Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cleaning your skid plates

+6
wil
GoldstalkerGPX
xenon
phill
kon61
kiwijw
10 posters

Go down

Cleaning your skid plates Empty Cleaning your skid plates

Post  Guest Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:22 am

Something I've sadly neglected in the past when cleaning my gear is arguably the most important part of the outfit and the part most prone to abuse, the coil and skid plate.

I have always religiously checked my skid plates for wear and cracks but if the tape looked good, it stayed put until either the tape or the skid plate needed replacing. Depending on the ground I am detecting on, this could be a few weeks or many months.

During a recent rainy period which kept me holed up inside, I decided to pull all my coil covers off, give the coils and the plates a good scrubbing and a fresh winding of Tessa tape.
I was amazed and somewhat ashamed at the amount of dirt, grass seeds and moisture that acumulated under my spoked coils and even my solid coils had moisture and dirt which had managed to pass the tape barrier.

My skid plates now get removed weekly and even more regularly when detecting in high dust or damp grass. As a result, my coils are quieter and suffer far less falsing which also means less frustration and more nuggets in the jar.

If your coil is getting noisy or falsing, it may be time for a clean out.

Last edited by madtuna on Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Cleaning your skid plates Empty Re: Cleaning your skid plates

Post  kiwijw Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:28 am

Damn good point MT. Something so obvious. Its always the simple things that are over looked.

Happy hunting

JW Smile
kiwijw
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1886
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:17 am

thanks for the tip madtuna i'll have to get some tape and clean my coils out now...
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:36 am

Morning Gents.

Tuna,very good point.As kiwijw said,"so obvious yet so simple to overlook". Looks like Iv got some cleaning and re-taping to do.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  phill Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:54 am

Then suddenly.... there was this rush on Tessa tape!!!
Nice one Tuna!
Phill.
phill
phill
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  xenon Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:02 am

Sorry to sound dumb, but I am new to this. Does it have to be TESSA TAPE, and what exactly is tessa tape. Would masking tape frron your local hardware shop do the same job.
Thanks
xenon
xenon
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2011-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:56 pm

as above lol - a good reminder to us all !

sorry xenon, can't help with your question (someone with more knowledge should be able to help you out). but remember, on this forum, there are NO dumb questions.

Last edited by DiggerJack on Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:57 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : can't spell for S$%#)

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:31 pm

Last edited by GoldstalkerGPX on Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:42 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : I'm a dumbass)
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:30 pm

how often do you replace your skids?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:02 pm

thanks for the tip madtuna. i`ve taken off so many worn skid plates that were full of dirt and it never occurred to me to take one off and clean it before it wore out.
in answer to your question.
behind the desk.
http://thefullfool.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/wheres-waldo1.jpg
cheers
dave

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:58 pm

Last edited by GoldstalkerGPX on Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:43 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : pointless)
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:16 pm

Hi Xenon,
Tesa is just a brand name and is just used genericaly like bandaid is. There are probably numerous different brands and they could probably be purchased at hardware stores as well as any prospecting supply shop

and Dave...even with your clue it took me 5 minutes to find him! Embarassed

Back to top Go down

Post  wil Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:28 pm

Smile what a gem Tuna ! must keep that in mind, hey were U leaving skid marks behind that prompted U to clean it out LOL.
hope to catch up again soon M8. hoping to get out your way in april, if your around might catch up for a beer or coffee.
Wil

wil
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2008-12-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:29 pm

lol Wil...mate long over due for a catch up! looking forward to it!

Back to top Go down

Post  xenon Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:04 am

Thanks guys,

Appreciate the feedback.
xenon
xenon
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2011-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwijw Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:25 am

Murachu wrote:how often do you replace your skids?

Hi there Murachu & all, Think of a skid plate like a car tyre. When your tyre wears through it blows your tyre. The skid plate is there to protect the main coil body from wearing through & "blowing" your coil. So when the skid plate wears through it is time to replace it gefore you wear through your coil & knacker it.
I notice I have just worn the front nose edge of my coiltek mono 10" X 5" joey coil right through. My most used coil. I hadnt noticed this until I was down south on my last detecting trip. I took the skid plate off & turned it around as a quick on the spot fix. But I didnt use that coil very much this time around & didnt use it in shallow creeks to detect bed rock as water would have got in between the skid plate & coil.
Just out of interest, as this is the first skid plate I have worn through, where do your skid plates usually wear through? Mine was the front nose. Would this be the most common place?

Happy hunting

JW Smile
kiwijw
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:46 am

hi JW
i wear mine out at the 2 o`clock and 10 o`clock position
cheers
dave

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwijw Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:15 am

G'day Dave, On looking at mine again, being an elliptical, it is from the 10 oclock position to the 2 oclock position. So right around the front nose of the coil. Makes sense really as these are the edge points of pin pointing & poking & proding. Thanks for your reply Smile

Happy hunting

JW Smile
kiwijw
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:13 pm

The reason i asked is that an old prospector who has found bucket loads of gold since the 70s once told me "mate if your not replacing skids often you are not near enough to the ground" lol!

Back to top Go down

Post  Minermike Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:46 am

Tesa is a brand name and they make many good tapes. They do make masking tape so you have to make sure you get the right tape. If you know of Blackwoods, they stock Tesa tapes. They are German and have been in business for more than 30 yrs. that I know to.
I saw Jaycar selling some 50 mm wide tape for $20 a roll. They claimed it would even stop water leaks. Has any body tried it ? It might be worth throwing a roll in the truck.

Last edited by Minermike on Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling.)
Minermike
Minermike
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1595
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:17 pm

Minermike wrote:Tesa is a brand name and they make many good tapes. They do make masking tape so you have to make sure you get the right tape. If you know of Blackwoods, they stock Tesa tapes. They are German and have been in business for more than 30 yrs. that I know to.
I saw Jaycar selling some 50 mm wide tape for $20 a roll. They claimed it would even stop water leaks. Has any body tried it ? It might be worth throwing a roll in the truck.

I have a roll that Steve "threw in" when I bought my detector and have taped the skid plate as you do. Have also used it to repair a hole burnt into the tonneau cover of the ute and after being washed and out in the rain/sun it hasn't let any water in and has stayed in place without any of the corners lifting up etc. Been on there about 5 months now. Very impressed and yep for about 10 bucks may even give the old "Duct (duck) tape" a run for its money.
P.S. The roll I have is about 15mm wide.
Billy
Billy
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2011-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwijw Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:30 pm

Hi guys, Is there anything wrong with using the standard electrical tape that electricians use, to tape the coil covers on to the coils? Thanks

JW Smile
kiwijw
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Flakmagnet Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:18 am

kiwjiw,

The only reason I know of is that it does't hold up well at all
if you scrub your coil.
Some tapes also have a small metal component in their make-up,
but I don't think plain electrical tape does.

Flakmagnet
Flakmagnet
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post  detectoraid Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:43 am

There is another option to skid plates, tape and cleaning....

Coat the bottom and edges with a 2 part epoxy.

P7 is the brand name.

Bring those old fiberglass back to life!

Chris
detectoraid
detectoraid
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2008-12-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:25 pm

Hi, We use ordinary electrical tape (nitto) from any hardware store and put about 6 or 7 wraps around the coils. Only use this as when we first went detecting never had other tape and it was use electrical tape or nothing. A fellow detector that is now best mates alerted us to this and showed us why our coils had got noisy, dust being the cause. Certainly makes the skid plate last much much longer. Pull the first 3 or 4 wraps tighter and we have some going under edge of coil to help protect edges of skid plate from wear. I always have my coils on the ground lightly dragging them - low and slow will find more. with the spoked coils dust always gets in through the center spokes as you cannot get tape to hold there. When on gold fields during our prospecting getaways we always remove tape and clean out dust from between skid plate and coil. Dust always seems to make coils more noisy.
Cheers Travelergold

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwijw Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:19 pm

Hi guys, Thanks for all your replies. I have been using this electrical tape for a while & now feel a lot more confident using it. I was wondering if it may have been having an adverse effect. Many thanks & happy hunting.

JW Smile
kiwijw
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down