Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

new coils and skid plates

4 posters

Go down

new coils and skid plates Empty new coils and skid plates

Post  joe82 Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:53 am

hi all, have been running the 12' and 15' EVO coils and as i think they are a great coil BUT, im finding it hard to keep skid plates on as the surface area for the tape doesnt allow it to hold properly and dirt and stuff keeps getting in under the plate just wondering how many feild testing hours where put in and did they even pick up on this problem Shocked has anyone else found this drama???? cheers joe,

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1156
Registration date : 2013-07-02

Back to top Go down

new coils and skid plates Empty Re: new coils and skid plates

Post  Old Hand Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:28 am

Joe what tape are you using ,NF changed the tape they used its a 3m product Gold SEARCH Australia has it 03 5468 1877 other dealer may have it, you can also use a good quality insulation tape like NITTO regards john Very Happy
Old Hand
Old Hand
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 431
Registration date : 2012-03-31

https://servimg.com

Back to top Go down

Post  joe82 Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:08 am

yeah mate, i noticed when i changed it the first time that the tape seemed to be thinner than the roll in my kit but if thats all have to worry about than happy days

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hand Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:09 pm

OK Joe the best way to do it is have all surfaces clean then place the coil on a flat surface like a table ,start the tape on one side and just turn the coil slowly guiding the tape as you turn the coil regards john Very Happy
Old Hand
Old Hand
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  joe82 Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:18 am

yeah mate thats how shes done! its not the applaction of the tape its how it doesnt stick to the coil as the surface area has been reduced on the new coils compared to the standard NF coils i have run extra tape on the 3 spokes about 2inches from the outside of the coil around under the skid to hold inplace before i run it like you said around, just think the side of these new coils could mabie have kept there side hight to hold tape better? anyone no why they have changed? only for visual apperence??? or does it have to do with proformance Shocked cheers joe,

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hand Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:24 am

Joe I am using a 15evo spoked 14 elliptical evo and a 12 evo and have replaced the tape on all and are having no troubles ,may be you need a new roll off tape ,some of the cheaper tapes do not have good adhesive properties regards john:D
Old Hand
Old Hand
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  rc62burke Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:26 am

Old Hand wrote:Joe I am using a 15evo spoked 14 elliptical evo and a 12 evo and have replaced the tape on all and are having no troubles ,may be you need a new roll off tape ,some of the cheaper tapes do not have good adhesive properties regards john:D  

Hey Old Hand,
Mate I totally agree with Joe is saying, no offense, it is definitely a design issue that has been overlooked in my opinion, Joe & I detect together I use a NF14" round spoked coil we both retaped the skid plates with the same roll of tape so no issues there, it is the distinct lack of vertical surface area that is the cause of this annoying occurrence, there is another design flaw with the shape of the coil which is the chamfered approach to the edges of the underside of the coil, I will get Joe or Wayne to post a pick here showing the extra wear that this is causing.
rc62burke
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hand Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:04 pm

[url=http:/new coils and skid plates P1040413/www.new coils and skid plates P1040412servimg.com/view/17668326/224]new coils and skid plates P1040411[/url]No offence just trying to help solve a problem this is how I have taped my skid plate on regards john Very Happy
Old Hand
Old Hand
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  joe82 Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:19 am

cheers for the pics mate thats how i have mine also adding a couple more strips from about 2' in around to the bottom will try her out soon wonder if scrubbing and rocky areas have somthing to do with it as i dont like to airswing to much Razz also the hevy duty skids i have just put on seem to mould better to the bottom of the coil as i found the standerds to be way to weak and whould sag in the centre of the coil making a gap of 1-2MM i think less movement underneath with a better fitting skid may reduce these issues Shocked cheers joe.

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hand Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:19 am

hope it all works out Joe REGARDS JOHN Very Happy
Old Hand
Old Hand
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Chatter Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:25 pm

Go Nitto, guaranteed no carbon, cheap and can be found at any Home Hardware. Usef it for years, tested, and zero effect. But if you want pay Double for it or similar at a detector shop.

Chatter
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2016-07-28

Back to top Go down