Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Headphones advice

+2
Kon61gold
Castlemaine
6 posters

Go down

Headphones advice  Empty Headphones advice

Post  Castlemaine Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:57 pm

Hello every one, My name is Pete.
I’m new to the group and first time posting.
Just a question if can please
Recently purchased a GPZ, the headphones that came with the detecter are not the best, needing advice on headphones or steel phase set up.
I would prefer cordless headphones.

Thanks
Pete

Castlemaine
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2020-07-12

Back to top Go down

Headphones advice  Empty Re: Headphones advice

Post  Kon61gold Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:28 pm

G'day Pete, welcome to the forum.

One would think the headset that comes standard with a $10,000 detector would be just as important quality of sound/comfort wise, as the detector itself? Shame that Minelab didn't think so.
Anyways, I can't help you with wireless, but if you can't find what you are after in wireless, my personal preference of standard wired headphones & the headphones that I currently use, are the "Sennheiser HD 598" or the more newer HD 599 (almost identical in looks). They simply tick all the boxes, of a much lighter in weight set of headphones, offering comfort plus on the ears, with a sound quality/clarity, just about second to none.
I know they're not on the cheap side, but well worthy of the GPZ 7000.

Cheers Kon. T25

Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4514
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Castlemaine likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Castlemaine Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:50 pm

Hello there Kon, and thanks for welcoming me to the forum.
The headsets that came with Z are not very comfortable to use I found.
That’s great I will look up the Sennheiser headphones, I don’t mind paying for a good set well worth it.
Just one other question mate if you don’t mind, is the headphones totally fine straight into the detecter as they are ?
Or is it advisable to have the steel phase booster set up?

Thanks for your help Kon

Castlemaine
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Axtyr Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:02 am

Castlemaine.

Welcome to the forum.

You should have a wireless module. You can plug the headphones directly into the detector but then you will have the cable getting caught on the shrubbery around you when you dig a signal. Disconnection from the detector is what the 7000 is all about.

I bought a set of Sennheisser and they are excellent. You can plug them into the detector, straight into the wireless module, or connect via whatever booster you have.
The headphone cables are too long unless plugged into the detector.

My setup is:

I don't use the Minelab harness that came with the detector, I use a 3 litre Camelbak hydration pack that has a strap across my chest. To this strap I hang the wireless module. I wound up the cable of the headphones so that they are long enough to reach the wireless module. After winding up the headphones cable to suit I then wrapped that with plastic THEN taped it all up. This is to keep the tape from leaving sticky residue on the cable if you want to use the headphones for something else later on. It is very annoying.

I also use a booster and the only difference is that the booster hangs on the left hand side of the Camelbak strap and the wireless module hangs on the right. The headphones then plug into the booster and the booster connects to the wireless module. No cables connect to the detector.

One of the first things I did when I got my detector was get a 6mm microphone/headphone jack and stick it into the headphone socket in the detector. This stops any dirt from getting into the detector socket. You can get these from Jaycar or other electronics supply stores. The jack can be either mono or stereo, it makes no difference. If the jack is a 6mm to 3.5mm adaptor then cover the exposed adaptor hole with silicon to keep dirt and moisture from getting inside.

The B&Z booster I have doesn't work with headphones, I have to use the speakers with it.

I hope this is a help and just let me know if you want any more information. I am sure you will get plenty of help from the members.

Regards Axtyr.

Axtyr
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 847
Registration date : 2014-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post  mbasko Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:47 am

For the GPZ there are no cordless options unless you go away from using the GPZ wireless module by using either Bluetooth sender + headphones or another proprietary system like Quest wireless. This can introduce more trial & error + varying opinion on what works well.
IMO stick to the supplied GPZ wireless module & use good wired headphones from the receiver.

Sennheiser HD280 Pro headphones are great detecting headphones & can now be picked up reasonably cheap https://www.turramusic.com.au/sennheiser-hd280-pro?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6uPu-b3L6gIVQSQrCh2vWACTEAUYBSABEgI9iPD_BwE
Being studio headphones they have good sound, are very comfortable & have good noise attenuation.
They are pretty durable too. I've used them for years with no major issues with durability.

I've also been using a set of Fostex TR-80 250ohm headphones but only for a short time.
https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/products/fostex-tr-80-professsional-closed-headphones?variant=28770704515
Some of these types of headphones can feel like a bit of a "squeeze" on the head. Initially I thought they actually felt a bit loose rather than tight but they don't seem to slip or move so all good so far. The sound is very good & they are pretty comfortable (probably not as comfortable as the Sennheiser but no issues 6hrs last day used). Too early to comment on durability but they do appear sturdy enough. At this stage I'd say they are a pretty good low cost option (if picked up under ~$200) if you're after higher ohm headphones.
Higher ohm detecting headphones can sell for $250 plus & are usually repurposed earmuffs or aviation headphones that aren't overly comfortable.

All that said headphones can be a very personal choice especially in regards to comfort so where possible always best to try them on first.

mbasko
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2017-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:05 am

G'day Pete

Both Axtyr & mbasko have summed it up perfectly. The Sennheiser headphones do plug straight into the detector, but you might find it a little inconvenient using the detector/headphones that way. I use mine with the SteelPhase SP01 audio signal enhancer, attached to my belt, then plugged straight into the WM12 wireless audio module, attached to my Camelback strap on the chest, which work together as a brilliant combination.
I must also state that regardless of which headphones you choose to use, stay within the headphone impedance (Ohm range) of between 32 to 120 Ohm, for anything higher or lower impedance wise, becomes either dumbed down signal response, or headphone sound distortion.

Cheers Kon. T25
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Jin and Castlemaine like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Castlemaine Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:56 pm

Thank you very much gents I very much appreciated your kind help. I’m new to prospecting and I’m enjoying all the info/ experience people have to share Im learning all the time .
I will try the Sennheiser headphones On for comfort
I might even look into getting the steel phase set up as well.
I just want give myself the best opportunity out on the fields

Thanks
Pete

Castlemaine
New Poster
New Poster

mbasko likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  mbasko Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:14 pm

Kon61gold wrote:
I must also state that regardless of which headphones you choose to use, stay within the headphone impedance (Ohm range) of between 32 to 120 Ohm, for anything higher or lower impedance wise, becomes either dumbed down signal response, or headphone sound distortion.

Cheers Kon. T25
Not wanting to be picky Kon but that's not entirely true.
Minelab audio circuits in general will drive headphones of between 16 & 100+ ohms. Minelab purposely leave the higher value open ended & up to the users personal choice but they do state that Minelab wireless modules (like the WM12 & Pro Sonic) will drive headphones of between 16 & 600 ohms. Easy enough to Google up Minelab statements on this.

The 250ohm headphones I'm using now neither have any dumbed down audio or sound distortion. In fact they're clear & crisp as you'd expect from quality phones. So are my 64ohm Seinnheiser headphones & my 16ohm JBL Endurance Run earphones I use in summer. Quality & individual comfort are the biggest things to consider.
There are numerous high ohm headphones that are specifically designed to be used with detectors i.e. 150ohm Grey Ghosts, GoGS, Nugget Buster, Black Widow, Sunray Pro - 300ohm Steelphase Pros, SS300's.
Many detectorists (& audiophiles) actually recommend higher ohm headphones as the sound is considered to be crisper with little or no distortion/sound quality loss.

Any dumbed down signal response or sound distortion will be due to inferior quality headphones/earphones. Minelab audio circuits will handle a very wide range of ohms well & quality gear will deliver good audio.

mbasko
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:04 pm

Not that you cant go higher or lower in impedance wise on headphones mbasko, but if the manufacturers of such headphones specifically state designed for use on the GPZ 7000, then who am I to dispute it? Its only what I have found out through numerous headphone tests in the past when used on the GPX 5000/GPZ 7000.  A while back, I tested a mate's Sennheiser HD 600 (300 Ohm) which the sales rep convinced him to buy for his intended use on the 7000 only to be greatly disappointing in both clarity of signal response/sound (& no where near the sound clarity of the 50 Ohm Sennheiser 598/599), when used on the 5000 as well as the 7000 & I can tell you there was no change from the $550 he were asked to pay for them. On digital stereo/songs etc, brilliant, but not so good sound response, on the detectors mentioned above.
Mind you, If you are getting a loud clear quality signal/sound response from a 250 Ohm quality pair of headphones you currently use on the 7000, by all means I couldn't be happier for you, but do tell us the make/brand, for they just might be an alternative to what I'v used in the past, outside the impedance ranges I mentioned above. The retail sellers of headphones can state what they want, but the only way to compare the detector output signal response through the headphones mentioned above, is to try each brand of headphone set individually on the 7000 & compare them with one another, as to which best suits the individual/GPZ 7000 (for they can't all be same in way of signal response/clarity), but the more options we have out there, the better.

Cheers Kon. T25
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  mbasko Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:58 am

Studio or any quality headphones will have no problem handling any output signals from Minelab detectors which have a frequency output range of only around 75 -1200Hz.
The standard frequency response range for most headphones is 20 to 20,000Hz so Minelab detector audio frequency output easily fits into that. Some studio headphones range from 8 to 25,000Hz.
In fact headphones that perform well in the low frequencies would be ideal.
Some of the high ohm headphones made specifically for detecting are also designed with a much tighter frequency response range to suit the lower frequency output range of popular detectors. Comfort wise I've never found a set of these I liked but then I haven't tried them all out either.
As you can see in my posts above & from my current selection used I'm not rigid on using high ohm headphones at all - some are but I'm not. Higher ohm headphones will take more power to drive than lower ohm headphones so yes lower ohm can sound louder at the same volume settings but better clarity vs loudness might be debatable by some high ohm purists?
Some high ohm headphones may require adjustment to the detector volume settings or may need an amp/booster/enhancer to drive? I know some high end, high ohm studio headphones do require an amp to drive them but not all do. The 250ohm Fostex TR-80's I have don't.
Any of the headphones or earphones I've mentioned in my posts above will work with Minelab detectors.
I too have tested & trialled numerous audio options & wireless equipment set ups on various detectors including SD/GP/GPX series detectors, GPZ, SDC & the QED.
My pick for great all round headphones, being reasonably priced for Minelab detectors would be the Sennheiser HD280 Pros. They have worked well for me with GPX, SDC & GPZ. They are only 64ohm, sound great & for me are very comfortable.
I've said it before & I'll say it again - good quality (consider build, speakers/wiring, noise attenuation, sensitivity) & personal comfort are the biggest things to consider.

mbasko
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

moredeep and Castlemaine like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:53 pm

mbasko, that is one good knowledgeable write up of information, which is much appreciated. Now Castlemaine as well as other members on here, have more than enough info, in order to make a good conscious decision, of what would suit them best. cheers

Cheers Kon. T25
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  Castlemaine Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:10 am

Hello again gents, I have totally relied on what you have all recommend suggested on what it a good option set of head pones
For me to purchase.
The sennheiser HD 280 pros look great, I’m just on my way to try a pair on.

Everyone help has been fantastic
Thanks
Pete

Castlemaine
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dozer Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:16 pm

Headphones are a very personal choice like everything else to do with detecting. What works for someone else may not work as well for you. Don't rush into getting anything specific until you have tried as many different setups as you can.
mbasko gave the frequency output of what a typical Minelab detector can range from. HERE is a link to an online tone generator that could be interesting to play with. Try different frequencies with different tones and see what a difference that can make.

For the record I use a set of GOG phones as well as a couple of homemade sets. All of my headphones are based on industrial ear muffs with various drivers in them. I use these type of headphones because my hearing is not what it used to be and industrial strength ear muffs remove a lot of the background noise and allow me to concentrate on what I am hearing. Yes they are tight fitting and can cause sweating and all the other drawbacks that are associated with phones like these, but as I stated, they allow me to concentrate and I believe that gives me an advantage.

The other important thing to consider is the cable that connects to the phones. Weak and flimsy, heavy and strong or somewhere in between, each will have its own benefits and peculiarities. Find a set of phones that you feel good about and then learn to listen to what the detector and "your" phones are telling you. If you aren't finding much don't rush off to the next great thing in phones etc. Stick with what you have and keep learning what they are telling you. Doubting your gear is soul destroying. You must believe that your gear will work every time you use it.

Gary Player is often credited with the quote "The more I practice the luckier I get". Whether he said it or not doesn't matter, the quote itself is what being successful at detecting is all about. The best gear in the world won't find much gold until you do a lot of practicing with it.

I could close with good luck, but after that I will close with
Happy practicing.

Dozer
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2012-11-28

mbasko and Castlemaine like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Castlemaine Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:49 am

Hi there Dozer,
Thanks for your message mate, i guess the important thing is comfort and Quality. Its very important and so many to choose from that’s the part I was unsure about like brands and different types.
I did try some headphones on yesterday however they didn’t have the ones I wanted to try on. Everyone has given me some great advise and suggestions which I really appreciate. like you said take my time and try a few different headphones on. I found a lot of the shops I rang to inquire about headphones said they had the best headphones.
I sound like a stuck record but I truly thank you all for you kind help.
The Online Tone Generator is a beauty I had a go on it last night.
Thanks Gents
Pete

Castlemaine
New Poster
New Poster

mbasko likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Axtyr Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:49 am

Good morning Castlemaine.

Google the following: Difference between open and closed headphones.

My ones are OPEN headphones. This means they are not enclosed like ear muffs and I get a lot of outside noise coming through. No one can sneak up on you either. You will still hear the coil scraping on the ground and the wind but the signal is still right there in your ears.

Dozer uses CLOSED ones. The ear muff style. It blocks out a lot of outside noise. It also means when someone taps you on the shoulder when out detecting you soil your underwear, LOL.

Open or closed headphones will be another spec you will need to consider. I have used ear muff style phones many years ago and found them so uncomfortable with them pushing down on my ears that I siliconed 1 or 2 extra layers of muffs that I took off cheap ear muffs. This stopped the phones from pressing on my ears and made a huge difference.

Good luck with your choice.

Regards Axtyr.

Axtyr
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Castlemaine Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:14 pm

Hello all, the HD 280 pros I went with they were great headphones very comfortable I really appreciate everyone’s help and advice.
well I found my first bit of gold with Z
A 4.3 g at 30 cm with its little mate at 0.7 g
The first sweep over the gold I couldn’t believe it I haven’t herd that sound before, it was unmistakable a very smooth pure tone.
I’m very happy to have been fortunate enough to find some gold.

Castlemaine
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Castlemaine Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:23 pm

Headphones advice  103b1b10

Castlemaine
New Poster
New Poster

soldier of fortune likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Kon61gold Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:53 pm

Bravo, nice piece of gold, well done to you Castlemaine. cheers

Cheers Kon. T25
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Back to top Go down

Post  Axtyr Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:55 am

G'day Castlemaine.

Excellent piece of gold there, well done.

Regards Axtyr.

Axtyr
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  soldier of fortune Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:14 pm

The shape looks like a buddah.Well done on your find.

soldier of fortune
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2020-05-17

Back to top Go down