Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

19" GPZ 7000 Coil info.

+20
kevwr
Olddognewtricks
Martin R
AUoptimist
GPZhunter
ozgold 041
GypsyGoldAu
Harb
alchemist
Barney Rubble
slimpickens
Reg Wilson
kon61
Inhere
kiwijw
corydale
AraratGold
rc62burke
delete52
kevlorraine2
24 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

19" GPZ  7000 Coil info. Empty 19" GPZ 7000 Coil info.

Post  slimpickens Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:41 pm

For all those having difficulty fitting the big whopper coil.... here are some simple instructions.

https://youtu.be/X6JJUqcrICg

Last edited by slimpickens on Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Back to top Go down

19" GPZ  7000 Coil info. Empty Re: 19" GPZ 7000 Coil info.

Post  Guest Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:46 pm

Thanks Harry, which was the easy bit to understand in the simple instructions. Laughing lol! Q14

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:56 pm

Couldn't find it in English Dave. Very Happy
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:34 pm

Question????
Does a skid plate come with the 19inch coil..
If so..
Whats it look like? please

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:26 am

Yes it does Jen & it looks exactly like the one on Harb's post under "All about Coils" with the black thin rubber all round the bottom half of skid plate cover,protecting the base & rubber at top front & rear of coil,protecting the nose and rear section.   The skid plate is one piece not 2,just looks that way cause of the centre line,which has 2 small clips on either side,clipping down onto the middle section of coil.

Cheers Kon.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:01 am

Thanks Kon
I was asking for Harb.. he has worked it out... so alls  good.. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  kevlorraine2 Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:00 am

five hours useing the 19inch coil, i had a look under the skid plate and was surprised to see so much rubbish had accumulated there.

i learn early in the day to keep the coil OFF the ground as it is very prone to false signals when hitting rocks or sticks, so was surprised to see so much crap at the end of the session.

weight wise, yes it is heavy, as you cant skid it on the ground for a rest, or suffer many false signals. i quickly learned to shorten the extension middle shaft and run the coil closer to my feet. this proved much better to handle the weight.

no monster nuggets (yet), but certainly got my exercise for the day ... kev Neutral

kevlorraine2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 504
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:55 am

Thanks Kev, l was wondering how much dirt/dust would get between the coil and skid plate.

Cheers.

Mike.

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:51 pm

Hi all, tried the 19" coil yesterday, no gold but it works great. No false signals with mine,  very quiet coil.  Even lifted my threshold to 27 where I'm usually on 10-12. First time ever I took smoothing off low and it worked just as quiet. Even picked up a piece of bird shot in high yield. Mainly used general and extra deep, smooth as.. This coil ain't coming off the Zed ever. It pinpoints great as well. Weight isn't a problem if your using a hip stick.

2  problems:

1) It definitely needs a solid skid plate, it was an absolute pain trying to run it in the long grass, and twigs just get in the gaps and pull you up. I've ordered a piece of Lexan sheet to cure this problem ( while Minelab get their solid skid plate ready for the market)

2) The coil shaft isn't as tight on the 19" as it is on the 14" and the coil tends to swivel around a bit, (side to side). (Minelab techo's will soon come on the forum and explain how we can fix this.) Cheers, Harry.

Ps. For those who have both, the Zed with the 19" coil, and the SDC 2300, there is now an added bonus. Before if I had done an area with the 14" Zed coil it didn't leave me with much confidence to come back with the SDC, because it basically can pick up almost the same sized gold, but now the 19" Zed coil will skim over most of the small SDC size gold and I'll be able to go back to the area with the SDC knowing the 19" didn't get it all. (Hope that made sense.)
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  kevlorraine2 Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:32 pm

i was surprised to see how sensitive the two front tips of the 19 coil was.  i identified a faint signal, (in high yield, normal), moved it with the first dig, and still easily picked it up in the throwout pile.  

it turned out to be a .07gram piece, which shocked me again, as i was not expecting to identify and locate so easily such a small piece ... kev Very Happy

PS. my .2gram tester gold can be picked up with the 19 inch coil with about the same air test that the 14 inch does. that gave me a lot of confidence to not miss the smaller pieces i walk over

kevlorraine2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 504
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Reg Wilson Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:41 pm

It's a dog.
Reg Wilson
Reg Wilson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 629
Registration date : 2012-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post  AraratGold Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:24 pm

Reg Wilson wrote:It's a dog.

Please explain Reg ???

I used mine for the first time this arvo and it ran beautifully, sensitivity 18, no smoothing, normal ground mode.
Easily picked up my 0.25 gram test nugget as well.

Rick
AraratGold
AraratGold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 426
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Reg Wilson Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:28 pm

Rick, my prospecting buddy has his for sale as well. He too will take a loss.
Reg Wilson
Reg Wilson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  alchemist Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:12 pm

If that is the case, there's going to be a lot of people disposing of their Zeds and relying solely on their Xs, spiral coils, and 2300s.

I hope it's you that is being hasty or it's another hit to the resale Zed value coming up.
alchemist
alchemist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2009-01-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Reg Wilson Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:26 pm

I might be a lot of things, but I don't believe hasty is one of them. 3 days of  testing, when the firrst day was probably enough. When I first got the Z I had it half paid for in 3 days , and had it more than paid off in 2 weeks. This is not the same kettle of fish,  but, hey, what would I know?.
Reg Wilson
Reg Wilson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  alchemist Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:41 pm

Most are reporting it runs real smooth, in other words if you can't take it to the ragged edge, the coil is underpowered.

If it runs quiet in General, the timing with maximum power output, then maybe Minelab need to provide a firmware update with a gruntier mode.

alchemist
alchemist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:35 pm

Hang on here fellas. Are you guys telling me,that it aint showing,the so called expected average of 30% greater depth advantage,on gold nuggets above the 2+ gram mark,over that of the 14x13 inch coil,as promised? Shocked  Well is it or isn't it?  For this is the main reason people are,or have invested their hard earned bucks for. Depth,Depth & even more depth? Not just quieter,smoother running,more sensitive,good pinpointing capabilities,better ground coverage etc,etc.
All the above characteristics will mean nothing,If the "average" promised depth aint there. Shocked  After all,we are talking about a large,heavy,19x18 inch coil,suited to the newly designed GPZ technology Shocked
I'm hoping to put mine to the test soon,over different sized nuggets,buried at different depths,in average to high mineralized ground conditions,before I conclude anything.Thanks for all the feedback though.

Cheers Kon. Q11
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

19" GPZ  7000 Coil info. Empty 19''

Post  Reg Wilson Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:48 pm

Kon ,remember the Z claims of 40% over GPX, and now the 30% claims over 14'' Z ? So correect me if I'm wrong, but that would be be a cumulative increase or 70% would it not? But hey let's go back to to the first of the PI's, the 2000, and look at the increase in depth claims that have taken place with each model  since. Going on these claims, we should need a backhoe to dig some signals. Unfortunately ML have become the masters of bullshit. Work it out for yourself. They still make good detectors, but credability, ha, don't make me laugh. They used to be a good  company once. Past tense. Proudly made in Malaysia.
Reg Wilson
Reg Wilson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:56 pm

From report by JP on Minelab site.
"Having realistic expectations

Using the GPZ 19 coil does not automatically mean your gold take will increase unless you're prepared to first invest some time and thought in how you go about approaching its use.
You will find there is a reduction in sensitivity to small targets which means the sub 2 gram pieces are going to have to be either shallow to pick them up or you’re going to have to be prepared to go without while you wait for a subtle deep target."

The 19" coil should not be picking up the flysh*t. Is that what your saying Reg?
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Reg Wilson Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:13 pm

Slimpickens, no, that's not what I'm saying, but the primary objective was to pick up what Porter calls 'big nuggets'. This is what we are led to believe will jump out, like the bits he holds, grinning all over his face.  'Come in spinner'.
Reg Wilson
Reg Wilson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:27 pm

I think the best thing to do is for all of us to do some serious depth testing to satisfy in our own minds whether this coil will pull the big nuggets out of some serious depth. Even this is hard to do, because you would have to do the depth testing on a gully wall which does not have the same layered mineral characteristics of highly mineralised virgin ground. (But better than nuthin.)
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:53 pm

I would have thought anyone buying this coil would be doing it for the so-called added depth over anything else released in the past. If that's the case people would be revisiting known spots that have produced gold before. I wouldn't have thought it would be your everyday coil. If you have a test bed and place different size nuggets at different depths and try different settings with both the zeds coils then it will soon tell you if the coil does what its claimed to do. I think Reg might have done all that somehow before claiming its a dog.

Back to top Go down

Post  alchemist Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:07 am

Select a bunch of atypical nuggets and specks found with a GPZ and see how deep a GPX scores them... here's your 40%

The 30% extra on this coil was obviously manufactured using the very same GPZ Au.

Do exactly the same but using gold found with a GPX and you'll quite possibly find the GPZ struggling and failing miserably on the bigger specks.

The time to market, the GPZ sales brochures showing gold found with a coil that would not be avilable for a further 21 months, and misleading consumers into thinking it was snagged with the 14", the sensitivity of persons questioned about related factors leaves me wondering.

Perhaps Reg your test selection are too alluvial you know how the Z loves the colluvial/eluvial varieties.

Kev.

alchemist
alchemist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwijw Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:39 am

Is that a nice friendly loveable dog.....mans best friend...... or a scabby mongrel heathen son of a bitch that should be dragged out bush & shot? Oh boy Rolling Eyes .....here we go again with the release of a new product & peoples first impressions. I seem to remember the zed didnt actually get rave reviews from many when it first came out....but as time & experience with it wore on & people hung in there, well .......

JW   V08
kiwijw
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1886
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post  alchemist Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:12 am

Reg, did you circle your test pit for 10 to 15 minutes in auto GB to allow enough time for the thermionic valve filaments and

V49 the barbie to warm before switching to manual GB and commencing your testing? (and a necessary requirement for each mode tested )

Please don't think I'm trying to teach egg sucking, I'm aware of your innings, it's just I have seen how damn fussy this machine is with the GB being off just a smidgin, you either hear the target or not, no in between. Minelab test the machines more in lanes and not pits, one reason being Z hates loitering in one spot for too long.   

I notice in JP's recommended settings he still has his user button set to GB, even after the update so perhaps running in fixed after warm up, or first hint of a signal is advantageous.

JW a lot of people were hoping this coil would bridge the gap and gain back some of the advantage the Z has lost to the X coupled with large Next-Gen coils especially on stuff bigger than rice grains.
alchemist
alchemist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  alchemist Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:33 am

Reg I just read your post on the other forum (tried to join over the years but my requests are continually ignored) so I'll reply here.

I noticed a couple of days after the release they updated the blurb under one of the charts which may void your approach for a refund from the angle you propose.
Here's the blurb

* When compared to the average performance of the GPZ 7000 detector with GPZ 14 coil in typical environments. Actual performance depends upon prevailing conditions.
The information displayed in this diagram is a coil-for-coil comparison, is indicative only, and is based on the results of laboratory measurements and field testing undertaken by, and for, Minelab, using appropriate and identical detector settings. Please be aware that the depicted results give a relative and realistic comparison of the two GPZ coils for typical goldfields conditions for detecting the weight ranges of gold shown, but do not represent performance under all conditions, and should not be regarded as conclusive. Minelab does not warrant or represent that the performance levels depicted will always be achieved, as performance of the two coils will vary depending upon prevailing conditions. Relevant factors in detector plus coil performance include, but are not limited to, detector settings, ground type, mineralisation levels and type, electromagnetic interference, gold nugget size, shape and composition, and operator skill level.  

Kev.
alchemist
alchemist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

19" GPZ  7000 Coil info. Empty 19

Post  Reg Wilson Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:12 am

Älchemist, I have always enjoyed an element of luck in my life, and so it was that when I first purchased my 7000 that it behaved beautifully, and unlike many other unlucky purchasers, did not require a little yellow ring, reprogramming, and I didn't need to walk 3 times in a clockwise direction around the stupa while reciting "bom Shiva, hari Krishna".
Not so lucky were the many good detector operators, with years of experience that were made to feel like fools by a company that doggedly refused to accept that a percentage of their machines were faulty, and refused to take any responsibility for their blundered release. ML's response was a disgrace and beggars belief. In any other industry a full recall would have been required, and how they got away with not having to do so is astounding.
Those that did not just hang up their machines, or sell them struggled on, with the 'ring' or reprogramming, with mixed success. Some returned their detectors to ML, only to be told there was nothing wrong with them. ML went into total denial, leaving dealers in the invidious position of either believing their customers, or towing the ML line. The problem with many machines has not been resolved, many just switch themselves off for no apparent reason. ML response; denial. Dealer response; ''oh, yeah, some do that''. Disgraceful.
So, purely through luck I have a reliable machine to attach the new coil to, to begin with. we can rule out any problems due to the detector. The coil is the problem.....
Reg Wilson
Reg Wilson
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  GypsyGoldAu Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:23 am

alchemist....reads like an each way bet eh?

Reg..."I have always enjoyed an element of luck in my life"...so now you wanna complain when you get what the rest of us have to live with??..

Perhaps it is just 'your' coil and everyone else has a good one.....

Never know...

And yeah, ML's behaviour since Codan took ownership has a lot to answer to in their response to their customers (yet we don't count, we are mere hobbyists, unlike their primary business clientele). I see the detector base for Codan is just the creme and as such can be treated however they like.

GGA

Last edited by GypsyGoldAu on Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:30 am; edited 2 times in total
GypsyGoldAu
GypsyGoldAu
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2015-07-14

Back to top Go down

Post  alchemist Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:27 am

Yep, the usual scenario when dedicated cottage industries are bought out and administration bottom line financial policies dictate project management, especially so when senior management stems from a different industry sector.

Reg the update changed the way the auto tracking accumulates adaptive ground data and was not just about noisy machines, it could have a large bearing on your results since a deep target presents a greater challenge to signal processing determining what's ground and what's a metallic target.

Kev.
alchemist
alchemist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  alchemist Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:30 am

GGA I have bought this coil but will not get an opportunity to test it out for a couple of weeks, Reg's comments robbed me of sleep last night what am I to do?
alchemist
alchemist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next