Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GPZ Harness setup?

5 posters

Go down

GPZ Harness setup? Empty GPZ Harness setup?

Post  GPZhunter Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:38 pm

Well tomorrow shall be maiden voyage with the GPZ 7000.
Just wondering what setup everyone is using harness wise?
The pro swing 45 looks like it has a leggo kit of the golden gate bridge? ( way too complex )
Just trying setup at home and trying to use my hip-tick with the harness and its looking a bit user angry?
Coil is too heavy to swing solo and from the U tube clips nobody has a good shot of the Pro swing fully set up?
Where do you people put your bungy attachment on the detector shaft?

I am over the moon about the wireless setup, i hate the feeling of been attached by 3000 tangly cables to my detector.
Going to be an interesting day tomorrow?

GPZhunter
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2015-02-09

Back to top Go down

GPZ Harness setup? Empty Re: GPZ Harness setup?

Post  Guest Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:59 pm

You will work it out, trial and error.....  with the harness 
But once you get it set up just right for yourself, it's very good.

Hope you do well with it
Good luck

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:27 pm

GPZhunter wrote:Well tomorrow shall be maiden voyage with the GPZ 7000.
Just wondering what setup everyone is using harness wise?
The pro swing 45 looks like it has a leggo kit of the golden gate bridge? ( way too complex )
Just trying setup at home and trying to use my hip-tick with the harness and its looking a bit user angry?
Coil is too heavy to swing solo and from the U tube clips nobody has a good shot of the Pro swing fully set up?
Where do you people put your bungy attachment on the detector shaft?

I am over the moon about the wireless setup, i hate the feeling of been attached by 3000 tangly cables to my detector.
Going to be an interesting day tomorrow?

G'day GPZhunter

My suggestion is if your wanting to use to original "Hip Stick" then leave the "J" struts out of the 45pro harness and just go with the hip stick, I have been using the old harness with the hip stick and it works ok like that.

As for attaching the bungy, I use the Velcro thing that came with the 7000 and place it around the top shaft just in front of the handle, that way the bungy clears the underneath of the screen and doesn't tangle with the top of the screen, (some people have been saying it catches the top of the screen).

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  alchemist Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:29 pm

Hi GPZhunter,
                  I get mine next week it's been a long wait, seems like months.
I hope you have a successful day of introduction to your new GPZ
If you've got plenty of data to burn, Miners Den have a video on the PS45 Maybe you've already seen it
It doesn't show alot, but if you can look past the corny acting.
happy hunting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF15vnBV32k

alchemist
alchemist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2009-01-06

Back to top Go down

Post  GPZhunter Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:50 pm

Spent another 1/2 hour on it have it kind of set up?
I must say though the 2 piece struts that have two O-rings in the connector piece? What horrible engineering?
Every time you insert gently off pops one of the O-rings? I can picture seeing bits of these all over the golden triangle with in weeks?
I am not sure how long these things will last in the field?

Yes one needs to play around with lanyard adjustment as that screen gets in the way on your swing.
It is essential to get the weight of the coil supported by the harness or else you will tire out very quickly in the field and thats when you start missing those fain signals and gold.

Who ever has the brains and time please invent a really good harness you will make more than the Countries best GPZ operator or any after market coil manufacturer will on sales.

GPZhunter
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  GPZhunter Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:20 pm

Minelab engineers think that all detector operators are very tall fat men.
I now know why nobody posts video,s or pictures when wearing a Pro Swing Harness, when adjusted to suit operator they just don,t look right, look very uncomfortable.
The J struts need significant design improvement, starting with the O - Rings!

GPZhunter
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwijw Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:11 pm

Crikey....Shocked..... I have had no problems with my Pro swing 45 harness at all ever & I have been using it for a couple of years now. Not sure why you seem to be. confused  And I use mine a lot. I prefer it to a hip stick & it is never going to pop out & poke me in the eye when I bend down to dig a target. It is adjustible both ways for fat, skinny, tall or short. It is always there when you put on your battery harness, although you dont need that for the 7000. Is adjustable for both left & right handed. Unlike having to rig up the hip stick seperatly. I find the pro swing harness easy to just pull the "J" strut apart for putting the whole harness & battery in to a back pack for tramping in to remote workings up in the hills. Just like I did today on a 2 hour walk in to a spot. On getting there it is simple to just reinstate The "J" strut, slip on the harness, attach the bungy & away I go.  I really cant see your problem with the pro swing harness. It isnt rocket science, but maybe just a small learning curve from a hip stick.Rolling Eyes  Going to be interesting then to see what your learning curve patience is going to be with the GPZ 7000. Hopefully you get it sussed enough before you wrap it around a tree.lol!

Good luck out there

JW Smile
kiwijw
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1886
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post  kevlorraine2 Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:00 pm

hi gpzhunter, hope you had good luck today in the field.

got my Z this week. experimenting in the backyard (with some emi, but acceptable), i am very impressed. yes i know it not as good as finding a target in the ground, but the Z was able to easily hear my test piece of gold (,25g) at up to 7 inches.
the 5000 was struggling at about half that distance, in the settings that i usually used (enhance or normal with gain high, volume high, tone high with a NF 17x11 mono superlight)

i mention all those figures to give a comparison to this much heavier, quieter,sensitive, coil and setup.

i realise the heavier coil is a lot of potential problems to older men, women, or those in poor health. but me at 70 and now shrinking down to 5 feet 4 inches, i was able to convience myself to shorten the lead, and practically trip over the coil. the advantage was i wasnt so much holding a weight at arms length, but useing my fingers to hold up the weight on my downpointing arm. i tested for 45minutes without any need to think it was getting heavy. (didnt even think of it). the flow on advantage is i will have to take smaller steps so not to tread on the coil, and this will make me go slower and get a better coverage of the ground. (gotta outsmart myself).

i never even thought to put the pro 45 harness on. just clicked the wm12 onto my singlet. so i was comfortable and cool, no leads to worry about, not hooked up to anything. I WAS TOTALLY IMPRESSED. i think you have come up trumps again minelab.
only worry i have is getting used to the new BROADER, signal. i couldnt get the signal as sharp as the 5 or 45.

going detecting this week with my son on the 5 for comparison, really looking forward to it.
last thing to mention - my son can do all the digging Very Happy , and with the shorter shaft on the Z i will be able to use it as a walking stick if needed Razz ... kev

kevlorraine2
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 504
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post  GPZhunter Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:08 am

Well yesterday i put the GPZ 7000 through a thorough test in some locations i have found gold previously!

It excelled in performance when compared to my previous detector a GPX 5000.
My first nugget was got within the first hour a 1.5 grammar in a gully me and my mate have been over with almost every detector since the SD 2100 and there is barely a target left?
My mate came along and used his GPX 5000 and he also found two small nuggets with his GPX 5000, though he is far better than me at detecting. Very Happy

After lunch we headed to another nearby spot that has produced gold for us and many others over many years.
Within 2 hours i had found another 3 nuggets within a very close distance from the car, one been around 2 grams, the other two would be classified as SDC 2300 tiny nuggets proving minelab,s claim that the GPZ has excellent performance and sensitivity. My finds in this gully were from an area i could not find any gold with a 4500 or 5000?
My mate got his best bit for the day higher up from me.

I played with a number of settings of my GPZ and are more than happy with the purchase despite the high price of the unit!
The harness had one of the J struts drop out of the back locating point maybe 3 times but by the end of the day i had it pretty well sorted.

I am certain this great detector will bring in some more gold from the heavily searched gold producing areas over the next few years. Cool

GPZhunter
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  kevwr Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:55 pm

With the "o" rings, I just wet them a bit and the struts went together easily.

Make sure that the strut is fully inserted into the front of the jacket as the pocket it goes into is very tight. It needs to go right up to the socket inside. Also adjust the length of the struts and tighten the 2 straps on the front of the jacket to ensure that the struts are held firm and don't pop out of the socket.

Once I got mine set up corrected I loved it... might be heavy but I found it far less effort to use than a 5000 over a full day. The hip stick shares the workload between both arms and the harness takes the weight off your arms.

kevwr
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2014-04-29

Back to top Go down