Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will your metal detector still work after 2012?

+22
nuggertman
stevo 444
MS
chopppacalamari
Narrawa
kevlorraine2
harryopal
Vb4meta
goldtimer
deutran
HueyDuck
kon61
mulgadansa
tomahawk1
Alf
scruffy_hair86
TheH0ward
detector
Jonathan Porter
Tributer
gollstar
nero_design
26 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Will your metal detector still work after 2012? - Page 4 Empty Re: Will your metal detector still work after 2012?

Post  chopppacalamari Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:15 am

anyone wanna buy my brand new upside down toilet?
chopppacalamari
chopppacalamari
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2008-12-13

Back to top Go down

Will your metal detector still work after 2012? - Page 4 Empty Re: Will your metal detector still work after 2012?

Post  Guest Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:00 am

Panther,
I just noticed your post about the field kitchens?..........Yeah I know I am a bit slow at times but I do catch up.
I hope they can float Very Happy

Adrian SS

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:06 am

Hey! I notice that another Qan jet had engine trouble last night affraid
The biggest problem Quantas has is that they repair their planes using people who fix everything with a staple gun. Suspect.......Made in China Staple guns affraid ....Jeez! Double Trouble Suspect ....... Yeah, I know, I shoulda started a new topic. Embarassed

I spent 20 years working on and fixin trainers, fighter jets, bombers and pax planes so I know the stuff that can go wrong and the right way to fix problems but the civies are different, they work to make a profit so they cut corners and costs to the minimum and Quan have made the costliest mistake in their aviation history with their current maintenance program which is now just begining to bite them on the bum. Hope they wake up before the inevitable big bite occurs because if a 380 or any Quan plane for that matter, goes down the losses will too big for Quan to carry. People are already becoming cautious about the airline they fly on Sad

Last edited by Adrian SS on Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:50 pm; edited 3 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:46 pm

Panther wrote:Hope you have a sense of humour Osama, but why would you be looking at new stuff when you are 68? Laughing

Panther
We are only as young as we feel, & this gold detecting keeps me keeps me young - better than sex !
Well, not really, but finding gold comes a close 2nd.
cheers, Osama.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:20 pm

I have been looking real carefully at that pic of the sun taken in 2008 and although it was called a solar flare and assuming the pic is genuine then I doubt that it was a solar flare.

It looks much more like something very big hit the far side of the sun or exploded somewhere nearby hidden by the sun at the time . The visual remnant formations are more condusive to an exploding nearby star or or what would be caused by an very large object colliding into the sun. if it was an asteroide or comet then we were very lucky. if it was a nova (unlikely)then we are likely to feel the effects of it for a while, We would be able to re-locate a nova after the earth moved around further in its orbit but nothing has been discovered yet as having exploded in our region. If it was an eruption from the sun then it would indicate some instability in our suntanner that could be a problem. I tend to think that something hit the sun.

Adrian SS

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:30 pm

harryopal wrote:While we are in a semi paranoid mode perhaps Osama ought bear in mind that electronic information traffic is monitored looking by various `intelligence' agencies for key words such as `bomb', `destroy all infidels' and, dare I say it? `Osama'.
With a $25 million reward offered by the US State Department who knows how many bounty hunters are zoning in this very minute on Osama Bin Looking.
Solution, Osama you are advised to find a very deep gold mine and keep digging.

Yours tropically, Harry

You find me the gold mine Harry, & i'll be right there mate.
By the way Harry, is the open cut at Ravenswood still operating ?

Back to top Go down

Post  harryopal Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:23 pm

Yes Osama, it was when I went there a couple of months ago. A bloody big hole to dig to find gold.

harryopal
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 164
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:11 pm

harryopal wrote:Yes Osama, it was when I went there a couple of months ago. A bloody big hole to dig to find gold.

I better bring a bloody big shovel then Laughing

Back to top Go down

Will your metal detector still work after 2012? - Page 4 Empty Sunspot Cycles

Post  Billsymo Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:25 pm

Sunspot cycles occur every 21 years I think, the reason we have had such a long drought, is because the sun was blank of sunspots for 14 years, we need activity on the sun to create activity on earth. Sunspot cycle 24 officially started in January this year it will take about another ten years to complete the cycle and then we head into another period of inactivity and no sunspots for approximately 11 years and probably drought.
I would worry more about being hit by a large Asteroid than Radiation from the sun. It does not take a huge Xtype Solar flare to interfere with communications equipment. A much lesser C, D or M class flare can knock out communications, under certain circumstances. I would not like to be on a Space station that is outside the Van Ellen Belt if we did have an X Type flare, they would not syrvive.
Billsymo
Billsymo
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2010-11-12

Back to top Go down

Will your metal detector still work after 2012? - Page 4 Empty Aurora Australis

Post  Billsymo Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:49 pm

Keep your Eyes on the Southern Skies for the next few days, a solar storm which occurred on the 13th could cuse Auroras over the South Pole and Southern Hemisphere
Billsymo
Billsymo
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2010-11-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:13 pm

I think it highly unlikely that anybody north of Tassie would see it unless it was extraordinary.

Panther

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:41 am

On furver close inves....parooz......sientifec.....are bugger ut! Arfta lookin at vat pic ov va sun wot I woz torkin abart bak a bit, I as cum to va conclooshon vat it iz jus a pis ov crap Sola flare art werk.

Adrian SS

PS,
You can rest your minds , the earth is not going to be wiped out by a solar flare for a very long time to come , like millions of years. Even realy huge flares will not get through to the earth to the degree that life will be threatened. The earth is wearing protection Very Happy Sure satelites, electricity grids and radio type communications can be effected but Big Deal! life will go on.

Adrian

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:30 am

I never thought any different....... Very Happy

Panther

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:50 am

Panther wrote:I never thought any different....... Very Happy

Panther

Yer but ver mita bin a few sods wot fort va werwld woz gunna end in a cupla yers, so bein va geni... er um, smart arse wot i iz I woz puttin ver minds at rest. bounce

Back to top Go down

Will your metal detector still work after 2012? - Page 4 Empty The End of the World is Nigh

Post  forester01 Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:25 pm

G'day Nero,
jeez mate, I hope you're wrong - at least in your prediction a killer solar storm is shortly to happen. I agree that sometime in the future (hopefully in the far distant future) we'll be hit by something big and very final from outer space, but in the meantime I'll put my faith in the knowledge that scientists have been getting it wrong for hundreds of years.

In the meantime, just in case you're right, I'll wander down to our bbq slot and have another glass of rough red. No, bugger it! I'll finish the bottle.

Keep well,

Forester
forester01
forester01
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2008-11-13

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:38 pm

G'day Gent's

I wouldn't worry too much about the coming of solar storms as i would worry about what the effects of world recession is having on people around the world at the moment and what repercussions it might lead into the near future.The world is currently on edge.Its bad enough having the devastating effects of El Nino
on our backs,but i hope we don't see any more escalation between North and South Korea,which will definitely spread to more world wide pain and suffering for man kind.Whether we like it or not,natural or man made disasters are destined to happen,it's up to man to to find a way to survive through them.

Cheers kon61.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:22 am

Trouble with N Korea is that sure they have a ginormous army, but they do not have the ability to deploy and suport them outside of korea withought the support of another Commo country. It is a pidlin small country and a couple of well aimed nukes would see them done for. What we haven't heard is exactly what S korea did to get them all riled up just the other day. It had to be a bit more than playing war games near the boarder . Suspect dontcha think??

Back to top Go down

Post  nero_design Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:07 am

Adrian SS wrote:Trouble with N Korea is that sure they have a ginormous army, but they do not have the ability to deploy and suport them outside of korea withought the support of another Commo country. It is a pidlin small country and a couple of well aimed nukes would see them done for. What we haven't heard is exactly what S korea did to get them all riled up just the other day. It had to be a bit more than playing war games near the boarder . Suspect dontcha think??

South Korea did nothing to rile them up other than to suggest that they were considering suspending AID to North Korea. They also do not agree with the location of the border extending to the island that was shelled and only adhere to the border on the mainland. The same area of dispute near the island is the site of where the ship was recently torpedoed. The reason for the attack is to consolidate power around Kim Jong-il's son... who is preparing to succeed his father. North Korea is like China's embarrassing backwards cousin. China has a lot of influence over North Korea but don't worry, the last thing China wants is any reason for millions of starving North Koreans to come pouring over the border into China. They simply can't afford to feed and support them all right now. China recently suggested to North Korea that it should "tread quietly and with humility on the world stage". Of course Kim Jong-il is batch*t crazy and acts like a small child throwing a tantrum. Yes, they have a large army... but they're not paid and are starving to death. Reports show that many civilians are boiling grass to eat and stories are emerging that tell of locals actually betting on body louses climbing from the bodies that lie in open ditches by the side of the road whilst looking for fresh hosts to feed on. It's a horrible example of a dictatorship done awry.

Will your metal detector still work after 2012? - Page 4 0709091647_M_070909_kim121

To give you an example of how insane NK is, they recently threatened "Massive full scale merciless attack" on South Korea IF the United Nations dared report its findings about the torpedoing of the South Korean ship by the North recently. Never mind the actual findings of the report, NK was threatening war just for TALKING about the report. I think NK needs a massive smack-down and for ONCE i wish China would simply invade them and be done with it. I know that China knows the US can't afford another war in the region and China owns much of the debt that the US Congress approved in all those trillions of dollars for the Gulf Wars. But they don't want a larger US military presence in the region... and the USA just moved several Aircraft Cariers into the region to intimidate NK, something that might just force China into acting for its own interests. I think the USS George Washington was part of the fleet that was just moved there.

Recent shelling by NK has affected the Aussie Dollar though, causing it to plummet overnight from it's previous Parity. The United Nations was previously warning us that the next war will be fought over water. Not sure if that one is still on the table.

Will your metal detector still work after 2012? - Page 4 Political-pictures-kim-jong-il-wife-surplus
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2081
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:29 am

Our dollar has not decreased; our bread and butter remains the same price in this country. The Yank dollar has increased in value which is a good thing for the yanks.During times of a high value yank dollar Australians would do well to buy Australian.

The NK army does not look to be starving to me. They look kinda fit and are well armed.
Maybe the NK leaders and their offspring should be put through a re education program to bring their thinking into line with the rest of the world? (except for the muslims, they don't think like any human I know Twisted Evil).

Back to top Go down

Post  Scrubhen Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:33 pm

Bit more about North Korea and what the Yanks are doing in that area

The US has no interest in North Korea for the sake of that country alone. The Korean war in the 1950s was all about a push against Russia (and later China) with those two countries standing behind NK. Even today, the US couldn't really care less about NK or its people. It's a strategic military position in terms of proximity to both Russia and China. All the military exercises in the region aren't for the benefit of NK. Rather, they are "in your face" demonstrations to China. It is no co-incidence that China is being ringed by US bases and countries coerced to a pro-US military stance. (India is the latest). Myanmar (previously known as Burma) is VERY high on the US hit list in Asia and about the last country in Asia (besides China and NK) that the US is concerned about. Why? Because Myanmar provides China access to its ports. This is about the only port that Chinese naval ships have access to outside of the US ring of influence. The US couldn't care less that Myanmar is not democratic or about that nations human rights. Its all about geopolitical influnece.

Getting back to the current NK situation. One should ask, "what provoked NK into shelling?". The writer with yellow background does not mention that the US (and its puppet south korean government) have been having war games in that exact part of the korean peninsular for the past week which has included Artillery practices!!!! Maybe the games got too realistic and NK responded? Such is the risk when one displays its military activities in the face of the adversary with their being a fine line between game and non-game.

Food for thought............

The problem we have is that both Rudd and Gillard have jumped into the ring to damn North Korea when (1) its none of our business and (2) we don't yet have all the facts
Ron
Scrubhen
Scrubhen
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2008-10-22

Back to top Go down

Will your metal detector still work after 2012? - Page 4 Empty North Korea - Yet Another War With a Feal State

Post  forester01 Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:40 pm

G'day fellas,

as one who was born during WW2 and somehow served 34 years in both the British and Australian armies without major harm, it still seems to me most strange that yet another bloody world war has not erupted in the intervening years - caused, as usual, by feral states. And I believe with a stretch of imagination you'd just have to describe Hitler's Third Reich as a severely feral national organisation. The North Koreans' standard of life is abysmal (apart from the political animals who must be cossetted) and their government is well aware of this. It's long been a fact that when any authoritarian government which treads on its citizens' rights finds itself under internal pressure that they then invent an external threat. In my opinion this is what is happening in North Korea at the moment.

The Americans have a number of combat ready infantry and armoured divisions in place in Korea - and I believe they will not hesitate to use them if the Korean 38th Parallel is breached in a major way.

So back to my opening paragraph, let's hope that my cynicism will not be realised - and that the NKoreans (the only Stalinist state remaining?) will be brought to heel by their 'mentors' the Chinese.

What the hell's this got to do with prospecting? Buggered if I know - but it seems important.

Forester
forester01
forester01
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2008-11-13

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4