Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How much is a gpz7000 really worth?

+22
matelot
rc62burke
Jay Gold
Jack outwest
Inhere
G.B.
Canned Heat
ruffles
Basada
tricky 1
The Sodd
goldnomad
slimpickens
deutran
kon61
thegoldman24
freshwater
llanbric
goldquest
Reno Chris
alchemist
GPZhunter
26 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

How much is a gpz7000 really worth? - Page 3 Empty Re: How much is a gpz7000 really worth?

Post  Inhere Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:10 pm

Very well said Lee, the height of arrogance I believe!
Inhere
Inhere
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 941
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

How much is a gpz7000 really worth? - Page 3 Empty Re: How much is a gpz7000 really worth?

Post  hawkear Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:28 pm

I'm sorry I'm a newcomer "blow in", I'm sorry I have an opinion and I'm sorry to see such a obviously touchy response. No disrespect was intended to anyone unable to justify the outlay for a new machine as I did not say they didn't deserve one but that one might not be justified. If you cant get out often enough maybe stick with the tried and true. I stand by what I said.
hawkear
hawkear
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2015-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gold Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:40 pm

I agree Hawker.

So much whinging going on about the price. If you cant afford it then too bad. Rather then whinging about Minelab, perhaps you should be looking within as to why you're in the financial position that can't afford one?

I bought an SDC and GPZ within 6 months which cost me $15,000. I can afford it because I'v invested time and hard work into my career which has put me in the financial position where I'm happy to spend that money on my hobbies.  If you haven't, then either change your situation so you can afford it or accept the fact that you just simply can't afford it and stop complaining. It costs what it costs, and i don't believe anyone is entitled to owning one just because they've owned Minelabs in the past or they are a long time member of a prospecting forum.

I don't whinge about the price of a new Ferrari. I just accept that it an engineering marvel and although it can drive from A to B like a Camary, countless hours and dollars have gone into designing it, which what makes it top of the class. Similar to the GPZ.

Im happy to spend $10700 on the best detector on the market thats going to give me the best chance of finding gold. Which it has.  Id rather keep jobs and money in Australia and by purchasing Minelab products, I'm hopefully securing the future of the GPZ8000 which will no doubt be a step above its predecessor.

Sorry for the rant.

JayMow.

Last edited by JayMowgrass on Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Jay Gold
Jay Gold
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2015-03-02

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeIyXg5rKxtrVNJPEM7FAgw

Back to top Go down

Post  G.B. Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:43 pm

hawkear wrote:I think all the whinging about the price of the new GPZ is quite unbecoming and to me sounds like a lot of immature children whinging because mummy Minelab didn’t give them a “lolly” for nothing. So it’s dear but that is what it costs to develop new stuff and not just retinkering and refining old technology. People I talked to at Minelab 5 years ago when the 5000 came out made no secret of the fact that the 5000 had been taken to almost the limits of its technology and that anything better would have to be something with significantly different technology. Read into that expensive to develop and a long time in the making. Well here it is 5 years later and significantly dearer - well what’s different to what we expected 5 years ago. The GPZ is a serious bit of new technology and will stand or fall on its performance.  So I think we should be men and either shut up or put our money where our mouths are.  I for one have never been disappointed any of Minelabs GP machines and if you haven’t found enough gold with your 5000 to pay for the new GPZ, you haven’t been trying hard or detecting well enough to justify having one.

Sorry l must have the wrong reading glasses on as l cannot read anywhere in this post what you claimed to have said in your response to Rc62burke
G.B.
G.B.
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1268
Registration date : 2012-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:05 pm

TO THE NEW FORUM MEMBERS, 
Have a good read at Lee's post and check out the rules of this forum. 
You people are getting very good information here to start you on the right track and for some of you that think that just because you have money to throw around and get the best detector money can buy....... How about showing some respect.! 
Respect one another and be of good cheer.

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:09 pm

thegoldman24 wrote:That's the spirit slim.Everyone seems to have an agenda nowadays.l also was shocked you wanted to buy a 7000 slim./why have you done a 180?

I'm still not 100% certain of getting one goldman. As Lee said, there still isn't much proof that it's pulling in the big ones from depth. Everytime i make up my mind to get it, somebody posts something that stops you dead in your tracks again. How can anyone say that this new technology is opening up the goldfields again. Are they talking about handfuls of 1 to 5 grammers off old patches? Is that it? Is that what Bruce spent the last 5 years developing, a patch mopper? Of course i'm going to eventually get one, and when, and if, really is nobodys business but our own. In a year, you will find enough gold to cover the loss if you have to sell it for about $9000. The question is: will it find bigger deeper nuggets than a Gpx to justify wasting all this time and money on it?
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Redfin Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:44 pm

From the White paper, I think this sums it up.

How much is a gpz7000 really worth? - Page 3 Captur10
Redfin
Redfin
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 679
Registration date : 2013-02-26

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:18 pm

Redfin wrote:From the White paper, I think this sums it up.

How much is a gpz7000 really worth? - Page 3 Captur10

Most experienced detectorist know this Redfin. And yet as much as we want it to be,the Zed has still not proven to be the gamechanger Bruce said it would be. Still it's early days yet
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  hawkear Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:14 pm

UNCLE BOB wrote:TO THE NEW FORUM MEMBERS, 
You people are getting very good information here to start you on the right track and for some of you that think that just because you have money to throw around and get the best detector money can buy....... How about showing some respect.! 

I am a newcomer to this forum but a prospector with over 30 years electronic prospecting experience. It is not luck that some regularly find more than others. I have seen many disappointed when buying new detectors, including the 5000, by just not finding gold because they do not work hard enough or have the right technique. If there are some on this forum who feel that they are not doing as well as others then they should ask why before justifying $10.7K for a new detector in the hope that it will make up for lack of hard work and technique. I make no apologies for that sentiment.
To uncle Bob, I have read and accept your reminder with good grace. To Slimpickins, Inhere as well as anyone just UNABLE TO AFFORD the GPZ, please accept my apology if offence was seen in my earlier post as I accept that I could have made my sentiment clearer.

hawkear
hawkear
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Basada Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:52 pm

Well said Hawker. I work for myself gold prospecting so as a pro I try to use the best available. That's why I swing a zed. Has my gold finds increased with the Zed the answer is yes. Why haven't I posted pictures up on this forum the answer is if you were me would you. I have no intentions of starting a gold Rush. I will just continue doing what I'm doing. I don't need to grandstand. As I have said before it doesn't bother me if you buy one or not. Well that's a bit wrong. I'd rather you didn't buy one. That equates for more gold for me. The Zed is worth its weight in gold to me anyway. The Zed does have some negatives but I think the positives far out weigh the Negatives. I think I will be swinging the Zed for a while to come.

Basada
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2014-03-26

Back to top Go down

How much is a gpz7000 really worth? - Page 3 Empty -how-much-is-a-gpz7000-really-worth

Post  Guest Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:10 pm

Q31 To the forum Hawkear and Jay mowgrass, no doubt others would have welcomed aswell, but you both decided to skip the NEW MEMBERS section and jump straight into it Rolling Eyes Great to hear you both have the Zed and with that much detecting experience under your belt we should be seeing a large haul of nuggets from you guys shortly Smile Oh buy the way, being new and all, their is a video section in the finds section Smile hope to see you in their before long, after 30 years plus you must have some great spots to return to with deep gold begging to be found Smile Oh I would say good luck, but buy the sounds you don't need it Smile

Back to top Go down

How much is a gpz7000 really worth? - Page 3 Empty -how-much-is-a-gpz7000-really-worth

Post  Guest Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:52 pm

Hi Basada, thanks for the pm. Smile

Last edited by bloodgold2 on Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : sorted out by pm)

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack outwest Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:44 pm

After Easter we will know a hell of a lot more about the 7000s performance ' lots of test will be done on targets in ground ' using past ML units to compare .
Until it's proved without doubt it can signal on bigger solid gold beyond any earlier machines capability ' many will wait before buying   Wink

jack .
Jack outwest
Jack outwest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1399
Registration date : 2012-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:27 pm

Jack outwest wrote:
Until it's proved without doubt it can signal on bigger solid gold beyond any earlier machines capability ' many will wait before buying   Wink

jack .

You got it right in one clear concise sentence Jack, thank you.

slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Inhere Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:40 pm

hawkear wrote:
over 30 year
I am a newcomer to this forum but a prospector withs electronic prospecting experience. It is not luck that some regularly find more than others. I have seen many disappointed when buying new detectors, including the 5000, by just not finding gold because they do not work hard enough or  have the right technique. If there are some on this forum who feel that they are not doing as well as others then they should ask why before justifying $10.7K for a new detector in the hope that it will make up for lack of hard work and technique. I make no apologies for that sentiment.
To uncle Bob, I have read and accept your reminder with good grace. To Slimpickins, Inhere as well as anyone just UNABLE TO AFFORD the GPZ, please accept my apology if offence was seen in my earlier post as I accept that I could have made my sentiment clearer.

Well thanks for the apology Hawkear but you presume to much, people who know me, would have no doubt that If I wanted, I could own a
7000 tomorrow. To be quite honest, I have no doubts that the 7000 is better…in some ways….in some places but ….at the moment, It is not saying buy me…..not to me anyway.

I do take offence when people want to infer their own reasons for buying one, are the only reasons needed and if anyone askes a question
they need to be gently attacked as whingers or brokes, until they fall into line with the wants, of what frankly appear to be dealers or dealers minions under brand new names.

If you really have that 30 plus years of electronic prospecting experience, you would understand that where you detect is much more important
than than whether you own the very latest Minelab.
Inhere
Inhere
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 941
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:00 pm

Aww jeez Inhere, i was just about to ask these small appendiged pro's to start a collection up for us. They can afford it. Maybe they can bring it up at their next village id!ot symposium The inferiority complexes being shown are truly amazing! Alms for the poor, alms for the poor. LOL

Last edited by slimpickens on Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack outwest Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:11 pm

slimpickens wrote:
You got it right in one clear concise sentence Jack, thank you.

Thanks Very Happy I do have a  gut feeling that the 7000 at $10,700 will not get my bucks    Q08

Inhere ' Liked your post .

jack
Jack outwest
Jack outwest
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1399
Registration date : 2012-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post  rc62burke Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:32 am

hawkear wrote:I'm sorry I'm a newcomer "blow in", I'm sorry I have an opinion and I'm sorry to see such a obviously touchy response. No disrespect was intended to anyone unable to justify the outlay for a new machine as I did not say they didn't deserve one but that one might not be justified. If you cant get out often enough maybe stick with the tried and true. I stand by what I said.

hawkear
No need to be sorry for having an opinion, though the way you express it may need a little work! Not a touchy response at all it was fully justified due to a number of new folks coming here & showing little respect merely a wake up call that it will not be tolerated.

You Wrote
"

I think all the whinging about the price of the new GPZ is quite unbecoming and to me sounds like a lot of immature children whinging because mummy Minelab didn’t give them a “lolly” for nothing. So it’s dear but that is what it costs to develop new stuff and not just retinkering and refining old technology. People I talked to at Minelab 5 years ago when the 5000 came out made no secret of the fact that the 5000 had been taken to almost the limits of its technology and that anything better would have to be something with significantly different technology. Read into that expensive to develop and a long time in the making. Well here it is 5 years later and significantly dearer - well what’s different to what we expected 5 years ago. The GPZ is a serious bit of new technology and will stand or fall on its performance. So I think we should be men and either shut up or put our money where our mouths are. I for one have never been disappointed any of Minelabs GP machines and if you haven’t found enough gold with your 5000 to pay for the new GPZ, you haven’t been trying hard or detecting well enough to justify having one.
hawkear

Are these the comments that you "Stand By", when I see comments like these I think that the poster is trying to shut down a discussion!!! for whatever reason!!!! Telling us to "Shut up" is just disrespectful no matter who it is from!!!

Whinging!! hey? well there seems to be a lot of "Whinging" about people whinging about stuff don't you think?????? this is a forum to discuss topics related to metal detecting & as per the rules if it remains respectful then there are no issue's!!!!!!!!
rc62burke
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post  rc62burke Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:45 am

JayMowgrass wrote:I agree Hawker.

So much whinging going on about the price. If you cant afford it then too bad. Rather then whinging about Minelab, perhaps you should be looking within as to why you're in the financial position that can't afford one?

I bought an SDC and GPZ within 6 months which cost me $15,000. I can afford it because I'v invested time and hard work into my career which has put me in the financial position where I'm happy to spend that money on my hobbies.  If you haven't, then either change your situation so you can afford it or accept the fact that you just simply can't afford it and stop complaining. It costs what it costs, and i don't believe anyone is entitled to owning one just because they've owned Minelabs in the past or they are a long time member of a prospecting forum.

I don't whinge about the price of a new Ferrari. I just accept that it an engineering marvel and although it can drive from A to B like a Camary, countless hours and dollars have gone into designing it, which what makes it top of the class. Similar to the GPZ.

Im happy to spend $10700 on the best detector on the market thats going to give me the best chance of finding gold. Which it has.  Id rather keep jobs and money in Australia and by purchasing Minelab products, I'm hopefully securing the future of the GPZ8000 which will no doubt be a step above its predecessor.

Sorry for the rant.

JayMow.

Mr JayMow
So much whinging going on is there?? it seems there is a lot of "Whinging" going on about the "Whinging" going on & you are taking part in the "Whinging" so who is the smart one now?????

Your comments about the financial position of folks here just reeks of "Absolute Arrogance" spoken like someone who enjoys Pi$$ing down on the average Joe, your lack of respect shown by this post "Your 2nd" is just crap!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't believe anyone has stated that they are entitled to own one, that comment is just "Delusional"

The rules here are simple "Respect"
rc62burke
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  rc62burke Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:55 am

hawkear wrote:

I am a newcomer to this forum but a prospector with over 30 years electronic prospecting experience. It is not luck that some regularly find more than others. I have seen many disappointed when buying new detectors, including the 5000, by just not finding gold because they do not work hard enough or  have the right technique. If there are some on this forum who feel that they are not doing as well as others then they should ask why before justifying $10.7K for a new detector in the hope that it will make up for lack of hard work and technique. I make no apologies for that sentiment.

hawkear
Obviously with your time behind a detector, you will have some knowledge to share & I implore you to share that knowledge!!
Your above post demonstrates you have better judgement than you displayed in the post I responded to!!
rc62burke
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gold Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:25 pm

rc62burke wrote:
JayMowgrass wrote:I agree Hawker.

Sorry for the rant.

JayMow.

Mr JayMow
So much whinging going on is there?? it seems there is a lot of "Whinging" going on about the "Whinging" going on & you are taking part in the "Whinging" so who is the smart one now?????

Your comments about the financial position of folks here just reeks of "Absolute Arrogance" spoken like someone who enjoys Pi$$ing down on the average Joe, your lack of respect shown by this post "Your 2nd" is just crap!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't believe anyone has stated that they are entitled to own one, that comment is just "Delusional"

The rules here are simple "Respect"

Gday Lee.

I don't particually want to get into a debate on this topic but my comment regarding the Ferrari pretty much sums it up. You are correct in the fact that i was whinging about whinging which goes nowhere. Perhaps i also could have been a little more PC in my delivery but i feel there seems to me a lot of wasted energy focused on the affordability of this new detector. Unfortunately the GPZ costs $10700, like it or not its just the reality. Like death and taxes. The price apparently won't change so the only way to make it more affordable is to change your situation.

In no way did i intend or do i seek gratification on "pissing down on the average joe" because then i would be pissing on myself, although i have done this before unintentionally whilst peeing in an aircraft toilet during turbulence.

Im sorry of i offended anyone.

I just think its far better to focus our attention on actually using this detector as best we can to maximise our returns, rather then focus on things we can't control .

JayMow.
Jay Gold
Jay Gold
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2015-03-02

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeIyXg5rKxtrVNJPEM7FAgw

Back to top Go down

Post  rc62burke Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:57 pm

Gday Lee.

I don't particually want to get into a debate on this topic but my comment regarding the Ferrari pretty much sums it up. You are correct in the fact that i was whinging about whinging which goes nowhere. Perhaps i also could have been a little more PC in my delivery but i feel there seems to me a lot of wasted energy focused on the affordability of this new detector. Unfortunately the GPZ costs $10700, like it or not its just the reality. Like death and taxes. The price apparently won't change so the only way to make it more affordable is to change your situation.

In no way did i intend or do i seek gratification on "pissing down on the average joe" because then i would be pissing on myself, although i have done this before unintentionally whilst peeing in an aircraft toilet during turbulence.

Im sorry of i offended anyone.

I just think its far better to focus our attention on actually using this detector as best we can to maximise our returns, rather then focus on things we can't control .

JayMow.
[/quote]

I have a different view on the price!!! I remember that there was a lot of discussion about the price of the SDC2300 when it came out & I was of the same opinion "Overpriced" low & behold Minelab put out a special!!!! To me there is always a chance that the price could change, more so if we voice our opinions!!!!!!!!!!
rc62burke
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  matelot Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:21 pm

Q10 Q10 Q10 Q34 Q34 Q25 Q28

Matelot
matelot
matelot
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2010-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post  hawkear Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:09 pm

A try! I sold my trusty 5000 just recently to give either the SDC or GPZ a try. Even had I decided against both, I reasoned re-buying a 5000 was an option as mine was 5 years old and I could have re-bought a newer in warantee machine quite reasonably at the moment. I have seen the SDC in action and very impressive it is on small stuff but had heard mixed reports about the GPZ. I think I have gleaned enough through the smokescreen about the GPZ to give it a try.
I will have to cash in about 5 ounces of the gold I have found over the last few years to add to the money I got for my 5000. I suppose that's what its worth to me. Gold is nice but I'm not in love with gold for gold's sake but I absolutely love the hunt for it! I think if I did not have the gold reserve I would certainly have thought more favourably on the other options.
Like new cars no doubt the 7000 will depreciate but I think there is an investment value there when time eventually wearies the digger.
I am one who finds the great majority of my gold just carefully detecting in well known goldfields not from any special or secret spots. It will be interesting to see how it performs in this role. Could be a few more weeks before I get my hands on one and an opportunity to try it out but hopefully will have something good to post about.
PS As reminded I hadn't posted in the newbie section when I joined but have now.
hawkear
hawkear
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:02 pm

Found this wobbling around the farm yesterday, reminded me of someone. scratch   Razz

How much is a gpz7000 really worth? - Page 3 Echidn10

My niece named him "Ouchy" Q24
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Doofus Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:47 pm

lol!    Yep there are some prickly ars*d bast*rds out there when it comes to this new machine.  I guess I'm one of them  Razz
Am I convinced ? no I'm not but I will be spending some hard earned soon  Very Happy
My choice come hell or hell or what ever the saying is  lol!

Doofus
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2015-03-08

Back to top Go down

How much is a gpz7000 really worth? - Page 3 Empty First impressions of a 7000 - a brute of a machine!

Post  hawkear Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:12 pm

How much is a gpz7000 really worth? - Page 3 P1010619

Picked up a 7000 just yesterday and have some first impressions I would like to share. The photo shows my first effort - no fairy tale first day out!

The dealer had assembled the machine and charged the battery when I picked it up. The detector did feel heavy but I was expecting that. After a quick counter top run through on the basics, I was let loose. I only had a few hours up my sleeve before making a long trip home so for a first outing I chose a close by area which had previously yielded me many small bits up to 2 grams from the piles of heavily worked ground.
Setting up I found that I couldn’t get any sound coming through the wireless module although there was no problem with this in the counter top demo. A quick read of the instructions and I was none the wiser, I had to assume the module battery was flat.  
I just decided to plug the headphones into the detector jack although this left me a little short on cable length.
The dealer had pre-set the 7000 to “High Yield” which he felt was the equivalent of the “Fine Gold” setting I used on my old 5000. I had no difficulty in getting the machine turned on and to the ready to detect stage. The screen takes you through a predetermined noise reduction and ground balance procedure, which I felt a little irritating compared to the switch on and go I was used to with the 5000. It only took about two minutes so I think I could get used to that.
I didn’t bother about the harness, easy arm or bungy for my first session but wanted just to get it going and get the feel of how heavy it would be without any assistance. The area I had chosen was very uneven, with lots of ground litter, rocks and other impediments about.  I soon found that although the arm rest and handle were well positioned for good balance and I could manage a nice side to side swing, when I got in real action it was a different story. The unevenness of the ground I chose prevented anything like an even side to side swing as I was forced change directions, push and pull, lift over or around branches, stones etc. This is where the weight and size of the coil caused it to become very difficult to control and I started feeling the arm strain.  
I was also disappointed that I was unable to get the threshold to settle down into a nice smooth tone as with the 5000. There seemed to be a continual chirping in the background and did not appear stable over the patch of ground I had chosen.  I tried manual ground balance as with the 5000 I was used to picking the GB setting for a particular patch of ground and then changing manually when I saw or sensed that I had moved to another patch of ground with different GB character. I even tried another initiation and noise reduction set up but it always came back to exactly the same level of chirping.
In the first hour I managed to identify about half a dozen targets. The target sound could best be described as a “wow” in among the general chirping and needed a number of swings to establish with some degree of certainty to my uninitiated ears. When getting close to the target these signals turned into a “wow wow” double signal. This latter double signal has an advantage in pinpointing, as the target is exactly under the mid line of the coil in between the wows of the double signal so I had no trouble isolating the targets all of which unfortunately proved to be shotgun pellets. Having detected these through a layer of ground litter, I was starting to feel a bit encouraged about the capability of the machine as, had I been using my 5000, I would have been delighted to have received so many targets in an hour in ground that I had been over many times before. I am no expert when it comes to shot size but I also sensed that the sizes of many of the shot I was picking up were smaller than the size of shot I usually detected with my 5000.

Heading for a break after an hour with my shoulder feeling some effects from the heavy coil I then set up with a harness and bungy After the break, I got my first signal some 4 to 5 inches deep and under an inch or two of litter. It turned out to be a shattered bit of 22 bullet, but had my heart racing for a moment. I was starting to get used to the sound of a true target among the background chirping, a few more pellets and then another target this time on a bare patch. Out came another shattered bit of 22. but I was in no doubt that this was a target that had been unheard by my 5000 as I had been over this particular square foot of ground as many times as any other place I have ever been to.
All in all it was no fairy tale first outing with no gold found but it did produce 14 targets in two hours working a small area heavily detected by my old 5000. On the last occasion I was there, I think I got barely half a dozen targets in a full morning.
My overall impression is that it is a brute of a machine, heavy and difficult to wield. I was not able to settle the threshold down from its wearisome chirping but nevertheless I have no hesitation even at this early stage to say that it is more sensitive and deeper than the 5000 on the small bits I was targeting on my first outing. I think it will find its best application in places where you are able to get unimpeded swings on nice open ground but will be less happy swinging in confined gullies, uneven and ground litter strewn areas.
I am disappointed that the machine only comes with an abbreviated multi language “getting started booklet” and not a full manual. I would have been struggling had not my dealer not been kind enough to print me out a copy. In years to come I can visualise having to cope out in the field with instructions consisting of tatty pieces of A4 paper stapled together. I think Minelab should have done better for the price of this machine and maybe its not too late for them to rectify this for us all.
I have posted these early thoughts as it may be of interest to others and I am also hopeful for getting some suggestions in overcoming the issue of the noisy threshold.
hawkear
hawkear
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Redfin Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:32 pm

Now hawkear, before I picked mine up I already had the manual printed, and read back to front a few times, and was totally familiar with the
menu. Perhaps your lack of preparation influenced your first experience.
Redfin
Redfin
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 679
Registration date : 2013-02-26

Back to top Go down

Post  hawkear Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:27 pm

True Redfin. But I'm a guy and what real men read instructions before operating something.
I have read it since I got home and already having had that little go makes the instructions more understandable. I suppose that everyone expects you to have a printer at your disposal these days which I didn't when I was in a car 200 kms away from home and even now back at home my printer is a mono so I wouldn't have had the colour diagrams.
I think my experience would not be unusual for many who would travel some distance to pick one up from a dealer in the goldfields and then expect to fit in a bit of detecting while there. True there were some negative impressions in my first experience but on the most important - performance - I think its a sleeping giant.
hawkear
hawkear
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Aurumick Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:56 pm

G'day Hawkear,

Have you played around with the different Audio smoothing's such as high or try a lower threshold, readjust sensitivity. difficult ground mode, and another gold mode. I'm sure you will work something out in time, Yes they are a great machine once you get to now it.

Are they worth it,    Every cent.IMO,
Aurumick
Aurumick
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 351
Registration date : 2014-12-03

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next