Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Going Green who believes this

+8
Nightjar
Axtyr
adrian ss
geof_junk
hiluxer
csgrigdog
davsgold
flouro
12 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Going Green who believes this  - Page 4 Empty Re: Going Green who believes this

Post  planetcare Tue May 24, 2022 2:57 pm

hawkear wrote:For that matter liquid hydrocarbon fuel can be produced from air and water. The technology is already known.
Air contains CO2 water is H2O. Carbon and Hydrogen are the ingredients for liquid hydrocarbon fuel.
All that is needed is energy and large scale technology.
Any Technology will not get off the ground until people can afford to buy it.
Our future will be driven by market forces and indeed Hydrogen internal fuel cells, internal combustion with hydrogen or green hydrocarbons, or electric vehicles will each compete in the market against each other and other possibilities.

They thought they might solve the world’s energy problems. Then they realized they were wrong.
Frederick MacDonnell
Researchers are retracting a 2016 PNAS paper that described a way to create gasoline-like fuels directly from carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.
Senior author Frederick MacDonnell, a professor at the University of Texas at Arlington (UTA), told us he originally thought his team had made a preliminary breakthrough that might “solve the world’s energy problems.” Instead, he said:It was an elaborate trap we fell into.
https://retractionwatch.com/2018/01/05/thought-solve-worlds-energy-problems-realized-wrong/

planetcare
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 652
Registration date : 2019-09-27

Back to top Go down

Going Green who believes this  - Page 4 Empty Re: Going Green who believes this

Post  adrian ss Tue May 24, 2022 5:17 pm

The worlds energy problems will be solved by eliminating people....Eliminating all CO2 from the atmosphere will in the end, eliminate ALL animal life.. Rolling Eyes
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 3902
Age : 76
Registration date : 2015-07-03

Back to top Go down

Going Green who believes this  - Page 4 Empty Re: Going Green who believes this

Post  hawkear Tue May 24, 2022 5:41 pm

planetcare wrote:
hawkear wrote:For that matter liquid hydrocarbon fuel can be produced from air and water. The technology is already known.
Air contains CO2 water is H2O. Carbon and Hydrogen are the ingredients for liquid hydrocarbon fuel.
All that is needed is energy and large scale technology.
Any Technology will not get off the ground until people can afford to buy it.
Our future will be driven by market forces and indeed Hydrogen internal fuel cells, internal combustion with hydrogen or green hydrocarbons, or electric vehicles will each compete in the market against each other and other possibilities.

They thought they might solve the world’s energy problems. Then they realized they were wrong.
Frederick MacDonnell
Researchers are retracting a 2016 PNAS paper that described a way to create gasoline-like fuels directly from carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.
Senior author Frederick MacDonnell, a professor at the University of Texas at Arlington (UTA), told us he originally thought his team had made a preliminary breakthrough that might “solve the world’s energy problems.” Instead, he said:It was an elaborate trap we fell into.
https://retractionwatch.com/2018/01/05/thought-solve-worlds-energy-problems-realized-wrong/

This was just one study using a specific catalyst that the writers had to retract due to impurities in the experimental process they were describing.
A search reveals many research papers into this subject using different catalysts and methods.
One retraction does not void this field of research.
hawkear
hawkear
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 68
Age : 77
Registration date : 2015-03-11

Back to top Go down

Going Green who believes this  - Page 4 Empty Re: Going Green who believes this

Post  planetcare Tue May 24, 2022 5:46 pm

adrian ss wrote:Eliminating all CO2 from the atmosphere will in the end, eliminate ALL animal life.. Rolling Eyes
Eliminating all C02 from the atmosphere is not feasible, possible or desirable!The aim is  reduce C02 emissions to net zero by 2050  ie over time to slow and eventually stop the growth in atmospheric C02 levels which are currently rising at over 3 ppm / year.

planetcare
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 652
Registration date : 2019-09-27

Back to top Go down

Going Green who believes this  - Page 4 Empty Re: Going Green who believes this

Post  planetcare Tue May 24, 2022 5:50 pm

hawkear wrote:
planetcare wrote:
hawkear wrote:For that matter liquid hydrocarbon fuel can be produced from air and water. The technology is already known.
Air contains CO2 water is H2O. Carbon and Hydrogen are the ingredients for liquid hydrocarbon fuel.
All that is needed is energy and large scale technology.
Any Technology will not get off the ground until people can afford to buy it.
Our future will be driven by market forces and indeed Hydrogen internal fuel cells, internal combustion with hydrogen or green hydrocarbons, or electric vehicles will each compete in the market against each other and other possibilities.

They thought they might solve the world’s energy problems. Then they realized they were wrong.
Frederick MacDonnell
Researchers are retracting a 2016 PNAS paper that described a way to create gasoline-like fuels directly from carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.
Senior author Frederick MacDonnell, a professor at the University of Texas at Arlington (UTA), told us he originally thought his team had made a preliminary breakthrough that might “solve the world’s energy problems.” Instead, he said:It was an elaborate trap we fell into.
https://retractionwatch.com/2018/01/05/thought-solve-worlds-energy-problems-realized-wrong/

This was just one study using a specific catalyst that the writers had to retract due to impurities in the experimental process they were describing.
A search reveals many research papers into this subject using different catalysts and methods.
One retraction does not void this field of research.
Fair enough, but seriously why would you want to waste energy by producing more hydrocarbons which when burnt produce more CO2! We have to aim for a zero or low carbon economy!

planetcare
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 652
Registration date : 2019-09-27

Back to top Go down

Going Green who believes this  - Page 4 Empty Re: Going Green who believes this

Post  hawkear Tue May 24, 2022 6:13 pm

adrian ss wrote:The worlds energy problems will be solved by eliminating people....Eliminating all CO2 from the atmosphere will in the end, eliminate ALL animal life.. Rolling Eyes

All too true. Like China had too many rabbits, the world has too many people.
hawkear
hawkear
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 68
Age : 77
Registration date : 2015-03-11

Back to top Go down

Going Green who believes this  - Page 4 Empty Re: Going Green who believes this

Post  moredeep Tue May 24, 2022 8:11 pm

And hence to my very favourite comment in life, we/humans are just rabbits in a paddock.
You start of with two, you breed up and eventually you'll fill the paddock and run out of feed and water, eventually they/we will die back to a manageable number Crying or Very sad


Oh happy days
cheers moredeep Laughing Laughing
moredeep
moredeep
Management

Number of posts : 1634
Age : 62
Registration date : 2018-05-23

Back to top Go down

Going Green who believes this  - Page 4 Empty Re: Going Green who believes this

Post  hawkear Wed May 25, 2022 8:39 am

planetcare wrote:
hawkear wrote:
planetcare wrote:
hawkear wrote:For that matter liquid hydrocarbon fuel can be produced from air and water. The technology is already known.
Air contains CO2 water is H2O. Carbon and Hydrogen are the ingredients for liquid hydrocarbon fuel.
All that is needed is energy and large scale technology.
Any Technology will not get off the ground until people can afford to buy it.
Our future will be driven by market forces and indeed Hydrogen internal fuel cells, internal combustion with hydrogen or green hydrocarbons, or electric vehicles will each compete in the market against each other and other possibilities.

They thought they might solve the world’s energy problems. Then they realized they were wrong.
Frederick MacDonnell
Researchers are retracting a 2016 PNAS paper that described a way to create gasoline-like fuels directly from carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.
Senior author Frederick MacDonnell, a professor at the University of Texas at Arlington (UTA), told us he originally thought his team had made a preliminary breakthrough that might “solve the world’s energy problems.” Instead, he said:It was an elaborate trap we fell into.
https://retractionwatch.com/2018/01/05/thought-solve-worlds-energy-problems-realized-wrong/

This was just one study using a specific catalyst that the writers had to retract due to impurities in the experimental process they were describing.
A search reveals many research papers into this subject using different catalysts and methods.
One retraction does not void this field of research.
Fair enough, but seriously why would you want to waste energy by producing more hydrocarbons which when burnt produce more CO2! We have to aim for a zero or low carbon economy!

Not saying that the world should stay on hydrocarbon energy, but that well into the future there will be a need for portable motive fuel.
If liquid hydrocarbon fuel CAN be reasonably and economically produced by green energy from atmospheric CO2 then burning it would not add anymore carbon to the atmosphere than was taken out for its production ie carbon neutral.
The nature of green energy plants are that there is always potential for under supply and over supply. Finding economic uses of green energy in oversupply periods is one of the things that must be addressed.
I have mentioned in a previous post that in our trips to the goldfields we pass three wind farms and on significantly more than half of those occasions the farms have either been totally or mostly inactive even when the wind is blowing. We must find a way to keep those farms operating at their fullest capacity by using unwanted energy in projects such as green hydrogen or hydrocarbons.
We prospectors are a good example of the need for portable motive fuel in our quest to “Go where no one has been before” or so we think*.
* I was referring to going where no one has ever been or detected before!


Last edited by hawkear on Wed May 25, 2022 8:46 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Grammar and clarification)
hawkear
hawkear
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 68
Age : 77
Registration date : 2015-03-11

Back to top Go down

Going Green who believes this  - Page 4 Empty Re: Going Green who believes this

Post  planetcare Wed May 25, 2022 11:47 am

hawkear wrote:
planetcare wrote:
hawkear wrote:
planetcare wrote:
hawkear wrote:For that matter liquid hydrocarbon fuel can be produced from air and water. The technology is already known.
Air contains CO2 water is H2O. Carbon and Hydrogen are the ingredients for liquid hydrocarbon fuel.
All that is needed is energy and large scale technology.
Any Technology will not get off the ground until people can afford to buy it.
Our future will be driven by market forces and indeed Hydrogen internal fuel cells, internal combustion with hydrogen or green hydrocarbons, or electric vehicles will each compete in the market against each other and other possibilities.

They thought they might solve the world’s energy problems. Then they realized they were wrong.
Frederick MacDonnell
Researchers are retracting a 2016 PNAS paper that described a way to create gasoline-like fuels directly from carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.
Senior author Frederick MacDonnell, a professor at the University of Texas at Arlington (UTA), told us he originally thought his team had made a preliminary breakthrough that might “solve the world’s energy problems.” Instead, he said:It was an elaborate trap we fell into.
https://retractionwatch.com/2018/01/05/thought-solve-worlds-energy-problems-realized-wrong/

This was just one study using a specific catalyst that the writers had to retract due to impurities in the experimental process they were describing.
A search reveals many research papers into this subject using different catalysts and methods.
One retraction does not void this field of research.
Fair enough, but seriously why would you want to waste energy by producing more hydrocarbons which when burnt produce more CO2! We have to aim for a zero or low carbon economy!

Not saying that the world should stay on hydrocarbon energy, but that well into the future there will be a need for portable motive fuel.
If liquid hydrocarbon fuel CAN be reasonably and economically produced by green energy from atmospheric CO2 then burning it would not add anymore carbon to the atmosphere than was taken out for its production ie carbon neutral.
The nature of green energy plants are that there is always potential for under supply and over supply. Finding economic uses of green energy in oversupply periods is one of the things that must be addressed.
I have mentioned in a previous post that in our trips to the goldfields we pass three wind farms and on significantly more than half of those occasions the farms have either been totally or mostly inactive even when the wind is blowing. We must find a way to keep those farms operating at their fullest capacity by using unwanted energy in projects such as green hydrogen or hydrocarbons.
We prospectors are a good example of the need for portable motive fuel in our quest to “Go where no one has been before” or so we think*.
* I was referring to going where no one has ever been or detected before!

This is a better way to go in my opinion.
Toward Enhanced Fixation of CO2 in Aquatic Biomass: Focus on Microalgae
https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fenrg.2020.00213/full

planetcare
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 652
Registration date : 2019-09-27

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum