Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

nuggets at lambing flat/Young.

2 posters

Go down

nuggets at lambing flat/Young. Empty nuggets at lambing flat/Young.

Post  chopppacalamari Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:45 pm

Hi All,

I've been researching the areas around Young NSW and I can't find any info that suggests it would be good to look at with a detector. The only mention of gold with depths that I could find ranged from 3 metres talking about alluvial in the creek up to nuggets at 65 metres. Has anyone heard of anyone getting any gold with a detector there?

Any help appreciated ..

Dicko..
chopppacalamari
chopppacalamari
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2008-12-13

Back to top Go down

nuggets at lambing flat/Young. Empty Re: nuggets at lambing flat/Young.

Post  nero_design Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:24 am

I know of people who have gone out there with detectors ... but, to my knowledge, nobody has returned with any nuggets to show for their efforts. I always thought it was deep leads with finer alluvials. At least one of the surrounding districts is said to have produced nuggets. I think it was to the East of Young. There might be another area worth visiting to the North of Lambing Flats.

Contrary to reports at the time, the majority of people harmed during the Lambing Flat riots were idiots falling down ditches and getting bowled over by horses in the dark. Recent reports indicate that the violence was quelled before any serious beatings took place there. I think that what may have provoked the riots at the time was that the gold there was deeper and harder to obtain, which led to frustration on the part of the Miners. Most of whom were used to easily won Gold on the surface. When the Chinese numbers began to grow (as they always did following a Gold Discovery), the locals took out their frustration on the hapless Chinese and riots ensued. Apart from some tent burning and roving mobs, reports of murders and beatings were recently shown to have been exaggerated. The police supposedly quelled the rioters before any serious harm was done.

Again, the riots were triggered by disgruntled miners and diggers in the region who were hard pressed to obtain reasonable amounts of Gold at the time. It also annoyed Diggers that the Chinese managed to survive off the smaller volumes of Gold left behind by lazy European Diggers PLUS they "worked on the Sabbath". This alone was considered a serious offense for Europeans to commit but for Europeans to be forced not to work on the Sabbath and for them to see the Chinese toiling away at Gold which they felt entitled to themselves probably fueled the flames. This supposition might suggest a sparse region of scattered Gold in finer concentrates. The North West of Young (just on the edge of the township itself) seems to be a hot spot worth checking as the metallurgicals show strong ore concentrations there. Personally, I think that it is worth looking at. Cootamundra is just South of Young and there are pockets of land there which give up nuggets. I've been out there but not to detect. Lot of people out there report UFO sightings and I can honestly state that we witnessed such a sighting ourselves one evening (December 17, 2006?). Was in the company of a Pilot and a Police officer too. Nobody could explain it but the reports come thick down there.

The town directly to the North of Young is Grenfell, and it has a denser Gold deposit with a broader concentration of nuggety country around it. If you were driving there, your level of success would (in theory) be better at Grenfell than Young. I hope to visit Young later this year.
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

nuggets at lambing flat/Young. Empty young/coota/grenfell

Post  chopppacalamari Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:31 pm

Thanks,

I did hear about coota gold but not grenfell. Growing up just out of young we often had sightings of moving lights and they were always to our south we thought they must have been about 5 or so clicks south of Wombat. Had a close up min min sighting out at Wannaring one night on a shooting trip that really spooked us all.

Anyways thanks for the info I might start researching the grenfell area. Its on the way when I head back to young to see the family.
have a good xmas..

Dicko..
chopppacalamari
chopppacalamari
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2008-12-13

Back to top Go down