Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

skid plates

3 posters

Go down

skid plates Empty skid plates

Post  papoutsi Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:04 pm

Met a guy detecting that told me not to use skid plates , he says makes the coil a lot more sensitive with out it . Worried now l will damage coil , what do you guys think or experienced with this . cheers Papoutsi

papoutsi
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 621
Registration date : 2012-02-16

Back to top Go down

skid plates Empty Re: skid plates

Post  CostasDee Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:12 pm

Gooday papoutsi,
I pondered this question a little time ago and can undertand that it would make the coil ever so slightly less sensitive (as the skidplate is a very thin piece of plastic), but I figured that with the skidplate on I would allow myself to scrub it into the ground but if I took the skidplate off, any slight advantage in sensitivity would be lost due to me not wanting to scrub it into the ground. So for me, keeping the skid plate on outweighed the idea of running without the skidplate.
Another factor would be that I believe (although not positive) tha you would void your warranty if you scrubbed it with no skidplate...
Cheers
CostasDee
CostasDee
Management

Number of posts : 3971
Registration date : 2010-11-23

Back to top Go down

skid plates Empty Re-Skid plates

Post  Guest Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:28 pm

Hi I remember seeing something about warranty avoided if you used the coil without skid plate when I bought my first N.F 14" coil.
Cheers
Mike.

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:57 am

G'day Papoutsi.

The only true purpose of using a coil without a skid plate is to gain a little less overall weight.The sensitivity gain without skid plate on as CostasDee stated is very minor, compared to the advantages of ducking,weaving & scrubbing a coil on or near the ground,through a scrubby environment or through a rough uneven rocky gully or creek.Remember every inch off the ground is an inch less in the ground.It is more preferable to put up with the noise of an odd hot rock than keeping the coil high off the ground.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  papoutsi Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:14 pm

thanks guys will keep using skid plate , not a great weight gain using skid plates anyway . was told by shop to use tape to seal skid plate as not to get soil between the two , but found tape didn't work . and its a lot easier to clean dirt out un taped . cheers papoutsi

papoutsi
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 621
Registration date : 2012-02-16

Back to top Go down