Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What to cook when away camping

+17
Rege-PA
Burnt Out
Aussie Jason
Redfin
Detrackozi
G.B.
determined1
pheasant plucker
Narrawa
GoldenGus
piston broke
kon61
slimpickens
rc62burke
Nightjar
Digginerup
Gold&Relics
21 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

What to cook when away camping - Page 2 Empty Re: What to cook when away camping

Post  slimpickens Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:52 pm

9CT wrote:[ 9ct
 Q20

Ahh! shiraz I was just checking my diary and I seem to have misplaced your address, could you please forward it again. T21 

9ct
 Q20[/quote]
Ha! You and the rest.  Laughing
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Back to top Go down

What to cook when away camping - Page 2 Empty -what-to-cook-when-away-camping

Post  Guest Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:02 pm

reckon I will give shiraz recipe a shot next time out  Smile looks good bud  Very Happy 

Back to top Go down

What to cook when away camping - Page 2 Empty Re: What to cook when away camping

Post  pheasant plucker Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:38 pm

9CT wrote:My favourite when living rough would have to be oysters Kilpatrick followed by pheasant under cast-iron accompanied by a good Merlot savoured from an enamel mug.
9ct
 Q20

Did someone say pheasant? Would you like your pheasant plucked sire?  V20 

pheasant plucker
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post  determined1 Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:20 am

Did think I was on my own until Narrawa posted. I do envy you folk who do it properly though.

Breakfast      Bread rolls with vegemite or jam after day three substitute Saladas for bread.

Lunch           Beef Jerky or Muesli Bars

Dinner           SPC Baked Beans (sometimes product like Narrawa for a change) and for a special treat, tinned fruit.

All cooking is at the discretion of the sunshine. Cutlery, one knife and one spoon.

On the seventh day back to town for Egg and Bacon breakfast, salad lunch and steak and vegies for dinner then back to the beginning.  V32

determined1
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2013-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:30 am

Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:54 am

Actually we make a large wad of mash potato, mound it up into the shape of a volcano, and pour the contents x2 of that tin over it.  cheers 

Here's another quick bash we enjoy on those cold nights when no one is interested in cooking a big feed.

Serving for two...

Boil enough water to cope with 4x pk of 2min noodles...get them into a pot.  DO NOT USE SACHET.
While thats happening, toss a wad of diced bacon pieces into frying pan and cook. When browned, turn temp down and strain the noodles off, toss them into the pan with bacon bits and mix, crack 4x eggs into the pan and grated cheese. Mix contents before egg sets, make into large round shape and turn over after 5min... or lift and check for slight browning then flip. Cut in half and serve.

That'll put lead in ya pencil. Laughing
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  G.B. Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:18 am

Cadell Trading and Aldi stock Long Life Lamb Shanks in Red Wine Sauce or Mint Jelly 3 mth shelf life far longer if kept in fridge or esky, place packet in boiling water 15 mins cut open pour onto plate, baked spuds or mash peas and carrots go well with the shanks

then use the boiled water for dishes
G.B.
G.B.
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1268
Registration date : 2012-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:28 am

Great thread. I'll be using my trusty pressure cooker, it's efficient and versatile.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:53 am

Hi all
GB I will be checking out the aldi store for some of those
Long Life Lamb Shanks in Red Wine Sauce or Mint Jelly  Q40 

Determined1
Nothing wrong with an easy meal now and again

Narrawa I was wondering when you would mention the spuds Laughing 
Sounds like a very filling meal indeed!
We tried that other recipe, last year, it kind of flopped for me.. I think I must have
Forgotten something..

Thanks for the links Nightjar, it's always good to re-read the old posts
Some great cooking ideas there as well.
You put up some great ones.. One like Shiraz mentioned, and a damper.. Yummy..

Hey Waveform.. What do you make in your pressure cooker??

Aldi have a bread machine for $69.99 coming out tomorrow if any one is interested
https://www.aldi.com.au/en/special-buys/wednesday-2-april-2014/wednesday-detail-wk14/ps/p/bread-maker-1/?pk_campaign=au_product_newsletter&pk_kwd=2014-03-28_12-38

Thanks heaps everyone.

Q12  CALLING FOR ALL YOU GIRLS OUT THERE.  Q12 
are we going to let the men out number us  lol!  (no offence to all you guys, your all great  Q19 )
Surely there are some of you with great recipe ideas for when out camping in the bush.. Q10
Pleasssseeee T26

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:15 pm

Hi Jen,

I mostly make nice stews with steak and beans and those soup mixes that have the dries split peas, barley, lentils and beans. Just add some spices and veggies. I have recently bought a pressure cooker recipe book from rays. It has 200 recipes, so I should find some good ideas. I have done chicken based meals but they are especially good at turning touch cuts of meat into very tender meals in a short time. Without using the lid sealed they are simply a normal pot. I think the pressure cookers are a lot like slow cookers yet much quicker.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:19 pm

Very interesting Wavform. Thanks for your reply. cheers 
Gunna go research the pressure cooker now  Wink 

Back to top Go down

Post  Detrackozi Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:07 pm

Just can't beat an open fire, By this time next week this is what my breakfast and main meals will be looking like if only you could smell it on the form  Very Happy 

What to cook when away camping - Page 2 DavidL
What to cook when away camping - Page 2 BobSalmenLunch
What to cook when away camping - Page 2 Dsc00043
Detrackozi
Detrackozi
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1098
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:56 pm

Yummy!!! I can smell it!!! I can smell it!!!
I am hungry now..

Hang on.  scratch 
Nah can't smell it.. I just have a good imagination  Q34 
It still looks yummy  Q32 

I can't wait to be able to cook on a open camp fire!

Back to top Go down

Post  Redfin Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:11 pm

And this is what happens when Mrs Redfin opens a bottle of red, and a book, whilst cooking [rarely but I rub it in]

What to cook when away camping - Page 2 F1610
Redfin
Redfin
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 679
Registration date : 2013-02-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:40 pm

Redfin wrote:And this is what happens when Mrs Redfin opens a bottle of red, and a book, whilst cooking [rarely but I rub it in]

What to cook when away camping - Page 2 F1610

Never mind Redfin look on the brighter side least you could use the charcoal to draw a map of were you found your last nugget.

9ct
 Q20

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:41 pm

Hmmm
It looks a bit sorry for itself hey?   V01 

Not very appealing Mrs Redfin..  V07 
But I am sure you more than made up for it.
Bet you cook up a mean meal  V06 
Followed with some great sweets!

Now  V54 Redfin  T02  show us what you and mrs Redfin can really do. lol!   lol! 

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:08 am

Well I went and had a look the aldi bread cooker
Guess what?
I brought one, they make all three size breads.
Use 890 watts power, so the 20i genny has no trouble, even with everything
Else running.

First loaf made in new machine
Sorry about picture, taken in very low light..

What to cook when away camping - Page 2 2r47n88

It was very nice..
What to cook when away camping - Page 2 2ladnif

Back to top Go down

What to cook when away camping - Page 2 Empty camp food

Post  Aussie Jason Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:58 am

mmm, canned sausages.These sausages are fantastic with a piece of thawed out bread and a squeeze of sauce. (They only take 5 min to cook)
Peanuts, (almonds and walnuts) are great too. Or roast some chest nuts.
We always stop at Kalgoorlie for a couple a dozen fresh oysters, before heading north.
Grab a pizza from goorlie also, let it cool stick it in a tupperware container, put it on ice, re-heat later in the day or the next day or the next day.
 afro

Last edited by Aussie Jason on Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

Aussie Jason
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2013-06-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Burnt Out Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:32 am

Plenty of road Kill  Very Happy 
Ok, ok more serious thought  Shocked
 For snacks you can stock up on flavoured tuna in the 95grm tins and dry crackers, bags of nuts and dried fruits make good snacks as well.
I wonder how many little townships on the way over hold markets, you might be able to source locally grown food for cheaper then the supermarkets sell it, just a thought.  T10

But you can't go wrong with roo steaks, heaps of protein and iron  Very Happy V49 
Burnt Out
Burnt Out
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2012-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:25 am

Hi Jen, nice first loaf there. Fresh bread would be great on the road. How long to bake and how long would be gen need at the higher watts. I plan on using a small one kV generator to save fuel costs.

Back to top Go down

Post  Rege-PA Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:20 pm

Detrackozi, I have a big nose and I can smell bacon for miles.Very Happy  Don`t be surprised if you have an uninvited guest over for breakfast :face:Looks scrumptious, over easy on the eggs, bacon looks just right.

Rege-PA
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2011-05-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:44 pm

Waveform wrote:Hi Jen, nice first loaf there. Fresh bread would be great on the road.  How long to bake and how long would be gen need at the higher watts. I plan on using a small one kV generator to save fuel costs.

Going by any of the bread recipes in the booklet
The longest it takes to bake is 3:40
If you just want to do a small basic
750g loaf 3:23
1000g loaf 3:26
1250g loaf 3:30
That's hours & minutes
We have a 20i genny 2kva
Every now and again the genny would sightly rev, once the actual baking started
It did about the same.. But more often, that side of it took about 2&half hours.. ( I didn't really time it )
As I said we had other things running
For instance
T.v set top box for satilite dish, lights, a smart charger in caravan, and one in back of car. Two small fridges
Also charging small things like phones
You know the usuall stuff, any way not to sure about your genny, you will have to see what others say, who are much more smarter than me    bounce 
I mean what does the 1 kva hold at.
But you can get smaller bread machines.

Last edited by Jen58 on Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  flyspecks Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:25 pm

whats all the fuss about jen, a cup of two minute noodles, just add boiling water and its a feast.....then throw away the noodles and get stuck into that stack of bottles  Q35 Q35 
flyspecks
flyspecks
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 988
Registration date : 2011-05-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:53 pm

flyspecks wrote:whats all the fuss about jen, a cup of two minute noodles, just add boiling water and its a feast.....then throw away the noodles and get stuck into that stack of bottles  Q35 Q35 

Cheeky  Q25 

Nothing wrong with two minute noodles, (just can't eat it every night)
you mean to say you chuck the noodles away then just drink the soup?  affraid 

T10  stack of bottles hey???
You must love a liquid diet  V07 

Back to top Go down

Post  Minermike Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:20 pm

Mix mashed potato with mashed pumpkin. To this add a good amount of fried onion and mix in. The onion gives some taste to the other veg. On the BBQ or fire cook a medium sized T - bone steak slowly, to keep it juicy. Add salt, pepper and garlic to the meat. Keep away from big t-bones, the beast might have died of old age....
Wash down with a cold beer or two.

Eat beetroot, canned or fresh. They have good anti-cancer agents. Look it up .
Minermike
Minermike
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1595
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:16 pm

Now minermike that's a nice simple recipe idea

I can smell the t-bone cooking already. Laughing 
Onion frying away, oh mashed spuds and pumpkin, yummy!!

Washed down with a  Q11 
In my case water  Laughing 

THANKYOU  V09

Back to top Go down

What to cook when away camping - Page 2 Empty play the Pop Corn pooper scooper game

Post  Aussie Jason Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:44 am

Grab a saucepan add a little oil, place it in the center of the fire. Add some Pop Corn, grab your pooper scooper, sit back in your favorite chair and wait for the action to start. (the kids love it)
 afro 

Aussie Jason
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2013-06-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:04 am

Aussie Jason wrote:Grab a saucepan add a little oil, place it in the center of the fire. Add some Pop Corn, grab your pooper scooper, sit back in your favorite chair and wait for the action to start. (the kids love it)
 afro 

Great idea Jason! but I think I will pass on using a POOPER scooper to scoop up the popcorn  Q24 

Yep burnt out that's an idea with the dry foods..
Where we plan to go there aren't any markets that I know of.. Laughing 

Back to top Go down

Post  CostasDee Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:28 am

Best all round tucker, can be eaten for breakfast, lunch, dinner or as a snack throughout the day, can be used in a sandwich or fried up with some eggs, can be eaten on it's own or to complement other foods, has a long shelf life and doesn't need to be refrigerated until opened and even then it isn't too fussy, the list goes on and is endless, care of our good friends the SPIGS, is the humble can of SPAM. Possibly the best all rounder food in the whole WORLD. Never leave home without a few cans in the boot, they may save your life one day.  V43
CostasDee
CostasDee
Management

Number of posts : 3971
Registration date : 2010-11-23

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:43 am

CostasDee wrote:Best all round tucker, can be eaten for breakfast, lunch, dinner or as a snack throughout the day, can be used in a sandwich or fried up with some eggs, can be eaten on it's own or to complement other foods, has a long shelf life and doesn't need to be refrigerated until opened and even then it isn't too fussy, the list goes on and is endless, care of our good friends the SPIGS, is the humble can of SPAM. Possibly the best all rounder food in the whole WORLD. Never leave home without a few cans in the boot, they may save your life one day.  V43

MMMMM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8huXkSaL7o&feature=player_detailpage
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next