Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Places around Perth?

5 posters

Go down

Places around Perth? Empty Places around Perth?

Post  theshack1962 Tue May 22, 2012 1:17 pm

I live in the Swan valley Perth,we have a Garrett 350,has anyone got any info please as to places near Perth to have a look for gold.???
Planning a trip to Kalgoorlie in next few months and will hire top detector to get a better chance. It would be nice to have a go somewhere not as far before hand.???
Thank you
Suzanne flower

theshack1962
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2012-05-22

Back to top Go down

Places around Perth? Empty Re: Places around Perth?

Post  bicter Tue May 22, 2012 3:36 pm

theshack1962 wrote:I live in the Swan valley Perth,we have a Garrett 350,has anyone got any info please as to places near Perth to have a look for gold.???
Planning a trip to Kalgoorlie in next few months and will hire top detector to get a better chance. It would be nice to have a go somewhere not as far before hand.???
Thank you
Suzanne flower

Hi Suzanne, not familiar with Perth but would suggest you give the beaches a try.
bicter
bicter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 392
Registration date : 2012-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post  theshack1962 Tue May 22, 2012 3:50 pm

Its a bit boring on the beaches! Have just been told that a couple of people found three nuggets up on the Darling scarp about six weeks ago behind kalamunda.??
I know there is a couple of old mine shafts in Kalamunda national park (I know we are not allowed to prospect there)!!
Any info would be really great!!

Thank you bom

theshack1962
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 24, 2012 7:12 am

theshack1962 wrote:Its a bit boring on the beaches! Have just been told that a couple of people found three nuggets up on the Darling scarp about six weeks ago behind kalamunda.??
I know there is a couple of old mine shafts in Kalamunda national park (I know we are not allowed to prospect there)!!
Any info would be really great!!

Thank you bom

Gday

I have heard of gold being found in a few areas of the darling scarp, but not that much about nuggets, mainly found in quartz, from around areas like Greenmount Hill, where there are supposed to be some quarries, where back when the first rail line was put through to the goldfields they used crushed quartz for ballast on the track, apparently some specimens were picked up by people from in that crushed quartz.

I have looked at some mines in the area of North Dandalup, these didnt appear too productive and I believe one particular mine was involved in a salting drama back in the early days, there were reports of some well worn flat pieces of gold found in the area of I think its called Whittakers Mill, which you can access along scarp road, its near the headwaters of the Dandalup creek, I have had a bit of a look through the area, once again theres not much too see, some parts are thickly covered in brush, it looks more like a spot where you can have a bit of a pan for gold but dont know about any detectable nuggets.

A lady told me that she had a nugget that was found in a freshly gravelled roadside stop along the South West highway near Jarrahdale somewhere, I would imagine the gravel would have come from a pit in the hills area nearby used by the local shire roadworks, a roadwork bloke told me that there are many areas of quartz and gravels throughout the hills that look interesting enough to detect for gold, the big problem with this is a lot of its privately owned and access is limited.

I would not be surprised if nuggets were found behind Kalamunda as I have heard of this before, but I have never been able to get tangible evidence or directions of exactly where, if you are in the area and have the time then the best thing to do is start looking about the place, usually its easy enough to identify where people have been detecting and scratching about.

See if you can follow up the rumour that you heard to see if you can get a ballpark area even, that could help you narrow down a place to start, perhaps even contact the local detecting shops and ask them if they have any ideas, they may have heard something also.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Places around Perth? Empty Fingers crossed

Post  theshack1962 Thu May 24, 2012 11:05 am

Thank you for all the info! Its really hard knowing were to start.Will go and have a look at some of those area's at the weekend, you never know,( fingers crossed)!
There was a report in a local newspaper that said that when a fire had gone through kalamnda hill area it had uncovered a large amount of old gold mines.
Its impossible to see anything up there now,very thick and hard to walk through!
Anyway once again thank you for your help Very Happy

theshack1962
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Goldbait Thu May 24, 2012 6:11 pm

i don't think you'll find any gold with the 350... not in australia anyway.
Goldbait
Goldbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 805
Registration date : 2010-08-31

Back to top Go down

Places around Perth? Empty Garrett 350

Post  theshack1962 Thu May 24, 2012 8:13 pm

Its not the best I know but its my first one.A friend of mine has a nice 1oz nugget Very Happy and buried it in the ground to see if it would pick it up. It was around 8 inches down with rocks and heavy dirt on top,it had no trouble finding it what so ever. Very Happy
It went mad and was so loud! Laughing For something that was $390 dollars I was happy with the result!
My Partner is buying a minelab 500 (I think that's right) there around $6000. Shocked

theshack1962
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Goldbait Thu May 24, 2012 8:25 pm

the 350 are more suited to jewellery and relics in the parks and on the beach.. i don't doubt your machine wouldn't pick the nugget up at 8 inches. but try it in the goldfields where you get heavily mineralised ground.

i'm not trying to put you off detecting for gold with the machine, but i don't like your chances in a goldfield with that machine.

the 5000 your partner is getting is another story all together. use that machine to find the gold, then go over it with yours to see if you can get a signal.

Goldbait
Goldbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  theshack1962 Thu May 24, 2012 9:06 pm

Just doing a bit around perth at the moment with the 350,can't wait to take the 5000 out to the godfields. Have you had much luck ?? Smile have you ever been to WA?

theshack1962
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Goldbait Thu May 24, 2012 9:37 pm

yeah. i was in WA a week ago for the preceeding 2 weeks. found 22g from 41 pieces using the gpx5000 and a 14x9 nugget finder coil
Goldbait
Goldbait
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  theshack1962 Fri May 25, 2012 10:03 am

very nice,you have to be happy with that! Very Happy

theshack1962
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Places around Perth? Empty Newbie Perth

Post  ajs28 Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:37 pm

Hi,

I am also new to the game, been trying in the past, with very little luck, am looking for a prospecting party for weekends, not going to far from Perth, anyone is interested, please PM me.

Cheers,
AS

ajs28
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post  wally1 Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:40 pm

ajs28 wrote:Hi,

I am also new to the game, been trying in the past, with very little luck, am looking for a prospecting party for weekends, not going to far from Perth, anyone is interested, please PM me.

Cheers,
AS

I May be interested in some trips out if you are still interested

Thanks in advance

wally1

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2012-10-03

Back to top Go down