Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Skid Plates

Go down

Skid Plates Empty Skid Plates

Post  goldenbrown Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:56 pm

Hi guys,
Just wanted to say that from now on I'll pay more attention to cleaning my skid plates. I've been guilty of neglect and on the weekend I found a thin little wire inside one of my coils skid plates which I'm sure affected its performance, not to mention all the dirt too.
Cheers goldenbrown...
goldenbrown
goldenbrown
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2009-12-26

Back to top Go down

Skid Plates Empty Re: Skid Plates

Post  Guest Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:04 pm

goldenbrown wrote:Hi guys,
I've been guilty of neglect and on the weekend I found a thin little wire inside one of my coils skid plates which I'm sure affected its performance,
Cheers goldenbrown...

Someone playing a joke on you, Skid Plates Icon_lol maybe thought you were getting too much gold and wanted to slow you down a bit Skid Plates Icon_idea

Back to top Go down

Post  goldenbrown Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:08 pm

Skid Plates Icon_lol Nice one Davsgold, now you've got me thinking,
Better keep a close eye on my friends hey...lol
goldenbrown
goldenbrown
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2009-12-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:21 pm

Gday

Its good practice to get into the habit of removing your skid plates and giving the coil a bit of a clean up and re tape, if its been dry theres always a build up of dust between the coil and the plate, if you leave it in there and you get some rain the dust will turn to mud, and can cause some odd signals.

Also if there is any cracking or other damage to the coil body you might catch it while its still repairable, but once moisture gets into the coil then the damage could be permanent.

The other thing is that if you are a scraper (one thats scrapes the coils on the ground etc) the later coiltek and nuggetfinder coils have very thin skid plates as standard, and they can wear very quickly, if you are not checking them for wear then you might end up wearing into the coil body as well, and once again it may allow dust and moisture into the coil and ruin it.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down