Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

can u make an external speaker?

+2
Ayounomad
artrix
6 posters

Go down

can u make an external speaker? Empty can u make an external speaker?

Post  artrix Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:16 pm

Hi got a mate that is a wizz with electronics and he is about to be volunteered to make me up an external speaker for my gpx 4500..... I realize you can buy them but Im not sure I want one as I have grown used to the head phones. But I would like to try an external speaker and my mate seems to be able to make almost anything , so has anyone done this before themselves and if so whats involved? no doubt the bought one is designed for the job and I have no doubt if I like the setup I will buy a proper speaker. Any advice?

artrix
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 442
Registration date : 2009-12-16

Back to top Go down

can u make an external speaker? Empty Re: can u make an external speaker?

Post  Ayounomad Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:33 pm

Gday Artrix ,I suggest you buy one ...They are cheap ...Making a speaker without pre-manufactured parts would probably not be as convenient as the store bought one...Connecting a plug and lead to an 8ohm/2to3 watt speaker will work ..Remember , stereo plug wired correctly for minelab battery or signal enhancer will be req'd.{ see JP's video and it explains it all }.The speakers are generic and not specifically made for minelab detectors as far as i know.{ apart from plug wiring - stereo jack on mono speaker with main connection to tip of jack and the shield to the next connection on the stereo plug}.Just get one with the correct impedance and plug size/type...Any detecting store will see you right ..cheers , Paul....
Ayounomad
Ayounomad
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 164
Registration date : 2008-12-21

Back to top Go down

Post  artrix Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:48 pm

cheers paul, i suspect i may have got the wrong end of some price info,,i thought you would be looking at over $100 for a speaker?

artrix
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

can u make an external speaker? Empty headphones

Post  buck06 Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:58 pm

made my external speeker for 20 bucks cheep as twin speakers $30 any dick smith etc
buck06
buck06
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2009-01-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Tributer Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:44 pm

Hi artix. Just go and buy a UHF radio speaker from Jaycar or Dick smith. There are 2 types, one is about 2 inch square the other is flatter. They give good sound and cost about $29 or $37.

Buy a couple "wire up yourself" stereo plugs from the same shops $2.50 each and some good insulated twin speaker wire. (right angled plugs are good for wear and tear when detecting but harder to buy in shops. They were available online through dick smith a couple years ago.

Solder on the wires as per JP's video could be pictures posted somewhere on the forum?

Don't muck around with cardboard/paper speakers, if you do not buy radio speaker buy little Mylar speakers.

Your mate could add a volume pot and an on off switch if you want to get fancy.

Tributer
Tributer
Tributer
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1006
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:49 pm

Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Post  pilot400 Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:39 pm

Artrix,
I use a Nokia car kit speaker HFS 12 great little solid speaker with good sound 75mm x 65mm x 45mm comes with bracket that feeds through loop in harness won't fall off, just need to wire up the plug correctly or plug straight into enhancer with 3.5mm jack.
There's some on ebay $15 inc postage

pilot400
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2009-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post  artrix Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:14 pm

Thanx guys for all the feedback been away in Cairns for a few days and have not been able to reply.
cheers

artrix
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down