Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First outing TDI PRO

2 posters

Go down

First outing TDI PRO Empty First outing TDI PRO

Post  abundy62 Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:04 am

Hi All,
The Tdi arrived, i set it up watched the video's and headed into the back yard for a practice run or two. I decided to head to a creek i fish for bass in. Its always looked a likely spot for a prospect. After swinging for four hours and digging about thirty holes, i had in total found ... five rusty nails, a couple of bits of wire, three lead sinkers , thirty one cents in change and a cutlery fork. Not bad for my first go, strangely not disappointing at all. I didn't realize how much energy is needed to dig so many little holes. Man it was hot. The detector does get a little heavy after an hour or so. You can mount the Tdi unit on your belt , chest brace, or use a bungy cord. I have a couple of questions about the use of the bungy.
Does anyone use one?
What kind?
Do they work?

I just cant wait to find that little bit of colour, it will come its only a matter of time.

Cheers
abundy62

abundy62
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2012-11-19

Back to top Go down

First outing TDI PRO Empty Re: First outing TDI PRO

Post  outwest Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:48 am

Gday Abundy
I have a tdi oz pro and have been out a few times and like youself have had no trouble finding less desirable stuff but as yet no gold.
Took a drive up to Dunnolly this week and spoke to the the dealer he told me if you can detect bullet shells then you should detect gold as well.Also told me to dig all targets no matter how faint.Dropped in at coiltec in Maryborough as well the guy told me he thought the machine would be as good as a minelab 2200 maybe even better on small stuff but would not get the same depth as a 2200 like the guy at whites also told me to dig all targets so ill be doing that.
Best of luck with it mate.

outwest
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2012-10-28

Back to top Go down

Post  abundy62 Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:10 am

Hi outwest
That seems to be general opinion to dig all targets. Being a newbie not knowing to discriminate i will be digging all. Hate to miss something. I thought i was on to a good thing yesterday in this little creek on our farm at Gympie. Dug for half an hour, i was so sure it was the real deal, so sure. Turned out to be a bit of barbed wire 100mm long. Dang. I'll just try and try again. The odds have got to be getting shorter. Best of luck outwest.

Cheers
abundy

abundy62
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2012-11-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:50 am

Gday

One thing to remember irrelevant of what detector you are using is that more often than not the target response from a gold nugget will be vague and has a similar signal to that of lead, lead is often used for test targets and you can do this by burying lead sinkers in a clean piece of ground, at various levels and listening to them with the detector.

If you bury a lead target at a depth that makes it just detectable by your machine and then bury a ferrous target of similar size at the same depth a couple of feet away from it you will soon realise that the ferrous target will produce a far more obvious signal response than the non ferrous lead one.

Re bury the lead target at different depths and test swing over it so that you can learn to recognise the vague and iffy type responses that you will get from it, this is something you need to learn to recognise as very many of the signals you will get are in this range and can be easily missed, sometimes they will be no more than a change or waver in the detectors threshold.

Good sized nuggets or ones closer to the surface, can produce very good signals as well so therefore thats why its the rule of thumb is to dig every signal, and as I said previously as deeply buried gold might not produce more than a waver in the threshold its equally important to dig down far enough to identify what the object is, as you can never be 100% sure of what the target is until you have it out of the ground.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down