Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Current Information on Hill End

+12
lbg dreamer
Show Me The Gold
MS
Inhere
Tributer
chopppacalamari
spidertice
rabs
Narrawa
madmax800
nero_design
goldentim
16 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Current Information on Hill End Empty Current Information on Hill End

Post  goldentim Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:42 pm

Hey everyone, Just wondering how the Hill End and Sofala areas are going for detecting?. Haven't been out there in quiet along time now. Do many patches get found these days? I remmber looking for the areas of deep lead gravels where an ancient river wash was laying over the peaks of hills, still the go ya recon?.. I might be heading out that way in the next few weeks, better put the gatiors on as the snakes would surely be out by now!. got to love summer early.
thanks
Tim
goldentim
goldentim
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Back to top Go down

Current Information on Hill End Empty Re: Current Information on Hill End

Post  nero_design Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:00 pm

Hill End is still a lively spot but more often for the day-tripper wanting to pay a visit and admire the preserved Goldtown. You can still pan and detect there but, like the nearby town of Sofala, it's not likely to give up patches unless you get permission to visit a privately owned property there.

Gold still shows up in pans and nuggets are still found today. Mostly by the locals who also sluice there.

Worth a visit either way. Avoid speeding on the unsealed road with all the hair-pin bends. Caution is needed in low light due to kangaroos on the road, especially if it's been raining. The Gold from Hill End is VERY nice. Occasional ironstone inclusions in some specimens. Wattle Flat has way too much trash for my tastes.

Cheers,

Marco
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:30 pm

Hillend has been firing since as long as I can remember. A bazillion patches still to be found and not just on private property. I know of atleast 4 oz coming out of there in the last couple of weeks (not saying were though sorry) and none of it on private land. You can get lost in the miles upon miles of crown land.
Most are specimens to a degree, both quartz and iron stone.
Often you can have the place to yourself for days on end and rarely see another person, occasionaly a bus tour of school kids panning and once a month the ML training day will hit Tambaroora. But that's for a few hours then it's all yours again.

Last edited by madtuna on Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:02 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  nero_design Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:53 pm

Current Information on Hill End Medium Current Information on Hill End Medium

The topo maps make it look like there's a lot of Crown Land there but Hill End Gold Limited (a Mining Company) claim to have a "blanket lease" on virtually all of Hill End and they over-ran three of the four designated fossicking areas some years ago. They generally ignore the day-fossicker but will run you off if you approach the open cut areas or the active mining zones. Numerous unmarked leases persist both within the Crown Land regions and also occur in several patches that the Bridle Track runs through. Boundaries and fences do not always present themselves and you must leave an area if asked to do so by a person with authority (Rangers, Police & owners). It's been suggested that anyone claiming to have found reasonable gold as far away as the Upper Turon, may have to answer to the Mining companies if it was found on their large leases. And they may forfeit it. A bunch of guys claimed to have pulled over on the Bridle Track recently and were then cut off by a mining truck. The crew in the mining truck (which was labeled to identify it as such) went through their 4x4 looking for metal detectors. No idea what that was about but it is worth noting. Legally, only the Police would have been authorized to search a vehicle so perhaps there's more to the story. Dope growers have been arrested up towards the remaining designated fossicking area. A few people showing off gold that they'd claimed to have found there have been showing the same bits of gold for years, telling people they dug it up that morning (LOL). The locals at Hill End consist of three main family lines and many hark back to the days of the early Prospectors from the 1800's. I detect several private properties up there which have not seen a metal detector. The results are usually very good on properties there although many contain expensive cattle and deep, hazardous shafts and they may not want the risks associated with strangers on their property. Still, plenty of people rent a GPX for the day or two and find nothing at all up there ....and, when pressed, the locals claim to have spent many years picking up all the gold they could find. Anyone saying there's plenty of gold up there to be detected and picked up is kidding because of the hundreds of people I've spoken to who have visited this area, 98% of them have been very disappointed - I suspect they felt it would be easy to find and dig. They conduct the Minelab Adventurer's Club training at Hill End so owners of new SD/GPX detectors will sometimes be seen there for the training day. The guy doing the training lives there and he can tell you an awful lot about current and recent finds.

Although Crown Land seems to cover the entire region, quite a few portions are owned now ( some are leases) and the topographical maps are considered to be in need of an update. But don't throw your old maps away just yet because the Govt Dept producing them is going to discontinue placing digs and mining icons on future editions. Future topo maps will be just that... topography. There have been some incidents with dope growers in areas close to where Madtuna detects (!) and also close to the remaining designated fossicking area ... so it may pay to use a speaker instead of earphones so you can be more aware of your surroundings. Be careful where you pitch a tent too because locals (and even the local police wagon) have been known to do a little recreational driving through the bush, on occasion taking out a tent or two. Be sure not to detect within town limits as the entire township is protected under a Heritage Protection Order. These regions can be identified on the Toppo maps by a larger, older-style font and you will see the Historic area in three zones, which cover the township.

For more specific details, stop in at the museum there which is staffed by Parks officers and they'll help you with any inquiries and directions. Stay at the Hill End Pub for a night and enjoy the BBQ dinners they do there. Very tasty! The rooms are cheap and very old. Tavern staff are helpful if you have any requests. There's a camping area close to the township and the pub can sell you bottled water if you need any. The girls who work at the hotel tell me it snowed there once in the middle of December - and, as this is an arid region, it pays to bring some warmer clothes with you just in case it gets cold. It's still close to zero at night at the moment as we are still in winter. Summer can be unbearably hot there and the fly plagues seem to more of a problem in September to November. Be sure to visit the museum if you haven't been there before, it's small but it's not expensive... and it contains a lot of interesting artifacts from yesterday.

Current Information on Hill End Medium Current Information on Hill End Medium
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

cloneme likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:25 pm

Sorry to disagree Marco, but mate you have to get out of the shop and actually detect there for once, instead of listening to rumours and stories.
There's dope plants all through the Aussie bush, just like in suburban backyards. But the area is not booby trapped with armed drug lords dropping wayward prospectors down mine shafts.
Anyone who ses up a tent on a bush track is an idiot who deserves to get run over, it's about the only way you will, camping out there is very safe. The local copper isn't in the habit of running over campers just as HE Gold doesn't rummage through campers vehicles on the Bridle Track.

Common sence dictates you be aware of boundaries before you go into any area.

Any gold I mention coming out of an area is either gold I witnessed coming out of the ground, pulled out myself or personally know the guy who did. Not the same stuff that some blokes flash about year after year...or bought on Ebay and claim the found Shocked
I have never been to Hillend and NOT came home with gold, This past Sunday got me just over 5grams plus an 1843 thrupence.

Honestly Marco, I have no idea who you get your info off, nor how you assume to know where I detect, but I've been going to HE and Sofala for 35 years+. I must be down a mine shaft sniffing wierd gases when all this goes on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HgWHzioJOY&feature=channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUhXc5Jy3ec&feature=channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTrWrAcJc3s&feature=channel

Back to top Go down

Post  madmax800 Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:37 pm

Thanks the the great post, loved the movies.

Living here in Adelaide pisses me off.

I have to travel to Victoria to serch.

Never been detecting in that area

Regards
John
madmax800
madmax800
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 374
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:12 pm

Marco anyone wandering around operating mining areas unauthorized has got a couple of screws loose of course they will nab ya think about it "public liability" .
Locals driving over tents even coppers? you for real the locals i have chated to are bloody nice people not back a#se country red necks driving around yelling YAHOO.
Guess you don't camp much in the bush do you bit too risky? i find it divine sitting next to the fire getting half cut have never had any reason to ever feel threatened, and as much as it pains me to agree with MT (hes mad ya know bounce ) hes spot on.
I like MT have been going to the Turon river area for 20+ years and its nothing like you have mentioned.
Regards

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:10 am

As an ex resident of HE iv never heard so much BS Laughing Laughing
Marco, for some one who knows so much about HE, you should at least be able to spell Tambaroora. Laughing
picky i know, but to read so much BS is concerning for those of us who
frequent the area to catch up with old folk from times past & to do
a little fossicking on the side,, really your starting to bring back
memories from the post on Eagle Beagle you did on here that was just as
much BS as the post above.
Could you pick on areas that you have personally had something to do with for a change?
The only thing people should be warned about is the bridle track &
the fact that there is no safety barriers to stop you from falling into
oblivion should you be stupid enough to not understand the warnings on
the board that occupies a great deal of bill board as you enter the
track.
Fairdinkem mate! you need to come get p!ssed with real prospectors out
in the bush at HE where big cats & yowies are often seen after a
few shots of whiskey.
I mean to say, just the other night after a few i was talking to tuna
whilst digging a target & asked if he could hold my grog while i
dig the hole, the funny thing was, i dont remember tuna being 7ft tall,
black & hairy.... that was you wasn't it .....tuna?....burp!
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:34 am

nope...wasn't me mate ???? may have been the same beast that crapped in my coffee cup that amused you pair so much! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post  nero_design Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:55 am

Freshwater, the locals are great. Generally speaking, they're really lovely people. Some of the teenagers can get a little loutish but nothing too bad. Guys, I'm not upset that you disagree with me. I'm posting what I see, experience, hear and have photographed. I'm sharing what I have if people ask. Some people seem to want to paint a picture of serene tranquility when
in fact there's a strongly fostered attitude in the region of suspicion
when it comes to "out of towners" - although the locals will freely admit
that the town would suffer without the weekend prospector.

I've chosen not to address some of the more threatening jackasses out there in the Sofala to Hill-End region. The majority of the trouble makers are city folk who head out there and cause a few problems. The locals are fairly aloof until you get to spend some time with them. But there's a lot of really stupid things that go on out there and if you've spent a lot of time in the areas, you would know this.

I've been visiting the Turon and the surrounding districts (including Hill End) month after month for a number of years now. I'm regularly invited to properties for social reasons by numerous Prospectors and I spend way too much time examining the minerals and wildlife or interviewing locals than is financially practical. Now when I'm in the city, I spend every single day talking to Prospectors and exchanging information. Some are experienced, others are new to the hobby. I spend a LOT of time in discussion with people who live, work and operate businesses in the Hill End/Sofala region... It won't make me an expert on the region but it DOES make me rather informed.

Madtuna, I caught your jibe and don't appreciate it. There's simply no need. We've talked about this before.
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:48 am

Sorry Marco, what jibe? I simply addressed issues you raised that I not only disagree with but find completely fanciful and more like the makings of poor fiction.
You gave your experiences of the area, we gave ours, and ours are gleaned through years of living in and or visiting the area. I'm not saying you are making it up, what I'm saying is that if you are basing it on what people are telling you then I suspect you are being misinformed, told exagerations and plain old porkies.

Readers have a right to hear other opinions. If I was contemplating my first trip to the area, having read only your post, I would think long and hard and maybe contemplate somewhere else instead, dismissing HillEnd as a waste of time.

Can I ask how many times you've actually been to HillEnd? because here you say month after month for a number of years but on another forum you state you first ever time detecting and first ever trip to the NSW gold fields was in November 2007. What real experiance do you base your assumptions of the area on?

Back to top Go down

Post  goldentim Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:12 am

hey fellas, I loved those YouTube videos that first nugget is a beauty, my mate found a 2.6oz nugget down in Wedderburn the other week when I was down there with him, it was 5 inches down thats it and sounded like a coke can..haha.. I have been out to hill end quiet a few times, never had any issue at all other than being pissed off at the price of unleaded fuel there, crazy. I have found one nugget out there going back a few years, a 1.6gram nugget.
does anyone know if the camping ground is open now? i know they are shut during the winter months.... or when is the camping ground open?. I do admit I love a hot shower everyday (even if I do have to pay all of 20c)..haha..
thanks fellas and hope I didnt stir the pot too much with my post, NSW can be a good place for us gold prospectors still.
cheers
goldentim
goldentim
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:19 am

Hi Tim! and thanks, have a bunch to upload yet from nuggets at HillEnd...lousy camera work I'm sorry.
The campground in town is always open but the other one I think you're refering to was shut the other week though I didn't look this last weekend.
I normally camp out on the fields somewhere and duck into town for a shower only when I start to stink so much I cant even stand myself Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  goldentim Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:06 pm

ahh, I didnt realise there is a camping ground in town? where abouts is that one and if its always open thats a bonus. Does it have showers also?.. yeah the one over the top of the hill past the water tanks on the left is the one I know about, its a big camping area and cost a few bucks a night.
goldentim
goldentim
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:23 pm

Hi Tim,
it's in Clarke St..turn right just past the general store. Showers, dunnys, BBQs, water and powered sites if you want. I think it's the same prices as the one in Lees lane.

Cheers!

Back to top Go down

Current Information on Hill End Empty hill end

Post  rabs Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:50 pm

Hey Guys, I have read this post with much interest, you regulars to Hill End seem to be my kinda people (Madtuna Etc), maybe we could organise some kind of trip one weekend, I'm fully self sufficient with 4x4 and camper trailer, shower, kitchen etc etc, sold my detector a while back (couldn't get out due to work) so I dont have one currently but would be happy to dig signals for anyone for the experience. love a good feed from the campoven and numerous beers n bourbons around the fire swapping stories and generally soaking up the great bush this country has. have got pans etc so some panning would be good also. Ive got all the topo maps needed for the area and live tracking via GPS. let me know if any trip may be getting organised in the future.

Cheers
Rabs
rabs
rabs
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2009-07-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:07 pm

just emailed you Rabs! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Current Information on Hill End Empty re hows hill end going nowadays

Post  spidertice Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:48 pm

Hey Guys, I have read this post with much interest, you regulars to Hill End seem to be my kinda people (Madtuna Etc), maybe we could organise some kind of trip one weekend, I'm fully self sufficient with 4x4 and camper trailer, shower, kitchen etc etc, sold my detector a while back (couldn't get out due to work) so I dont have one currently but would be happy to dig signals for anyone for the experience. love a good feed from the campoven and numerous beers n bourbons around the fire swapping stories and generally soaking up the great bush this country has. have got pans etc so some panning would be good also. Ive got all the topo maps needed for the area and live tracking via GPS. let me know if any trip may be getting organised in the future

hate to dissapiont rabs,,but contrare to earlier posts,, but there will be no banjo music,,, Shocked and no canoe rides Shocked Shocked Very Happy
spidertice
spidertice
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2009-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:51 pm

squeal piggy! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:59 pm

Just under 1/2 oz of typical Hill End small stuff from .1 to 1.5g

Current Information on Hill End Damandhe010

Current Information on Hill End Damandhe

notice the top one resembles a rooster? I call it my "chicken mcnugget" Ronald McDonald offered me $7000 for it but I kocked it back cause my cat's grown fond of it Very Happy

Last edited by madtuna on Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:18 pm

hate to dissapiont rabs,,but contrare to earlier posts,, but there will be no banjo music,,, Shocked and no canoe rides Shocked Shocked Very Happy[/quote]

I have a guitar, & there is a piece of corrugated tin at our campsit, we could fold it into a canoe Rolling Eyes Very Happy
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:27 pm

and when I bend over sans pants I look like that kid on the bridge

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:18 am

Rabs, Saddle up partner, your in luck, a crew is heading out there very soon, but i have 1st dibs on you digging holes for me & i like my steak well done & my whiskey cold, after dark my port is to be room temp & i favour this from my old tin coffee cup, pour slowly please.

Walk behind me not in front when carrying my pick or i'll yell at you.
Speak only when its necessary or i may miss a target in which you will pay for if Tuna finds it latter.
After a stint of detecting my feet will be sore, you will have to
remove my boots right before left, rub gently to sour the feeling as my
feet are ticklish, then you may proceed to rub harder, have clean hands as my feet will be clean from my sweaty socks, fairs fair.
Around the camp-fire, after detecting hrs are over, 12am till 3am you will be required to keep the fire at a steady temp, if coffee is required by the troops i must be 1st to receive mine, they can wait! do not allow the billy to boil dry, sunshine milk tins are not the same any more, gather more wood, im getting cold.
A night cap before the fart sack is always appreciated, pour slowly once again & try not this time to fill my cup above the merkensmeel line.( thats the grubby ring mark left around the inner side of the mug ) have not worked out why this is there.
12pm, good morning its time to rise, will be the signal heard from you in no more then a 5dB voice as my coffee is placed in my hand before my eyes are open, dont worry about the others, they can wait.
We normally do a stint of detecting before any consumption of food so have my 3 bacon & egg rolls ready so i can inhale them before i sit down to drink my coffee that is mellowing at the foot of my chair when you have vision of me returning to camp to refuel., dont worry about the others, they can wait.
Any thing further required will be issued at the appropriate time, the experience will be worth its weight in gold im sure. Laughing Laughing

PS. will let you know when we are heading out again via PM...if ya still wonna come ? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:03 am

oh..and dont forget to pop into town to fetch the morning paper and fresh bread...you'll have to walk though I'm afraid...can't have a noisey motor vehicle waking us up Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Current Information on Hill End Empty hill end

Post  rabs Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:27 am

Thank you massa as be a good boy

Cheers

rabs
rabs
rabs
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2009-07-22

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:21 pm

Hey
Have been reading this post with interest... growing up halfway betweem Sofala and Hill End why wouldnt I.... Marco u make it sound like the wild west... mate I have alot of friends there and I think that u may b exaggerating just a tad. I go there about 3 - 5 times a year and I dont think things have gone belly up in that short of time.

If some mining company pulled me over and searched my car I would have them up for 1. detaining me against my will. 2. stealing money from my wallet and gold from my kit that was legally found and 3. trespassing by entering my vehicle. The local copper there is a top bloke with a young family if he 'ran' someone down in their tents then perhaps they were camped on a main track as I cant imagine him doing it intentionally. I will ask him about it next month as will be spending two weeks there and will b at his place for a BBQ.

As for staying at the Royal hotel... I took my first g/friend there back in about 1973 and after that we camped down on the bridal track near the junction of the Macquarie and the Turon Rivers... I would rather camp there then any hotels... something about camping that makes this prospecting business well worth it... if u r going to enjoy the bush by prospecting then enjoy it ... staying at a hotel is not enjoying it well not for me anyway...

I really hope that H/End and Sofala havent changed as they are such great places to go and I would recommend them to anyone wanting to start out prospecting.

Last edited by raymondj on Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:40 pm

Give us a hoy when you're out that way Ray, would be good to meet up! Im there most weekends.
I grew up in Bathurst, Hillend and Sofala, went to school in Bathurst.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:45 pm

...mate will PM u when I am going... I also know that area very very well...

Last edited by raymondj on Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:12 pm; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post  chopppacalamari Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:18 pm

And dont forget to wash Madtuna's cup out twice before adding coffee. It may have something extra in the bottom of it. LOL.
chopppacalamari
chopppacalamari
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2008-12-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:50 pm

being a confirmed meatasaraus it would probably have been the most vegies I've eaten in a long while Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next