Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The sound of gold?

5 posters

Go down

The sound of gold? Empty The sound of gold?

Post  yellowmellow Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:39 pm

Hi All,

Just like anyone to describe to me the sound of gold.

What should i listen out for to distingish between trash and the good stuff gold?

Also having dectected before i listen to the sounds that have a peak to it but not something that overloads the machine in booming noises as it more likely can be trash.

I always get excited at sweet mellow sounds like a whistle noise but the fainter the better i feel.

Cheers,

Eureka
yellowmellow
yellowmellow
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1738
Registration date : 2009-06-24

Back to top Go down

The sound of gold? Empty Re: The sound of gold?

Post  Guest Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:39 pm

One idea is to go on you tube and watch some of the many video clips of amature operators
and have a listen to what sounds their machines make!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:58 pm

Hrer's one for ya Eureka, knock ya self out.
VIDEO
cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  nero_design Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:59 am

I should probably ask which detector you are using first.

But the majority of gold not sitting close to the very surface is going to be a much quieter signal in many instances. Most operators over the years have referred to it as a "mellow sound". If you only dig the louder, sharper sounding targets whilst ignoring the faintest ones, you'll be missing out on most of it.

If you turn up the iron discrimination (if your detector has this feature) then you will lose most of your depth. Yet if you listen to iron targets, they tend to have a little warble on the end of the signal tone. Not always but often enough to assist you in ignoring many iron targets whilst maximizing your depth.

One of the reasons the Double-D coils are so successful is because they are quieter on the ground and allow the operator to listen for fainter sounds.

Cheers,

Marco
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2090
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:00 am

Hello Eureka,
My advice would be for you to experiment with the tone of your machine. A .22 bullet will suffice if you don't have a nugget. Dig a small hole about 75/100mm deep and drop the slug into it.
Set your tone to either end of the scale and vary it while swinging over the target until you get the clearest, sharpest signal for your level of hearing. Everyones hearing varies slightly. For me due to hearing loss from a lifetime in heavy industry I find the lower end of the scale is best suited.
Dig every target and leave the iron descriminator "off" until you are very familiar with your machine. Personally I have never used the descriminator opting to dig every target regardless.
Your question regarding the sound of gold, it is very difficult to explain, however one day you will get a signal and even before you dig something tells you you have gold.
There is not a dedicated gold signal, we swing metal detectors not gold detectors.
Good luck in this facinating hobbie.

Peter
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2688
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:07 pm

Hi All, Nightjar, you make a very interesting point here, with the descriminator. When I first started I used the iron rejection all of the time, until it was poitned out to me that depth is lost and with it set too high the loss of smaller nuggs can occur. I do not use it at all anymore, I started to double check signals I was getting with it, but on a deep target it will not give a rejection anyway. Once close to the target it will start to cancel.
Now with a little experience I usually can tell if it is junk before digging, although I still dig (I like to see how accurated my guess is) I prefer a mono coil so Iron Rejection is rendered usless anyway.
One thing I have found, is that a decent sized nugget extremely close to the coil will give an almost blanking sound (overload of the machine, I'm guessing)
I have tried working in High trash area's with the use of Iron Rejection, with no avail, I have even planted a nugget with trash to see what response I get. HMMMM All too hard, I would like to see an experienced operator work in these conditions to learn of what I am doing wrong here.
Cheers
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

The sound of gold? Empty sound of gold

Post  tom-vmdpa Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:22 pm

hi all , i recall first starting out with an sd 2000 and at times you could tell 100% that you were about to dig gold,not all the time though
but every now and then you would get a particular tone and you knew it was and you were right. i recall a patch in talbot that was in a , we,ll call it gravell from the surface and down quite deep sort of ground and the nuggets were all around six inches deep. i remember hearing the same tone on every one of them . then came my 2200d and the same tone ,absolutely identical was heard on that machine now and then also . this was only now and then but sometimes it happens . as for only digging the faint targets , and we do tend to fall into that trap now and then , its not the way to go . the horseshoe shaped nugget on gem/treasure on the cover recently was only two inches down and the operator expected rubbish. wasn,t she surprised to find an 8 ounzer. also a 22oz,er a few years ago that was eight inches down blew her head off through the head phones and this person was about to walk away,fortunatly a freind said lets dig it and then go for a coffee.just as well he was there ! as far as sounds go i have a 3500 now and on a couple of occasions i thought it was gold and was correct but the sounds were softer than lead bullets but i was not 100% sure. different depths, size of gold and type of ground can produce different tones , only one way to be sure and that is to dig
cheers tom........

tom-vmdpa
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2009-08-24

http://www.strictlywaterproofing.com.au

Back to top Go down