Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Buying a 14" mono

2 posters

Go down

Buying a 14" mono Empty Buying a 14" mono

Post  llanbric Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:08 pm

I run a gpx4000, 14x9 nf mono, 8" commander, I've decided a 14" round mono would be handy for depth.
On the web I've checked out coiltek, commander, and nf(no 14' round mono?), they all appear equal.

So what do people think, does one have the edge over the other. I am mainly working alluvial, with occasional visits to the golden triangle.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

llanbric
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 414
Registration date : 2008-11-17

Back to top Go down

Buying a 14" mono Empty Re: Buying a 14" mono

Post  nero_design Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:27 am

I think the 15x12" Semi-Elliptical Commander Mono-Coil would be closer to competing with the other coils than the 8" Commander (the 8" is going to be better suited to specialized locations and conditions). As for an edge over other coils, that's one of the reasons I selected the 15x12 (above) since the GPX's best strength is their ability to use Mono Coils to such great effect. If I were you, I'd be more inclined to look at the 17" NF Elliptical Mono-Coil rather than the 14" Round since you'd get more depth and little difference in sensitivity to smaller targets. Any reason why you'd specifically prefer a round coil? I know you said you mainly work Alluvial but all Gold is generally Alluvial... so does that mean you are looking for smaller bits in abandoned diggings or are you scouring old watercourses for hidden pockets of smaller Gold?

Anything in the 14" range+ (MONO), or a similar diameter, tends to give better depth than the stock 11" DD coil - which by itself is already a very capable coil for different target sizes at different depth. Of course, some insensitivity towards smaller nuggets might be observed with coils over 11".

Cheers'

Marco
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Buying a 14" mono Empty Re: Buying a 14" mono

Post  Guest Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:55 am

Gday

I picked up a used Coiltek 14"round mono coil to try on my 4500 and I found it to work very well, as I also have the nf 16" sl mono and 11" commander/ and 11" coiltek mono's I wanted to see if there was something in between that might be worthwhile, i found it very good depth wise and quite stable as well.

You can get one of these in used condition for about $100 to $150, where a new nf 14" is about $380 or something now.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down