Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ararat area advice

3 posters

Go down

Ararat area advice Empty Ararat area advice

Post  adelaideboy Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:21 am

Hi there,

I'm new to the forum although I have done some prospecting some 15 years ago and then took a hiatus due to work commitments. I'm now looking to get back into it with the family and make the occasional trip from SA to Vic. I'd like to start with the Ararat area given it is so close to Stawell which is a town I like and occasionally fish Lake Fyans. I'd be grateful for any advice about either free camping sites or caravan parks around Ararat which are close to the goldfields and safe and quiet area to camp/stay for a few days. I have a Doug Stone Gold & relics map and a handheld GPS so I plan to slowly work my way through accessible areas. I don't have a pi detector just an At Gold so it wont be a professional exercise more just enjoyment with the family, fresh air and hopefully a small nugget or two to keep us coming back.

Any ideas/advice would be very much appreciated. I did use the search facility but couldn't find much on Ararat more on Maryborough and other areas. I'm happy to receive PMs .

Thanks, Bill.

adelaideboy
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2014-01-05

Back to top Go down

Ararat area advice Empty Re: Ararat area advice

Post  getascripter Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:05 pm

G'day Bill. Kate here from down south of Strathalbyn. I usually head over the border to do my hunting but can't get over again for another couple of weeks. I usually hit the general area of Bendigo and surrounds, or go further up to Rushworth and surrounds. Don't know too much about Ararat, but I seem to remember reading that it's mainly deep lead. (but don't take my word on that!  lol! )

Do a search here https://golddetecting.forumotion.net/f16-vic-goldfields and you should be able to find SOME information on the area.
getascripter
getascripter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1900
Registration date : 2012-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post  adelaideboy Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:18 pm

Hi Kate. Thanks for the heads up. I'll do a bit more searching online and keep in mind the Bendigo surrounds.

Cheers Cool 

adelaideboy
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  adelaideboy Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:53 pm

Hi guys. Does anyone have anything to report on campsites/caravan parks near Ararat?

Cheers, Bill

adelaideboy
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:15 pm

G'day adelaideboy,

I just did a google and found this one hope it helps.

http://www.goseeaustralia.com.au/caravan_park/vic/ararat/702/pyrenees_caravan_park/accommodation/

Cheers.

Mike.       cheers

Back to top Go down

Ararat area advice Empty Re camping

Post  Guest Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:46 pm

Try green hill lake ..it's not far out of town.i think it's only a small fee to stay there.i went for a weekend to stay with friends and fish it ( crap fishing)too shallow,but camping wise it was reasonable.toilets showers etc,enter camping Ararat into search n check out website.hope it helps

Back to top Go down

Post  adelaideboy Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:56 am

Thanks mike54 and cougarcans. Green Hill Lake sounds good might give it a go. Cheers

adelaideboy
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  spinna Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:15 pm

Hi Adelaideboy

As cougarcans said, Green Hill Lake is a nice spot.
Just a tip, when you get to the first camp area, continue on to the second camp site.
It's a nicer area, but don't tell anyone, it's a secret. Wink 

spinna

spinna
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Back to top Go down