Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is it normal to go days without finding any gold? Leonora

+3
Nightjar
kon61
piston broke
7 posters

Go down

Is it normal to go days without finding any gold? Leonora Empty Is it normal to go days without finding any gold? Leonora

Post  Guest Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:55 pm

Spend 5 days in Leonora. 4 days of nothing, then on the fifth day I found this...Its not much but its the first gold I have ever found and am pretty stoked just to find some. I cracked it open and more inside, used pinpointer on it and some solid bits. Mad respect for the old timers trying to find this stuff with no detectors, what a hard life it must have been.

Is it normal to go days without finding any gold? Leonora A4wll1

Back to top Go down

Is it normal to go days without finding any gold? Leonora Empty Re: Is it normal to go days without finding any gold? Leonora

Post  piston broke Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:44 am

If you are working a new area, then it's very possible to go days without finding gold.

Nice find there, well done. cheers Pete.
piston broke
piston broke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1633
Registration date : 2011-05-07

Back to top Go down

Is it normal to go days without finding any gold? Leonora Empty Re: Is it normal to go days without finding any gold? Leonora

Post  kon61 Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:45 am

Harder than any one of us here could imagine Alastair,but unless you know exactly what signs to look for,in any particular locality,it is normal to be prospecting for gold days on end,with nothing to show for it.Even signs such that of old workings,surfacings,type of rock formation encountered,don't guarantee ya gold,but persistence in ground time,is bound to pop up something,somewhere.Smile Well done on your find.

Cheers Kon.What a Face
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:26 am

All the well known gold fields were discovered by prospectors on foot or horse and specking visible gold. eg: Paddy Hannan and his mates picked up about 300ozs in a couple of days which led to the discovery of the Golden Mile.
Don't be disheartened going 4 days without a find. Have been swinging a coil since the 80's and a recent trip went 9 days with out a dig. Got plenty of exercise though. Smile

Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Post  Detectist Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:28 pm

I went almost 3 weeks on a recent trip to WA without finding gold. Character building but you do end up wondering what you're doing wrong or if the machine is working don't you?
Detectist
Detectist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:15 pm

Good find.  You might be suprised how much gold is in that specci. We use a multimeter to see if spots are conected through the specci but looking at that bit looks like could be surprising.  Hang in there and the gold will come to you if you walk over it. TG

Back to top Go down

Post  Digginerup Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:44 pm

Perfectly normal I would say, I almost always as a rule when asked what you need to get into detecting /prospecting reply, first of all you need to be capable of taking the disappointment that comes with the game sometimes , it can wear on you a little Rolling Eyes  days get pretty long when you can not find anything but rubbish or nothing at all of interest, personally speaking I,  like many I suspect, forget all about those dry days during moments of ecstasy and adrenaline that comes when the targets get loud and close together,  Q13  if I could bottle it I would be like an ice addict  T18  ....on it all day!! some believe in luck some don't, I believe your luck to be proportionate to your effort.....however not always rewarded, prayer  Q10 , patience , persistence, and paracetamol ....the only way forward lol! , keep at it , your reward awaits you Wink

Wayne. cheers
Digginerup
Digginerup
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2399
Registration date : 2012-05-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Al78 Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:08 am

UPDATE

I finally crushed up this bit of quartz I found a while back in Leonora, pretty happy with the results. Now I know exactly how much was in there, it was eating on my mind every time I looked at it.  

Is it normal to go days without finding any gold? Leonora 1452520435_a4wll1

Starting to look good
Is it normal to go days without finding any gold? Leonora 1452520453_002

Is it normal to go days without finding any gold? Leonora 1452520469_003

Al78

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2016-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post  hugh62 Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:47 am

UPDATE

I finally crushed up this bit of quartz I found a while back in Leonora, pretty happy with the results. Now I know exactly how much was in there, it was eating on my mind every time I looked at it.  

Is it normal to go days without finding any gold? Leonora 1452520435_a4wll1

Starting to look good
Is it normal to go days without finding any gold? Leonora 1452520453_002

Is it normal to go days without finding any gold? Leonora 1452520469_003

Congratulations mate espically on your first find !!
hugh62
hugh62
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 363
Registration date : 2014-02-09

Back to top Go down