Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GPZ 7000 coil

+16
BatchelorGold
goldchaser
robby_h
slimpickens
Aurumick
Mechanic
goldnomad
Narrawa
Inhere
GoldHound
kevlorraine2
Digginerup
LuckyLundy
geof_junk
echidna
Tributer
20 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

GPZ 7000 coil - Page 3 Empty Re: GPZ 7000 coil

Post  GoldHound Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:53 pm

Common mate just nick outside and test it out now mate takes all of 2 min cyclops
GoldHound
GoldHound
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 547
Registration date : 2014-01-06

Back to top Go down

Post  goldchaser Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:55 pm

GoldHound wrote:Common mate just nick outside and test it out now mate takes all of 2 min cyclops

Beer o'clock........ lol! lol! lol!
goldchaser
goldchaser
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1267
Registration date : 2009-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:01 pm

GoldHound wrote:Common mate just nick outside and test it out now mate takes all of 2 min cyclops
I know!!!! I know!!!!
I might KNOW!!!! Q04

It's their hearing..  maybe they are partly deaf from where they work.
So their hearing is down.

Just a guess.. Q41  Q29 I should really keep out of it hey?

Back to top Go down

Post  goldchaser Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:08 pm

Jen58 wrote:
I know!!!! I know!!!!
I might KNOW!!!! Q04

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Mike control your woman.... Razz Razz lol!
GH checked in backyard on cancel,gain 15 as this morn,video'd it,ya not gonna like it.....
Looks like a good plug for Detech affraid
goldchaser
goldchaser
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldHound Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:19 pm

goldchaser wrote:
Jen58 wrote:
I know!!!! I know!!!!
I might KNOW!!!! Q04

Mike control your woman....   Razz Razz  lol!
 GH checked in backyard on cancel,gain 15 as this morn,video'd it,ya not gonna like it.....
 Looks like a good plug for Detech   affraid

Why in cancel?
Who detects in cancel?
All of my tests were done in normal or dd on the switch and normal, fg, SG, enhance, smooth in the timings.
GoldHound
GoldHound
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  goldchaser Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:28 pm

Try it next time im out bush,be the same i reckon,cancel is the only option in town,unplugged coil,gave it some slack,pretty well got no extra noise on that 8" detech flicking it up and down a few inches above coil......
goldchaser
goldchaser
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:31 pm

goldchaser wrote:

I could say something, but I won't  Laughing Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post  goldchaser Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:36 pm

Jen58 wrote:
goldchaser wrote:

I could say something, but I won't  Laughing Laughing

lol! lol! lol!
Ive got my ear plugs in all good.......
goldchaser
goldchaser
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldHound Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:46 pm

Just got back in.
Ml 11in, 14in nf, 20in nf, 25in nf all do it on mine.
And all of them are working fine, I do not have a 8in detech or ml to try though, gave my 8in away to a mate after I got the SDC.
GoldHound
GoldHound
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  goldchaser Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:58 pm

GoldHound wrote:Just got back in.
And all of them are working fine, I do not have a 8in detech or ml to try though, gave my 8in away to a mate after I got the SDC.

Yeah i dont know GH, are you getting signal type responces? Had me interested in regards to my drag coil,cause it cops alot of movement-vibrations,as long as we can hear the nuggets thats the main thing hey.....
goldchaser
goldchaser
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldHound Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:11 pm

goldchaser wrote:

Yeah i dont know GH, are you getting signal type responces? Had me interested in regards to my drag coil,cause it cops alot of movement-vibrations,as long as we can hear the nuggets thats the main thing hey.....  

Yeah mate signal response when lifting lead up and down in relation to coil and chattery noise when wobbled side to side.
That's why I keep my leads tight.

In regards to the drag coil you should be able to rigg it so its got no movement in relation to coil.
I don't like drag coils I prefer a big elli, to easy to miss that tell tail bit with the drag coil.
GoldHound
GoldHound
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  goldchaser Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:13 pm

GoldHound wrote:
goldchaser wrote:

Yeah mate signal response when lifting lead up and down in relation to coil and chattery noise when wobbled side to side.
That's why I keep my leads tight.

In regards to the drag coil you should be able to rigg it so its got no movement in relation to coil.
I don't like drag coils I prefer a big elli, to easy to miss that tell tail bit with the drag coil.

When ya get to 48 GH you'll like drag coils..... Very Happy Very Happy
goldchaser
goldchaser
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Mechanic Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:55 pm

Hi Goldchaser,

Cancel is not the best mode to do this test, especially with a mono. DD or mono with your settings so the detector is just on the edge of erratic.

Hi Goldhound,

I have also noticed that the lead will be picked up by the coil, but mostly when the detector is set on the ground with the coil flat on the ground. When set like this though the lead is very close to the windings. I also set up my coil lead so there is just enough lead between the coil and stem to move the coil around to 90° to the stem. I also use those plastic clips and run the coil lead STRAIGHT up on the top side of the lower stem and only curl it around the upper shaft(unless the clips have run away from me Very Happy ). Next time I'm out I'll give the coil lead a bump, but I'm pretty sure mine don't do that.
What does happen is the copper litz strands can start to fatigue after a good amount of use and they will start to break where the lead enters the coil. This will cause false signals as the strands contact/loose contact. The term I use is lead falsing... If it is the case of the well used lead, contact NF, I'm pretty sure they repair them.
Another thing worth checking is that the coil plug is grounded properly. Just start up your tecta, make sure the nut is tight on the plug and just gently touch the metal body of the plug, not moving the plug. If you get a wail out of this then the coil plug is not grounded properly as the ground connection to the box is on the rear(power input side) endcap of the box, and the box is painted. Also with the detector off, measure the resistance between pin 5 of the plug (top right pin) and the coil plug body, you should get less than 1 ohm.
While on the subject the other thing worth looking at are your coil plugs. First confirm that the contacts have 2 splits in them. If they are the single split plug, they need to be replaced. Also make sure the coil socket pins are clean, use a cotton tip with some non oily contact cleaner, metho, white spirit and if your really desperate some of the maniac's Bundy Razz Razz Laughing Make sure the contacts in the coil plug are clean too, toothpicks and contact cleaner are good for this, you don't want to push something too big in there as it will damage the contacts.

Now to keep the off topic police happy, back on topic. I think the coil will have a curly lead up the inside of the coil stem. The plug will be at the control box, not halfway down the stem. Chipped coil? Lets wait and see Cool I hope they have some bigger coils for it...

Cheers Mick

Mechanic
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 695
Registration date : 2011-02-20

https://DetectronicsAustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:05 pm

lol! Gee Goldchaser, you can't win this argument  lol!

Suspect  Off topic police  Suspect  Where ?
You are imagining things mick Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post  Mechanic Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:11 pm

LOL Jen, they are always there watching Suspect and waiting for the opportunity to chime in and cry that the thread has gone off topic Razz I'm watchin you lot Suspect Razz Personally I think all good threads go off on off topic tangents, things just would not flow the same if they did not and new threads were created for the off topic posts instead. Its just the way things roll Cool

Cheers Mick

Mechanic
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldHound Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:19 pm

Mechanic wrote:Hi Goldchaser,

Cancel is not the best mode to do this test, especially with a mono. DD or mono with your settings so the detector is just on the edge of erratic.

Hi Goldhound,

I have also noticed that the lead will be picked up by the coil, but mostly when the detector is set on the ground with the coil flat on the ground. When set like this though the lead is very close to the windings. I also set up my coil lead so there is just enough lead between the coil and stem to  move the coil around to 90° to the stem. I also use those plastic clips and run the coil lead STRAIGHT up on the top side of the lower stem and only curl it around the upper shaft(unless the clips have run away from me Very Happy ). Next time I'm out I'll give the coil lead a bump, but I'm pretty sure mine don't do that.
What does happen is the copper litz strands can start to fatigue after a good amount of use and they will start to break where the lead enters the coil. This will cause false signals as the strands contact/loose contact. The term I use is lead falsing... If it is the case of the well used lead, contact NF, I'm pretty sure they repair them.
Another thing worth checking is that the coil plug is grounded properly. Just start up your tecta, make sure the nut is tight on the plug and just gently touch the metal body of the plug, not moving the plug. If you get a wail out of this then the coil plug is not grounded properly as the ground connection to the box is on the rear(power input side) endcap of the box, and the box is painted. Also with the detector off, measure the resistance between pin 5 of the plug (top right pin) and the coil plug body, you should get less than 1 ohm.
While on the subject the other thing worth looking at are your coil plugs. First confirm that the contacts have 2 splits in them. If they are the single split plug, they need to be replaced. Also make sure the coil socket pins are clean, use a cotton tip with some non oily contact cleaner, metho, white spirit and if your really desperate some of the maniac's Bundy  Razz  Razz  Laughing Make sure the contacts in the coil plug are clean too, toothpicks and contact cleaner are good for this, you don't want to push something too big in there as it will damage the contacts.

Now to keep the off topic police happy, back on topic. I think the coil will have a curly lead up the inside of the coil stem. The plug will be at the control box, not halfway down the stem. Chipped coil? Lets wait and see Cool I hope they have some bigger coils for it...

Cheers Mick

Gday Mick
Yeah that's what I'm talking about.
I also know about lead fatigue and I just throw away the coil then as its flogged and has definitely made me plenty of money by the time that happens.
I am not saying this is a major problem, it is not a probem for me because i know about it and control the cause, loose leads and coil knocking up or down quickly.
I was just trying to explain why you need to keep your leads tight and how it could be a problem on a detector where the wire is in the shaft.
I thought everyone knew the detector could detect the lead scratch
GoldHound
GoldHound
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:28 pm

Mechanic wrote:LOL Jen, they are always there watching Suspect and waiting for the opportunity to chime in and cry that the thread has gone off topic Razz I'm watchin you lot Suspect Razz Personally I think all good threads go off on off topic tangents, things just would not flow the same if they did not and new threads were created for the off topic posts instead. Its just the way things roll  Cool

Cheers Mick
Yeah I know they are watching.. Suspect  I have one sitting next to me  lol!
I agree!
I love it when a topic goes off topic, we wouldn't be human if we didn't stray a bit..
It allways comes back on topic.
Like you say " it's just the way things roll" 
So roll on Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post  Mechanic Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:10 pm

Oh and on the topic of being off topic Razz The ATX, I found that the detector would false when the coil was bumped, but this was not the coil that was causing the problem as when you put the detector on the ground flat and bumped the coil, there was nothing. I found it would false when the control box was bumped and I'm pretty sure it was due to the connector on the board. The wires from the coil plug to the board should have been soldered directly to the board, not through another connector Rolling Eyes

Cheers Mick

Mechanic
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  goldchaser Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:15 am

Jen58 wrote:lol! Gee Goldchaser, you can't win this argument  lol!

Suspect  Off topic police  Suspect  Where ?
You are imagining things mick Laughing

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
goldchaser
goldchaser
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:41 am

Im happy with the vid showing that.....
The two most venerable areas are where the lead enters the coil, and control box.
If i did the vid, i doubt i would have been as brutal... Laughing  but it go's to show....the lead is of no threat to a working coil unless the lead is warn or faulty.
At the control box end, any movement will cause falsing...always has since the 2k to the 5k. Thats about to change on the 7k.

Too much emphasis is placed on how the lead should be wound on the shaft or secured to it. You saw the vid, if you get major sound offs when and if you mimic this test, you have a problem. Remember, he was frigging with the lead where it stands in free air...there is wire in the lead and it was moving across a stationary monoloop coil. So it wont matter squat how well you afix it to the shaft. If its going to false, you will certainly hear it by mimicking this simple test.
However, i would allow a small amount of noise from mimicking this test on some older coils with age. Not all leads are made equal, there could be movement in the nut housing where the lead enters the coil housing. The O ring if applicable may need pushing down a little which will take up some movement, and the securing nut tightened. Some newer models coils may not have the securing nut any more.? It was highlighted to me that if the lead is flattered or crushed in any way, this could also play havoc with the shielding in the lead causing falsing to occur.

Back to the topic and my apologies to the author if we strayed a tad off topic.
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  BatchelorGold Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:31 am

So an 11 and 20 inch coil with lower stem can be bought for the 7000. They advise that you should avoid removing the coils from stems as they will supply the lower stem with the new coils. Interesting.
It's all in the manual that I read last night! Shocked
BatchelorGold
BatchelorGold
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2011-03-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:27 am

At the control box end, any movement will cause falsing...always has since the 2k to the 5k. Thats about to change on the 7k.
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Undertaker Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:08 pm

The coil looks very heavy and having that coil configuration will give a double signal when the nugget is close to the coil. It will be a problem trying to pinpoint but not so bad with the potato sized nuggets. A pinpointer will be a must have with this machine.
Undertaker
Undertaker
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 281
Registration date : 2010-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post  goldchaser Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:31 am

Anybody a bit worried about the weight of the 20" minelab coil,ive swung the commander 18"dd and its a heavy coil,i reckon the price is gonna be crazy just like the detector but the weight really has me worried,hoping nugget finder- coiltek-detech are allowed to make these coils and get onto it quick smart,or if minelab have the coils covered (patented) well im barking up the wrong tree.....???
goldchaser
goldchaser
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  IGotBigNuggets Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:38 pm

goldchaser wrote: Anybody a bit worried about the weight of the 20" minelab coil,ive swung the commander 18"dd and its a heavy coil,i reckon the price is gonna be crazy just like the detector but the weight really has me worried,hoping nugget finder- coiltek-detech are allowed to make these coils and get onto it quick smart,or if minelab have the coils covered (patented) well im barking up the wrong tree.....???

With the 3 overlapping windings there will be no open coil design. It will be a solid coil, no matter who makes them. Only difference will be the material they use to construct them.
IGotBigNuggets
IGotBigNuggets
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2013-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post  delete52 Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:19 pm

No mater who makes the coils the same amount of wire and plastic housing and electronics well have to go in to the coil to make it work they will not be lighter. Only way the other coil builders will be able to make coils for the 7000 will be if Minelab give them permission. I think they will still what to know how it works and cut one open to see how it works they are clever people and have the technology to do that.

delete52
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2011-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post  goldchaser Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:42 pm

Had a chat with a bloke that was at the usa conference this arv,grilled him on the coils a bit,kinda found out what i wanted to know,don't think i should share it at the moment sorry....
goldchaser
goldchaser
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:52 pm

goldchaser wrote: Had a chat with a bloke that was at the usa conference this arv,grilled him on the coils a bit,kinda found out what i wanted to know,don't think i should share it at the moment sorry....

Well thanks for that. Laughing Laughing Laughing

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  CostasDee Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:01 pm

Q33 Dave, someone please give that goldchaser a slap across the back of the head!!!
CostasDee
CostasDee
Management

Number of posts : 3971
Registration date : 2010-11-23

Back to top Go down

Post  goldchaser Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:15 pm

I might get taken off "the list".... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
goldchaser
goldchaser
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next