredeep
moredeep
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  Dunks50 Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:03 pm

Hi Mike, that's very encouraging. A 5gmr at a ft and a half deep. I like the sound of that as I hope to find something like that one day with my 4500.

Cheers
Dunks

Dunks50
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2020-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:32 am

moredeep wrote:Does your pin pointer work on it mike?

cheers   moredeep

G’day moredeep,

Good question, we have not tried the pinpointer on it, but might give it a try tomorrow morning and will let you know how it goes thanks for that.

G’day Adrian,

Not sure if you can get the GB on the 2300 to get positive, as they are fixed in auto. I may be wrong but. I think the green button is only to put the GB into fast tracking. But like I said I’m not sure.

Thanks again for your information.

G’day Dunks,

You only have to get the coil over the target and you should be able to hear it, I have detected some nice deep ones with my old 4500 before I got the 5000.

Cheers.

Mike.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dunks50 Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:28 am

Hi Mike, can I ask if your usual settings with the 4500 were General, Enhanced, Fixed & Mono for example, and did you use external speaker with a booster or just headphones. Also were you using a large mono for the depth and do you auto tune or stick to the theory of 80-120 in the GT in particular. Apologies for all the questions. Still looking for that first one with the 4500. Thank you.

Dunks

Dunks50
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2020-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post  granite2 Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:08 pm

We found gold like that around Eucalyptus in WA. Quite common there.
granite2
granite2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1842
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:27 pm

Dunks50 wrote:Hi Mike, can I ask if your usual settings with the 4500 were General, Enhanced, Fixed & Mono for example, and did you use external speaker with a booster or just headphones. Also were you using a large mono for the depth and do you auto tune or stick to the theory of 80-120 in the GT in particular. Apologies for all the questions. Still looking for that first one with the 4500. Thank you.

Dunks

G’day Dunks,

At that time my favourite coil was 14”x9” coiltek mono coil and only used the earbud phone’s. Always ran the detector in fixed and used the green button to ground balance, as for the settings I always had them adjusted on the highest level, but backed off so it would run smooth. That way you can always hear those faint changes and have your coil close as possible to the ground and slow and steady swing. Today’s new flat wound coils are the go. Hope this helps you have some good luck.

Cheers.

Mike.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:34 pm

granite2 wrote:We found gold like that around Eucalyptus in WA. Quite common there.

G’day Jim,

Yes I remember you wrote some thing about it quite a few years ago about a patch somewhere near Pikes/Eucalyptus. Wink

Cheers.

Mike.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:42 pm

cheers   moredeep

G’day moredeep,

Well I looked for our pinpointer this morning and it looks like we have left it at home with the GM1000 bummer Rolling Eyes

Cheers.

Mike.

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:06 pm

Mike54 wrote:

cheers   moredeep

G’day moredeep,

Good question, we have not tried the pinpointer on it, but might give it a try tomorrow morning and will let you know how it goes  thanks for that.  

G’day Adrian,

Not sure if you can get the GB on the 2300 to get positive, as they are fixed in auto. I may be wrong but.  I think the green button is only to put the GB into fast tracking.  But like I said I’m not sure.  

Thanks again for your information.  

G’day Dunks,

You only have to get the coil over the target and you should be able to hear it, I have detected some nice deep ones with my old 4500 before I got the 5000.  

Cheers.  

Mike.  

Yeah it is auto gb but I tried balancing one time at the beach and didn't complete the fast track balance (stopped pumping the coil) and the detector was responding slightly positive. It seemed to me that the auto tracking was not taking the gb to dead zero. either way I started finding some very small bits of rusty scrap metal and tiny pieces of aluminium foil.
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:28 pm

G’day Adrian,

Thanks for the information and we will have a go at that.

However I decided to try the GPZ 7000 in Normal this morning and I got a very slight change in the threshold, but could only hear it in the centre of the coil at no more than 1” above the nuggy. There’s no way you could run the detector in Normal on the ground we are working on.

Cheers.

Mike.

Back to top Go down

A Sun baker that gave no sound to an SDC 2300 Empty It's probably the shape of this nugget

Post  maurifree Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:28 am

If the target is shaped by nature to electrically cancel out the pulse it receives from a detector then no return signal is reflected back to the source. This is the same principle that noise cancelling headphones use to mask the sound received. The round nodules and shapes on this nugget are probably the reason this is happening. Just my take on why it can't be heard. Running normal mode on the detectors will reduce the number of filters being used to receive the pulse reflected back from a target and hence if only a small signal is being emitted back from a target then it's easier to hear.
maurifree
maurifree
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2018-11-14

moredeep likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:57 pm

G’day maurifree,

Most of the little nuggies we are finding in the area are pretty much similar in shape/size, I don’t think the actual shape is why it is hard to hear, but it is anyone’s guess too why the nuggy is hard to hear.  Thanks for your Input on the subject.  

Cheers.  

Mike.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:30 pm

G’day All,

I detected a specie the other day which was only a slight change of the threshold on my GPZ,
which I thought was a deep target in the ground, but after kicking the rock out of the way the signal disappeared. Found the rock back and I picked it up and I turned it over WOW I couldn’t believe my eyes.  When I got back to the vehicle I got the others to go over the specie with the GPX 5000 & the SDC 2300 and they could only just hear a slight change on the side the gold is showing.  

A Sun baker that gave no sound to an SDC 2300 39a73310

Close up
A Sun baker that gave no sound to an SDC 2300 6cf7e010

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:44 am

Gold in quartz, found on or close to the surface, is where a good high frequency VLF such that of a Gold Bug 11 comes into play Mike. There are some types of gold where a PI just can't see well, or pick up at depth. Well done on the gold finds  cheers

Kon. T25
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4558
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

AU_Toe likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  AU_Toe Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:06 am

G'Day Kon

This is off topic, but a classic example of how forums sometimes just do not work because I do not want to start a new topic as it would make no sense out on its own Sad

Not that I'm complaining about this forum mate

Kon61gold wrote:Gold in quartz, found on or close to the surface

When I was really new to det. I collected lots of quartz and dragged it home in the tub, even when the SDC didn't say any au inside.

The 'Boss' takes one look and says thanks for bringing it home for the garden, just what she needed for a dry stone wall to hold in the lavender !!!!

Kon61gold wrote:where a good high frequency VLF such that of a Gold Bug 11 comes into play Mike. There are some types of gold where a PI just can't see well, or pick up at depth.

I have been trying to find someone with these 'older' tech. det. to check what has become tonnes of quartz in the garden.

I was told this "Listen really carefully using head phones" and an number of other what I now know are g8 tips from someone on here many years ago now and here are their details

Birthday : 1954-05-14
Job/hobbies : Breed Thoroughbreds, Gold Hunting
Registration date : 2012-04-26

Hopefully they will see this post and re-contact me Smile
AU_Toe
AU_Toe
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down