Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

About the 4800

2 posters

Go down

About the 4800 Empty About the 4800

Post  mannalay Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:25 pm

I submitted this post below at the tail of an old topic but thought it might be worth reposting to generate more discussion on the 4800

Hi Gentlemen
Sorry to wade in so late but was flicking through the forum whilst eating lunch at work and this discussion caught my eye. I have owned a 4500 in the past and more recently 5000 that I sold about 12 months ago to top up the finances due to an illness that almost killed me and left me in a wheelchair. The good new is that I defied the odds, survived and walked again. I did some testing with the detector and realised that a detector is as good as the walking stick so bought a 4800 on special from Coiltec. I can understand the logical speculation of it's ability due to the missing features but assure you that it DOES find gold. It runs quiet, in fact quieter than my 5000 and a lot quieter than the 4500....maybe it is the lack of razzamattaz that makes it that way. I can crank up the gain without wobble in places that my mates 5000 doesn't like. I don't miss anything small or large and have found gold regularly with it. It lacks nothing that a Rooster Booster or similar can't compensate for, remember boosters negate the inbuilt amp so we are back to square. Personally, I have nothing but praise, it has the latest circuitry and comes with a warranty unlike secondhand 4500s at comparable prices and secondhand 5000s that can still cost more and NO WARRANTY. It's a personal choice for us all but just wanted to fill in the gaps for the speculators on it's performance and those who are considering buying one but wonder if they are the real deal. For my money and experience it's good value for the price. I might add that I have found gold with all of these detectors and this is just my personal experience.

Cheers
Mannalay
mannalay
mannalay
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2010-05-09

Back to top Go down

About the 4800 Empty 4800

Post  Hermann Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:37 am

Hi I agree , my 4800 also runs quieter than any Minelab detector that I've had before, and I have had all of them. This year I only found 89 nuggets, that is due to old age and detecting only 3 hours a day instead of 7. The smallest one is 0.08 and the biggest 5.7gm. So, the big one is still to come. Recently I bought a 11" round Detech mono coil, this coil works fantastic on the 4800, I got 3 and 5 grammers at 35cm depth in enhance. I hope that everyone else is not running out and buying a Detech coil LOL.

Hermann
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2012-05-27

Back to top Go down

About the 4800 Empty Re: About the 4800

Post  Guest Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:28 pm

Sorry to hear of your health problems Mannalay..
But glad to hear that you beat it, and are still out there detecting T06

Yep Hermann.... you have started a detech coil RUSH.
Q25  Q25

I can't comment on the 4800... I have never tried one. Crying or Very sad

Back to top Go down

Post  mannalay Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:24 pm

Hi Jen, thanks for asking..........I'm better than anyone thought I could be. I'm proud to say that the doctors were astounded not only that I made it but went back to near perfect health except for the damage caused to my spinal cord. I'm grateful for another chance at life and to swing the detector again..........it's a bit tricky but it was something I never thought would happen so am grateful for every day.

Life can change in a heartbeat.

Very Happy cheers
mannalay
mannalay
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2010-05-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:28 pm

Yes Mannalay.. You are so right..