Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking for my first detector

3 posters

Go down

Looking for my first detector Empty Looking for my first detector

Post  bogger Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:33 am

Hi all new to the site just like some help im am looking at getting a whites GMT as my first detector is that good or bad choices ???? Very Happy

bogger
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2012-07-07

Back to top Go down

Looking for my first detector Empty Re: Looking for my first detector

Post  Guest Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:51 am

HI Bogger
Bad choice,Look at getting a Minelab PI machine preferably with auto tracking.You dont have to shell out $6000 to get a great machine.The gps series are streets ahead of the whites.
Cheers Dig
So are the sds for that fact

Back to top Go down

Post  bogger Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:43 pm

thank you Dig24crt so the X-TERRA 705 with gold pack be ok,

bogger
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:01 pm

Na Bog
The above is the only real option.If you can afford it go with Minelab Pi Machines.Sd preferably sd2200d then gpxextreme gp 3000 and so on.These all are professional machines that handle Australian Soils.Most of the gold found with detectors in Oz is found with this series of machines,and its not as if even any other machines come close to their capabilities( like comparing a 1600cc torana to a V8 supercar) no comparison.
Cheers Dig

Last edited by Dig24crt on Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)

Back to top Go down

Post  Digginerup Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:38 pm

Good advice Dig24crt,I'm in your camp until I learn otherwise Vrrrroooom!!!Vrrroooom!!!V8.... Cool thats your PI machines, chugachuggachugga theres the others. lol!
Digginerup
Digginerup
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2399
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Back to top Go down

Post  bogger Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:26 pm

Hi all got my detector today a sd2200d at an auction for $500 hope that a good price for that now i have to work out how to use it Very Happy

bogger
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  pipeclay Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:19 am

2200 for $500 is an absolute bargain. If it did not come with a user manual - cut and paste this into Google:
http://www.minelab.com/aus/consumer/knowledge-base/product-manuals , then go to the list that says 'product archive' then download the 2200 manual as a pdf. (All types of manuals are listed here as well).
My advice? Follow a lot of forum members and get the small 7.3 v battery set-up. It lighter than the set up that comes with the 2200, if thats what you got.
The setting I use are: deep, fixed, and all metal. But this is after several years running my 2200 so I know what the varous noises are (rubbish etc). You may want to run it in tracking with the discriminator on the start with. I would run it in all metal - the only way to learn the noises, especially ground noise. Depending on where you detect, you may want to start off with DD coils only due to the noises with the mono. Good luck - Stawell and Ararat look promising places.
pipeclay
pipeclay
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2012-06-23

Back to top Go down