Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

corona virus crisis and detecting

+39
planetcare
adrian ss
PeterInSa
llanbric
piston broke
dundiggin
philip.j.thompson
bicter
AnnieL
Sharkbait
treasureworld
GPZhunter
goldnomad
ruffles
flouro
xmas tree
TuronYellowFever
Hotrocks
Slavitoooo
Redfin
Alan WA
rockhunter62
boobook
tony p
Nightjar
deutran
keogh
Axtyr
Grandfather Johnson
GemQ
mbasko
goldmuss78
thegoldman24
Mechanic
joe82
golden oldy
Reg Wilson
straight wire
yellowmellow
43 posters

Page 8 of 14 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next

Go down

corona virus crisis and detecting - Page 8 Empty Re: corona virus crisis and detecting

Post  moredeep Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:20 pm

It's a funny thing technology and the illogical fear of it,especially when it comes to the old mobile phone.
It's very strange that most of us embrace with open arms when a new detector comes out but when it comes to a mobile phone we /you become true Luddites.
I noted how many metal detectors people on this forum have had/got ,very impressive collection of detecting technology. 

But when it comes to phones we tend to be a stick in the mud ,why is it? I noted Adrian still has his [star trek inspired flip phone] and Pete unsure of Bluetooth technology.
It is a strange phenomenon when it comes to these devices,I for one was guilty of not wanting to give up the old flip phone.
I was encouraged [shamed] by my better half to get out of the dark ages and join the 21st century and to my surprise it was like getting a new wiz bang detector .
And for those who can drive new detectors can surely cope with any wiz bang phone technology, roll with the punches Laughing Laughing Laughing

cheers  moredeep
moredeep
moredeep
Management

Number of posts : 1853
Registration date : 2018-05-23

Back to top Go down

corona virus crisis and detecting - Page 8 Empty Re: corona virus crisis and detecting

Post  Reg Wilson Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:47 pm

This virus situation certainly has flushed out a few Luddites. It seems that common sense is not really common at all, and the same old conspiracy nonsense is being espoused by the usual offenders.
One particular Facebook group are really 'troppo', giving the general public the opinion that prospectors in general are selfish, semi literate, nutters. The now banned 1.5 forum was a perfect example of mentally challenged nastiness that deserved to get the flick. A few of the 1.5 refugees tried to infect this forum, but fortunately have now gone elsewhere.
Against the persistent bombardment of the fruitloop brigade, management here has stood firm with intelligence and integrity. Well done.
Reg Wilson
Reg Wilson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 624
Registration date : 2012-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post  llanbric Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:53 am

Reg Wilson wrote:This virus situation certainly has flushed out a few Luddites. It seems that common sense is not really common at all, and the same old conspiracy nonsense is being espoused by the usual offenders.
One particular Facebook group are really 'troppo', giving the general public the opinion that prospectors in general are selfish, semi literate, nutters. The now banned 1.5 forum was a perfect example of mentally challenged nastiness that deserved to get the flick. A few of the 1.5 refugees tried to infect this forum, but fortunately have now gone elsewhere.
Against the persistent bombardment of the fruitloop brigade, management here has stood firm with intelligence and integrity. Well done.

Well said Reg, but didn't you make several hundred posts there yourself?

llanbric
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 412
Registration date : 2008-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:40 am

C'mon fellas, what happens or goes on other forums should stay on other forums, but lets not drag things over here in order to continue unnecessary arguments just for arguments sake. We're facing much more important things to consider than rivalry between ourselves.
We're all suffering to some extent or another, we're all in it together & we must stay vigilant in showing the patience to get through all this.
There are some on here who see this virus as nothing more/better than the common cold/flue, others seek proof in knowing if this is really happening, but I say, may none of us, nor any member of our families/friends contract COVID-19 in order to find out.
Patience, its not going to be/stay like this forever, all things must come to pass & life will come back to normal.

Cheers Kon. T25
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4500
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  mbasko Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:05 am

Nightjar wrote:As already mentioned I know very little about bluetooth but did read that it can be detrimental to brain function? Can anyone prove or disprove this? You'll get on Dave, sucking up to Kon, you'll be inviting him to join us when the 7000's get fired up again. 😂😅😆
If your concerned about Bluetooth being detrimental to brain function then you better dispose of the wireless system on the GPZ. Bluetooth is just a proprietary name for a standard of wireless (WIFI) RF transmission system - there are numerous other wireless RF transmission systems such as those standards used by Minelab, Garrett etc. Bluetooth just gets thrown up a lot due to it being the most popular wireless system used.

The concerns with wireless systems stems from EMF (Electromagnetic Field) radiation. While there is no specific evidence either way that wireless systems are safe or harmful there is other evidence that suggests it's the least of our worries i.e. the mobile phones that commonly use Bluetooth emit about 10 times more EMF radiation than the Bluetooth devices do & numerous other electronic devices we use in our homes or recreational activities can be even worse not to mention power lines + phone towers. EMF is emitted from everything - metal detectors rely on it to operate  affraid, tv, radio, microwave, even wired headphones etc. etc.

The EMF radiation from these installations & everyday devices is also low frequency non ionizing radiation which the scientific boffins say is relatively safe but can be detrimental to health depending on frequency & duration of use, distance from source etc.
The concern with the widespread use of Bluetooth (or other wireless systems) now is that the earphones/headphones are worn for long periods of time on the head or in the ear potentially causing issues due to the reduced distance from source & the frequency + duration of use. Still there's no 100% proof that these very low energy devices do cause any health issues such as cancer, memory loss etc.
You'd likely need to have Bluetooth turned on your phone & then strap it directly to your head 24hrs a day for months/years on end to be a able to measure any specific detrimental brain function? They'd also have to take into consideration the natural effects of aging, beer drinking etc. though so it would be a tricky study. Razz
Turning Bluetooth on your phone while you went to busy areas, like shopping centres, to trace posiible COVID-19 contacts would be pretty negligible to brain function when you consider everything else that is already around us now?

mbasko
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2017-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:44 am

Some interesting info here re the CV19:
https://www.livescience.com/new-coronavirus-compare-with-flu.html
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2015-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post  yellowmellow Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:58 pm

do we think detecting will be allowed in 3 weeks time when the first lot of restrictions will be eased
yellowmellow
yellowmellow
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1694
Registration date : 2009-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:59 pm

Less the answer comes directly from government, none of us here can answer that for certain Tim. One things for sure & due to the effects of COVID-19, is that they'll be treading with the utmost of caution when it comes to the easing up of restrictions.
Bellow is a video of what Australia hopes never to see happening on our shores & although I'm not much into any form of conspiracy theory, I thought it might explain things a little better.

https://youtu.be/_8NkuVId2Lw

Cheers Kon.
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:40 am

We are constantly being told to not wear masks if you are healthy and without the virus (how do you know )because they are needed for our health workers and that there is a supply shortage.....Utter BS....OK for the general population of 23,000,000 to get sick but not the health workers
     Germany has just made it law for every citizen in the country to wear masks while outside....(No shortage over there.) in order to help avoid contracting and/or  spreading the virus....Sounds logical to me. So what stunt is being pulled on us.

Last edited by adrian ss on Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:10 am; edited 1 time in total
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:46 am

lol!

Last edited by davsgold on Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  yellowmellow Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:50 am

the million billion $ question is when will the economy finally only start to open up
yellowmellow
yellowmellow
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1694
Registration date : 2009-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:03 am

davsgold wrote:We must listen and take notice of the "Experts" for they are never wrong Laughing

We are being controlled by a lot of EX sperts at the moment all of whom are dripping bs in vast quantities.
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  TuronYellowFever Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:46 am

Getting so bloody annoyed with the shutdown measures. I can go and brush shoulders with a few hundred people in Bunnings or Coles but I can't go bush by myself for the day, how ridiculous. For some reason there's a belief that we'll be back open for business in a few weeks, even Wayne Pearce is promising to have the NRL up and running by the 28th May, what nonsense!! Is there some kind of miracle vaccine or cure coming out next month that we're not aware of ?

I think we all need to realize that Covid is still in it's very early stages, no vaccine in sight. We appear to be in a stalemate, if we don't open up again soon the economy will be irreparably damaged and if we do open up Covid will be off and running just in time for flu season. Now tensions flaring between the Yanks and China and the big boys will be looking for a way to get that crude oil price back over $30 per barrel, very dangerous times.

Just let people go bush and enjoy the best type of social distancing there is.

TuronYellowFever
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2008-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  moredeep Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:35 am

Yes I've been yelled at "stay at home" but as you've stated turonyellowfever,these large retail outlets are doing a roaring trade.
I don't get it ,I suppose they handed out all this cash and want people to spent it???
As my relative who works at a large retail out let said  "what part of essential buying relates to the purchasing of cushions and lamps for gods sake"
They may have done this on purpose so you and I have something to grizzle about Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing [diversion therapy]
By the way; my pet hate is the little out of the way tennis court near me is still getting a flogging at the moment   Question
Hang in theeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere What a Face

cheers  moredeep
moredeep
moredeep
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:44 am

lol!

Last edited by davsgold on Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  planetcare Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:10 pm

davsgold wrote:

Conspiracy, or deliberate time will tell, but like you I am getting sick of waiting, things should be opening up and getting back to normal, not this "New Normal" FFS

There is near no one getting the virus and it is well and truly contained here in Aus, so if you dont have in now and no one around you has it how the hell are you going to get it anyway, lest just get back on with the things we want to do.

Australia is doing better than almost any other country in  containing the virus.
If  the Gov follows your advice and "opens up" everything then  the infection numbers will explode as will the number of deaths and all the  hard work and sacrifices we have all made will be down the drain!
The virus is not yet fully contained as new infections. are still being  detected eg the recent cluster of new cases in Vic. Getting back to" normal" is not an  option unless we are all  prepared to accept thousands of new deaths!

planetcare
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 739
Registration date : 2019-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:29 pm

Sleep

Last edited by davsgold on Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  planetcare Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:52 pm

davsgold wrote:
planetcare wrote:
davsgold wrote:

Conspiracy, or deliberate time will tell, but like you I am getting sick of waiting, things should be opening up and getting back to normal, not this "New Normal" FFS

There is near no one getting the virus and it is well and truly contained here in Aus, so if you dont have in now and no one around you has it how the hell are you going to get it anyway, lest just get back on with the things we want to do.

Australia is doing better than almost any other country in  containing the virus.
If  the Gov follows your advice and "opens up" everything then  the infection numbers will explode as will the number of deaths and all the  hard work and sacrifices we have all made will be down the drain!
The virus is not yet fully contained as new infections. are still being  detected eg the recent cluster of new cases in Vic. Getting back to" normal" is not an  option unless we are all  prepared to accept thousands of new deaths!

I'm not saying to open up everything all at once, but some businesses can surely open gradually, if for example it is still and always was ok for hairdressers to stay open etc then surely it is ok for say a Gym to open and a gradual basis with limited members at a time, just one example.

The big shops can be open for trade as normal just by limiting the amount of customers in the shops at a time, surely small businesses can apply the same principal to there shops

No one want to see thousands of deaths obviously and here in Os that was never the case anyway even with the "Claytons" boarders closed to overseas travelers, and the Ruby Princess fiasco just show how easily things can get through with out the proper checks, very lax checking on that one and we all saw the results, with no doubt ongoing  legal challenges on that one.

If you want to see the consequences  of a more relaxed approach to  the corona virus  then look at Sweden which has about half Australia's population: Infections 16,755, new infections 751, deaths 2021, new deaths 84
Compare to Australia Infections 6,667,new infections 18, deaths 75, new deaths 1
Sweden permits  many of things that you would like to see happen here.So are we prepared to take the risks of trading more lives for more economic activity and personal freedoms?

planetcare
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 739
Registration date : 2019-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:42 pm

Sleep

Back to top Go down

Post  boobook Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:59 pm

Yes Dave, I totally agree.
And what about these poor buggers with farm property on both sides of the Qld./NSW border with bridge crossings barricaded with only daily permit crossing access. In many cases this makes for a detour of both distance and travel time whilst they are still battling in trying to recover from the drought.
One would think we live in six different countries.

boobook
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2011-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:44 pm

Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:23 pm

Fellas, you guys know the saying "better safe than sorry" Is not our government & the measures the're taking for the sake of us all, or does anyone on here think they've got nothing better to do, than to squander/waste countless $billions of borrowed dollars, keeping us all alive? Would it have been better they kept everything operating as normal, disregarding the cost to life?   Are not the sound measures/precautions they have taken in order to control/prevent the spread of this virus not good enough?
It is most unfortunate considering the type of virus outbreak we're dealing with, that we cannot have it both ways. Shutting down ones economy is certainly detrimental to all concerned, especially when we talk of long term shutdown, but allowing this virus to take its own course & hope for the best, would have to be, insane in thought. Its one or the other, we simply cannot have it both ways.
The more the government gets on top of this virus, in way of quick response/control of any future minor outbreaks (considering the contraction/death rate is one of the lowest in the world) & the more civilians in general do the right thing by one another, adhering to what has been set down before us, the sooner restrictions will be eased/lifted.
I for one, am not into nor have ever been in favour regarding the ventriloquism/rhetoric of politics, dished out by politicians, but am so glad that the early intervention taken by our government, towards bringing the figures of infection/death rate to a mere minimum, than a catastrophic maximum, are to be applauded/commended.
Some here spoke about Sweden & how relaxed they were about COVID-19 in its early stage, now I think the swedes might have regretted the decisions they took, by not acting fast enough. Just one of several nations that thought, lets wait a little while longer in order to see what happens, before introducing strict measures, only to deeply regret, their handling of the matter now.
We all know that some decisions by government, will not be quite right, nor in the best interests of many an individual, but to fully open up one door for some & not others will be asking that they open it up for all, giving rise to a new COVID-19 wave, with even more dire/devastating consequences.
As for the school kids going back to school & not having to abide by the stringent measures of distancing, COVID-19 discriminates not & the moment one child or teacher tests positive to COVID-19, watch what happens to that school. Shocked
The times we face are not easy & we're all suffering to some degree, but as change is inevitable, so to will this COVID-19 virus crisis pass. Patience is whats needed here fellas, patience.

Cheers Kon. T25
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:46 am

moredeep wrote:It's a funny thing technology and the illogical fear of it,especially when it comes to the old mobile phone.
It's very strange that most of us embrace with open arms when a new detector comes out but when it comes to a mobile phone we /you become true Luddites.
I noted how many metal detectors people on this forum have had/got ,very impressive collection of detecting technology. 

But when it comes to phones we tend to be a stick in the mud ,why is it? I noted Adrian still has his [star trek inspired flip phone] and Pete unsure of Bluetooth technology.
It is a strange phenomenon when it comes to these devices,I for one was guilty of not wanting to give up the old flip phone.
I was encouraged [shamed] by my better half to get out of the dark ages and join the 21st century and to my surprise it was like getting a new wiz bang detector .
And for those who can drive new detectors can surely cope with any wiz bang phone technology, roll with the punches Laughing Laughing Laughing

cheers  moredeep

Oi! Leave my flip phone alone. I like my flip phone. It can call and receive voice, sms, Pics, video, and can connect to the net n take photo's.
It is tough as nails and has not cracked or broken after being dropped from great hights several times.

I have an Ipod (yes they still exist)n Tablet n laptop that almost never get used.
When I see people walking around talking into their giant slab ingots I just have a bit of a chuckle.

They remind me of this:
No I am not having a dig at this custom. It is simply what i think of when I see people talking into their slab.
corona virus crisis and detecting - Page 8 Rscn1114
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  PeterInSa Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:49 am

Re.... I like (Wifes) flip phone. It can call and receive voice, sms, Pics, video, and can connect to the net n take photo's.
It is tough as nails....

And has an aerial socket so can connect to a roof top Broomstick Mob Phone Aerial on the Cruiser or a Broom Stick Mob Phone Aerial on top of the TV aerial in our Tandem Caravan and with a Telstra Sim Card have phone and the Internet way out from rural towns in WA.

PeterInSa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 276
Registration date : 2018-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post  moredeep Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:35 am

lol!
I must admit it took me a very long time to let go of my flip,still have in the junk draw for emergency back up cheers
originally those disc were inserted into the lips to make them less attractive and to stop them being taken for the slave trade????is this correct 

cheers   moredeep
moredeep
moredeep
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:36 pm

jocolor

Last edited by davsgold on Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:54 pm

moredeep wrote:lol!
I must admit it took me a very long time to let go of my flip,still have in the junk draw for emergency back up cheers
originally those disc were inserted into the lips to make them less attractive and to stop them being taken for the slave trade????is this correct 

cheers   moredeep

That is one theory. So much time has passed since the practice began that people have forgotten the true reason for the lip plugs.
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  PeterInSa Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:47 pm

Re...So much time has passed since the practice began that people have forgotten the true reason for..... Fems wearing jeans with rips at the knees.

I can't stand it, cut the legs off and wear as shorts ( but only around the house)

PeterInSa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 276
Registration date : 2018-11-05

Back to top Go down

corona virus crisis and detecting - Page 8 Empty Re corona virus and detecting

Post  xmas tree Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:28 pm

They were designed so they could discreetly pan for gold whilst pretending to drink at the rivers edge!!

xmas tree
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2016-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:09 pm

Shocked Q24 Q35 Good one xmas tree. On another note, well, of all the barking/squawking/complaining about the newly introduced government app, for the better monitoring of COVID-19 amongst people, that didn't take to long. The government were hoping to get a million people on the app within the first 4 days of introduction, instead they got a million people on it within the first 5 hrs. Q35 So much for all the great concerns of infringement of privacy the app might have? Q35 "They may take our lives, but they will never take our freedom" Shocked Q35

Cheers Kon. T25

Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 14 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next