Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What headphones do you use

3 posters

Go down

What headphones do you use Empty What headphones do you use

Post  Travelergold Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:58 am

Just asking, do you use headphones, ear phones, plugs for detecting?
Why, what is there advantage, pro's and con's
Reason being that i have almost all the time used a speaker as the supplied koss head phones are uncomfortable and sweaty.
In windy conditions though with speakers, they are hard to hear the small signals.

Travelergold
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2017-04-24

Back to top Go down

What headphones do you use Empty Re: What headphones do you use

Post  Kon61gold Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:11 pm

G'day Travelergold

No external speaker can match that of a good pair of headphones pushing out top acoustics directly into ones ear.
I realised that many moons ago when I first tried on those heavy/bulky Koss UR 30 headphones on a 30 degree day & after removing them from my head 2/3 hours after detecting, I noticed instead of ears, I had a couple of what looked like steamed dim sims, with the only thing missing was the soy sauce.
I looked into "Sennheiser" & ended purchasing a pair of Sennheiser HD 598 & never looked back. They're a third the weight of the Koss UR 30s, stay on your head better, very comfortable to wear & as far as I'm concerned the 65 OHM impedance/crystal clear acoustics, are second to none. They're perfect for use on all SD/GPX/SDC/GPZ Minelab detectors.
It is the one thing that has annoyed/plagued every prospector since the introduction of the SD series detectors & one thing that Minelab, I believe, have gone cheap on, which to me is ridiculous, considering the price of our detectors, which rely specifically on signal sound response.
There are other types/brands/makes of headphones out there, but one must make sure that the impedance (OHMs) of headphones, match that of the detector out put frequency used. Head phones anywhere from 50 to 120 OHM's is a safe bet for most the detectors in use today. Any higher/lower in impedance, produces a dumbming down in headphone output sound, with the rest being distortion.

Cheers Kon. T25
Kon61gold
Kon61gold
Management

Number of posts : 4500
Registration date : 2008-10-16

https://golddetecting.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

What headphones do you use Empty Re: What headphones do you use

Post  koeh Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:57 pm

Black widow headphones,they also trigger the in built amp in the gpx batteries
koeh