Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Garrett AT-MAX

2 posters

Go down

Garrett AT-MAX Empty Garrett AT-MAX

Post  ivanll Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:43 pm

New AT MAX was delivered today, definitely  more available adjustment/settings than previous AT models.

Testing so far suggest it would do well in the right hands.

Garrett AT-MAX Dscf0110

Also all accessory coils from my earlier AT models work, even the 3th party ones. Very Happy ........... Big savings. Exclamation

ivanll

Last edited by ivanll on Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : addition)

ivanll
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2009-05-23

Back to top Go down

Garrett AT-MAX Empty Re: Garrett AT-MAX

Post  adrian ss Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:42 pm

Hi Ivanll.
AT Max has a few added features like back lighting and built in Z Lynk and a bit more power but outside of that is it really any better than the Pro a where wet salt beaches are concerned. The Pro is nothing flash over wet salt sand and or in  the water (very chatty)
    Be interesting to hear what you think of the Max in the salt water......I am betting it will be a chatter box.

In the mean time I have been playing with an old MK II Sea Hunter and have already scored a nice sil chain and lg sil ring and enough sinkers and fish hooks to be a pain in the butt.......I have not used a Sea hunter before now and I find it to be a very nice no hassles Beach PI.
The Discrete Trash Elimination does a nice job of silencing some noisy river rocks that sound off in the normal elimination mode.
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2015-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post  ivanll Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:57 pm

adrian ss wrote:Hi Ivanll.
AT Max has a few added features like back lighting and built in Z Lynk and a bit more power but outside of that is it really any better than the Pro a where wet salt beaches are concerned. The Pro is nothing flash over wet salt sand and or in  the water (very chatty)
    Be interesting to hear what you think of the Max in the salt water......I am betting it will be a chatter box.

In the mean time I have been playing with an old MK II Sea Hunter and have already scored a nice sil chain and lg sil ring and enough  sinkers and fish hooks to be a pain in the butt.......I have not used a Sea hunter before now and I find it to be a very nice no hassles Beach PI.
The Discrete Trash Elimination does a nice job of silencing some noisy river rocks that sound  off in the normal elimination mode.

The performance of the detector is often entirely in the hands of the user.

Test in USA.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_27eEeabrk4&t=17s

Test in Australia.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVA3ioZmQZU

AT Pro can be used on wet beach and in sea water, I use different settings and higher gain than what they do in the video . . . .  as they say do what is suitable for you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpgnacYzkWU

ivanll

ivanll
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  adrian ss Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:37 am

Hi Ivanll

Nice detector but I think it would test my patience over the wet salt sand (Where I do most of my tecting). Having to set the Iron disc up a bit to cancel the salt signals and to enable smooth-ish operation is going to miss a lot of small gold rings and earrings.

Running in All metal seems to be requiring the sens to be reduced a lot, possibly due to the fact that the Ground balance can not be set low enough to kill the salt signal.

Any way, I am keen to hear what your over all opinion of the AT Max is after having used it for a while.

One of the things I like about my Gold Bug pro is that the GB can be driven below zero which is needed when going into the salt water and although the GB Pro needs to be re Ground balanced as the detector nears the water line the Ground balance has the range to do it well which results in stable salt water operation.....Or maybe I should say, less chatty than what I was hearing from the AT max. in thos vids.
I guess I have been spoilt by the smooth operation of my old Sov XS, Infinium, sand Shark and the Gold bug Pro. I have not had to contend with false signals on the beaches for a long time now.

As a side note. You may recall how I used to go  on about how sensitive my Finny is to small gold down to 0.15g; Well this old MK 2 Sea Hunter that I have acquired can detect that same lil ole 0.15gmer at about two inches in air with the 8 inch mono...I was not expecting that.
adrian ss
adrian ss
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2015-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post  ivanll Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:34 pm

Had a short morning session on one of our popular tropical beaches.
The area searched didn't give up any exciting finds.
Sunday morning, a lovely day and plenty of people about.
Conversed with a few, was told of rings lost further along the beach.
Will search for it, when next I get to that area.

V09

Garrett AT-MAX 1-tnq_10

ivanll
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

moredeep likes this post

Back to top Go down