Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

newby ques.......best scales and gloves

+7
LONE WOLF XLIX
Rtanweb
the speciman
llanbric
mickb
GoldstalkerGPX
goldmuss78
11 posters

Go down

newby ques.......best scales and gloves Empty newby ques.......best scales and gloves

Post  goldmuss78 Sat May 28, 2011 3:19 pm

Hey guys,
Im new to the forum and detecting, but have Pm'd a few member for specific ques and appreciate all the info you all put into
this forum. I have so many question still though, and i really like to be thorough before purchasing everything.
So i was wondering what scales you all use and a rough price for pretty accurate ones? im not expecting to find anything massive, so 50-100g scales will prob be ok (digital).

also seem there are loads of nasty critters to be dug up out there (and blisters to be earned), so was wondering what gloves you use? i
was thinking of getting some golf gloves, but maybe they are too thin.

Thanks in advance and look fwd to learning more!

goldmuss78
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 158
Registration date : 2011-05-07

Back to top Go down

newby ques.......best scales and gloves Empty Re: newby ques.......best scales and gloves

Post  Guest Sat May 28, 2011 3:27 pm

Last edited by fencejumper on Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : pointless)

Back to top Go down

newby ques.......best scales and gloves Empty Re: newby ques.......best scales and gloves

Post  Guest Sat May 28, 2011 3:45 pm

The only scales I use is anything that will weigh anything over 1kg Laughing Laughing Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 28, 2011 5:15 pm

Something like these is what I use, just make sure you get ones that you can change from grams to ozt (troy ounces) which is what gold is weighed in not just the normal ounces. 31.1grams = 1 troy ounce, where as 28grams = 1 ounce the other way

Some fo these scales will just have, grams, dwt, oz, ct,os make sure you get ones that also have ozt.

Like these http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/100g-x-0-01-DIGITAL-SCALES-POCKET-PRECISION-0-01G-/280467516894?pt=AU_Business_Industrial_Medical_Scientific_Equipment2&hash=item414d2aadde

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Sat May 28, 2011 8:14 pm

G'day, you sumed the answer for scales up in your question.

As for gloves, the correct answer has been given....leave them in the garden with the girls.....(the girls that prospect are tougher than that too geek )
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  mickb Sat May 28, 2011 8:26 pm

Wombat wrote:The only scales I use is anything that will weigh anything over 1kg Laughing Laughing Laughing

lol! so you only look for the fly spec stuff eh, maybee you need to tweek your detector to find some bigger bits lol!

regards mick
mickb
mickb
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2011-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post  llanbric Sat May 28, 2011 10:37 pm

Aussie Disposals sell white goatskin gloves for around $15, they are thin but tough, I've used them for years.

llanbric
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 414
Registration date : 2008-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 29, 2011 8:43 am

Mickb, I knew I was doing something wrong. Thanks for that mate I'll go out and try again. Laughing lol!
cheers Wombat

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:35 pm

llanbric wrote:Aussie Disposals sell white goatskin gloves for around $15, they are thin but tough, I've used them for years.
Thanks for that tip llanbric. I don't normally use gloves but want to keep a pair in the car just in case. I had someone digging for me one day in a mullock heap. The skin on his hands went dry and started peeling the next day, admittedly he tends to be sensitive to chemicals, it was probably only a reaction to a bit of cyanide or arsenic in the pile. No

Back to top Go down

Post  the speciman Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:01 pm

GDAY GOLDMUSS78
gloves gloves toughen up princess the boys have answered your question use a 2$ plastic spoon from kmart but if its a prestiege thing get some nice cow skin riggers gloves
good scratchin
cheers the speciman

the speciman
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2010-12-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:47 pm

the speciman wrote:...gloves toughen up princess....use a 2$ plastic spoon from kmart but if its a prestiege thing get some nice cow skin riggers gloves. good scratchin, cheers the speciman
Normally I'm with you speciman. But I think it pays to have some of those sissy leather gloves for people who need them, I've got no problem with that. We're already using a cheap plactic soup ladle so there's no further savings there. Thanks for your tips. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Rtanweb Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:42 am

GLOVES?!
Smile

Don't deny yourself the tectile pleasure of feeling gold before seeing gold.

But seriously, in 40 degree day gloves are a pain.

Rtanweb
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2009-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:34 am

Rigger gloves are the go !! and I dare ya to call any rigger I know a sissy!!!! Twisted Evil cheers cheers cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:02 pm

Bump... good question cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  LONE WOLF XLIX Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:12 pm

Gloves are handy when you need to dig into hard soil , pick up scorpions , spiders,and critters by mistake in a hand full of soil looking for that elusive bit ,but then if your tough, and no sense no feelin it dont really matter affraid pale Rolling Eyes But RIGGERS gloves are really nice ,soft, safe.But this is only a opinon each to their own.
LONE WOLF XLIX
LONE WOLF XLIX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 223
Registration date : 2012-07-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:18 pm

Yep I don't mind the old riggers gloves ! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  goldquest Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:30 pm

Guest wrote:Rigger gloves are the go !! and I dare ya to call any rigger I know a sissy!!!! Twisted Evil cheers cheers cheers

Hi Guest, where can I buy a pair of this Riggers Gloves?
Cheers
goldquest
goldquest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:43 pm

goldquest wrote:
Guest wrote:Rigger gloves are the go !! and I dare ya to call any rigger I know a sissy!!!! Twisted Evil cheers cheers cheers

Hi Guest, where can I buy a pair of this Riggers Gloves?
Cheers

The poster is gone ! No longer a member that's why he is a Guest! Shocked but I'm sure you will pick the up the gloves at places like Bunnings ect. cheers

Back to top Go down

newby ques.......best scales and gloves Empty Scales

Post  AnnieL Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:56 pm

I am in the market for a new set of scales - the last post above about scales was May 2011 and I'm just checking again.

I bought a set of digital 'Jewelry Scale' 100 gm MS - Series ($25 made in China - maybe why spelling is so) but there was a bit of a battery leak on one of contact points and part of digital readout disappears.  Tried cleaning to no avail.

Anyway, any updated advice on a good set of scales would be appreciated please.  Thanks in advance.

Annie
AnnieL
AnnieL
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1084
Registration date : 2012-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:15 pm

Goldmuss,

Golf gloves are fine - they improve your swing.

Cheers,

John

Back to top Go down

newby ques.......best scales and gloves Empty Gloves

Post  ttrash Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:42 pm

G'day Goldmuss

After trying quite a few brands of Gloves , I use Maxisafe Black knight

The Nitrile coating on most gloves like the Ansell ones , well the max safe ones have a double coating

At Caribbean Gardens they are about $3 a pair , last ages & don't smell .....!

Anthony
ttrash
ttrash
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2011-11-20

Back to top Go down

newby ques.......best scales and gloves Empty Gold weighing scales query

Post  AnnieL Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:02 am

Goldmuss's query was back in 2011.

I'm just asking about gold scales? Anyone? thanks.

Annie
AnnieL
AnnieL
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:28 am

Hi Annie,

I'm not sure where the best place for them are but I like the ones with .1 of a gram increments and as so,done mentioned some have Tory ounce setting. A scale with a calibration weight with it can be handy.

Something like this or from this site:

http://www.scalesdirect.com.au/store/weight-scales/pocket-scales/bs-pocket-scale-large-range-of-specifications.html

Back to top Go down

Post  AnnieL Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:42 pm

Many thanks for that feedback Waveform.  

(I see you are from south coast NSW - I am making my way home to Moruya to see my folks there.  Lovely part of Oz).

Regards
Annie
AnnieL
AnnieL
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:15 pm

Glad to help. It certainly is a lovely part of the World here. Nice people around here also which is a bonus.
Plenty of whales around at the moment.

Back to top Go down

newby ques.......best scales and gloves Empty Best place for all gold prospecting tools

Post  KayEhm Thu May 29, 2014 7:57 am

I've bought my equipment from a bunch of different stores, and also from owners selling their used stuff. After a decade of doing this (it started as a hobby.. now it's a passion!) I can say the best place to go for anything (literally, ANYTHING) you need in this business, is the Gold Rush Trading Post website (goldrushtradingpost.com). Great prices on everything, huge selection, and tons of info. Good luck!

KayEhm

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2014-05-29

Back to top Go down