Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Considering buying an 8" Minelab mono but need advice.

2 posters

Go down

Considering buying an 8" Minelab mono but need advice. Empty Considering buying an 8" Minelab mono but need advice.

Post  Ringpull Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:21 pm

I’ve been scratching around the gold fields for a while now and whilst I did find a nice 2.0 gram nugget recently, for the most part I’m only finding tiny little pieces. Today I dug up a ridiculously small pinhead size piece and got to thinking that maybe I should be concentrating on the small stuff for a while. I’m running a 5000 with the standard 11” mono and the signal that I got for that tiny piece was ever so faint that I fully expected it to be just mineralised ground noise. I kicked away the loose pebbles and then got a slightly stronger signal that I knew was gold. Sure enough it was down at about 2”. The ground noise has been quite benign (for a change).

Now my question is, could I expect a considerably more positive signal from a smaller coil, perhaps a Minelab 8” mono?

What are your thoughts? Would you recommend any other small coil, perhaps the Sadie?
Ringpull
Ringpull
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2011-12-26

Back to top Go down

Considering buying an 8" Minelab mono but need advice. Empty Re: Considering buying an 8" Minelab mono but need advice.

Post  Guest Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:31 pm

G'day Ringpull,

Yes the smaller coils will give you a better signal response on the smaller targets, but you May also get a lot more hot rocks as well. As the smaller coils are a lot more sensitive to ground minerals/hot rocks. Hope this helps you. T25

Cheers.

Mike.

Back to top Go down

Considering buying an 8" Minelab mono but need advice. Empty Re: Considering buying an 8" Minelab mono but need advice.

Post  joe82 Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:42 pm

hey mate, have you thought about the NF 12' evo ??? I have run on my 5000 for 2 or so years and as far as small gold deep goes they are wicked Very Happy

joe82
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1156
Registration date : 2013-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Ringpull Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:30 am

Thanks for your input guys, I'll probably settle for the Minelab 8" mono.
Ringpull
Ringpull
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2011-12-26

Back to top Go down