Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GP Extreme and Commander 16"x12" semi ellip DD

3 posters

Go down

GP Extreme and Commander 16"x12" semi ellip DD Empty GP Extreme and Commander 16"x12" semi ellip DD

Post  Bullet Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:22 pm

New to this site but have read a lot on here. I've got 2 Extremes unmodded with the following coils.
Two 11"round, one 14" x 9" coiltek goldstalker ellip mono, one 16" coiltek goldstalker round mono and one 16"x12" Minelab Commander semi ellip DD.
Things work fine until I hook up the 16x12 Commander, it goes nuts and sounds like it is hunting for submarines.
Anyone had this problem.

Cheers
Called myself bullet coz I'm good at finding spent lead.
Bullet
Bullet
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 347
Registration date : 2011-08-31

Back to top Go down

GP Extreme and Commander 16"x12" semi ellip DD Empty Re: GP Extreme and Commander 16"x12" semi ellip DD

Post  koeh Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:06 pm

Hey bullet,

I also have an extreme and a 15x12 dd and I have not had a problem with mine doing what you stated, could it be electrical interference that you are hearing.

cheers

koeh
koeh
koeh
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2011-01-31

Back to top Go down

GP Extreme and Commander 16"x12" semi ellip DD Empty re: Commander coil

Post  Bullet Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:12 pm

Hi koeh,

Where I was, there couldn't have been an ounce of electrical interference. No power lines or transmitters. Nearest town or station was 30kms away. I got a bit paranoid and starting thinking some sod was hiding and using a jammer, now thats being paranoid.

cheers
Bullet
Bullet
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

GP Extreme and Commander 16"x12" semi ellip DD Empty Re: GP Extreme and Commander 16"x12" semi ellip DD

Post  kon61 Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:47 pm

G'day Bullet.Welcome to the Forum.

Sounds like a wire has come unsolded or broken off at either the coil plug end or separated and come apart via the coil end.Tighten your coil plug lead into your machine then check coil lead at either end by moving it about.If noise does not change and remains constant,you most likely have a faulty coil.If noise breaks(comes and goes) upon moving the lead near the coil plug end which goes into your machine,check that your coil plug wires are still soldered and tacked in place.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Bullet Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:28 pm

G'day there kon61

I'd say ya right, it has to be the coil or plug coz the rest work fine. Think I'll check the plug myself before I send it off to minelab and let them sort it out.

cheers
Bullet
Bullet
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  koeh Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:11 pm

kon61 wrote:

G'day Bullet.Welcome to the Forum.

Sounds like a wire has come unsolded or broken off at either the coil plug end or separated and come apart via the coil end.Tighten your coil plug lead into your machine then check coil lead at either end by moving it about.If noise does not change and remains constant,you most likely have a faulty coil.If noise breaks(comes and goes) upon moving the lead near the coil plug end which goes into your machine,check that your coil plug wires are still soldered and tacked in place.

Cheers kon61.

I would have to say you are more than likely right about that kon61, I had a broken wire one day with the 11''dd on my 4000, and it did sound like I was going troppo,
I managed to walk around for a little bit holding the cable in the right place and was working fine but then cracked it and walked back to the car and put a different coil on.
koeh
koeh
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2011-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Bullet Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:30 pm

but did you find any submarines with the stuffed coil, I found a whole navy of the damn things 600kms from the coast. I can laugh now, wasn't funny at the time.
Bullet
Bullet
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down