Thinking of buying a mono coil

Go down

Thinking of buying a mono coil Empty Thinking of buying a mono coil

Post  shanea1 on Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:21 pm

I'm thinking of buy a Mono coil for my GP 3500 would it be alright in around ' avoca ' area (Hot ground)? I don't have a mono coil but I don't want to waste money on a coil if it doesn't work with my GP 3500.
(Nuggetfinder Elliptical 10" Mono Coil)

Shane

shanea1
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2009-05-27

Back to top Go down

Thinking of buying a mono coil Empty Re: Thinking of buying a mono coil

Post  Inhere on Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:15 pm

G'day shane,
In hot ground a small mono is noisier then a large mono, the 3500 handles mono's well in moderate ground but you will be a lot happier sticking to DD's in that area, in my opinion.
Inhere
Inhere
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 941
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:24 am

Hi Shane..
Yep I agree with Inhere.. that area is very noisey and for the 3500 u may be better off with a DD, however if u really want to get a mono coil I recommend the new 14X9 coiltek eliptical goldstalker or even the same in the N/F advantage... for a mono they are very quite.

Ray

Back to top Go down

Post  Beer Beeper on Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:37 am

G'day shane, In hot ground a small mono is noisier then a large mono....

That is true Inhere and it is the opposite of what a person would think, but a large mono is quieter than a small mono in hot ground.

Correct me if I am wrong, a small DD is quieter than a large DD. So the quietest coil of all is a small DD and the noisiest coil of all is a small mono.

Ray, would the new 14x9 monos be quieter than a new round 12" NF Advantage ?

Beer Beeper
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2008-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:56 am

Hey Beer beeper... how goes it.... to answer your question I really dont know... all I do know is my 14X9 coil is very quite when run in normal timings on my 4000 . A mate of mine runs one on his 3500 and the threashold is very good...

Ray

Back to top Go down

Post  Beer Beeper on Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:08 pm

raymondj wrote:Hey Beer beeper... how goes it.... to answer your question I really dont know... all I do know is my 14X9 coil is very quite when run in normal timings on my 4000 . A mate of mine runs one on his 3500 and the threashold is very good...Ray

Thanks Ray! I am fine but my finances have taken a real beating in my Mining stocks. Mines that were suppose to open were cancelled and had set backs. I put too many eggs in the Mining stock basket but my health is good.

Last edited by Beer Beeper on Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Beer Beeper
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:31 pm

Well ... I am sorry to hear that...the economy has hurt alot of people with their superannuation over here.... u should be out in that Alaskan (or was it British Columbia) summer finding enough of the good stuff to make it up....

Lesson well learnt for u ...diversify

Ray

Back to top Go down

Post  shanea1 on Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:21 pm

Thanks everyone for the reply , I think I will stay using my 11" DD minelab and my 14" Coiltek DD I just thought a small mono would be OK to use but if it's going to be noisy I stay with the DD's . I have been lucky with the 11" DD 6 little nuggets in 2. 1/2 months one day every weekend.

Thanks again

Shane

shanea1
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:47 pm

Gday Shane

I would have to say that the hottest small coil that I had for my 3500 was the standard 11"dd gp series coil that came with it, set on mono mode it was excellent, and the best thing was the descrimination works to some degree as well,which is some help when working junky ground.

The best dedicated mono coil I had was the Coiltek 11" round mono coil, really good depth and sensitivity but with monos the descrimination does not work, so you had to dig everything, but overall an excellent coil for that machine.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  Granite on Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:30 pm

Have to go with Shayne on this one. The Coiltek 11" mono is one of those classic coils that work so well you never want to change it. We used them on ever GP right through to the 4500 and they worked extremely well on all. We now use the Coiltek Goldstalker 14X9 mono on both our 4500s and couldn't be happier. But a 4500 isn't a 3500 go for the 11" it not only is extremely sensitive on small gold but has great depth on anything larger as well.

Cheers, Jim

Granite
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2008-11-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:15 am

You will find that the most stable of 11" monos would have to be the Commander coil, slightly heavier than the coiltek or Nugget finder coils but a fantastic coil.

Last edited by Jefgold on Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Unwarranted comment)

Back to top Go down

Post  shanea1 on Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:38 pm

Well I brought a Nugget finder EL 12" mono , Went out yesterday near advoca took me a little time to get use to the coil but I found 3 small nuggets , biggest one .8 gram .

The sound it gave is total different then a DD coil Thinking of buying a mono coil Icon_eek but once I new what I was hearing I started to find small gold. I found the 3 in one spot all one after another Thinking of buying a mono coil Icon_cheers . The ground was a bit wet I missed a couple in the mud (only small) Thinking of buying a mono coil Affraid but I will go back another day. I'm lucky because the place I go is private land a good friend of mine who doesn't Detect, he's not interested.

Shane

shanea1
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Beer Beeper on Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:38 pm

Shane, what is the exact width(and length) in inches of the new NF EL 12" Mono if you have a measuring tape please, is appreciated ??

I know it is somewhere half way between the 10x5 (really 9.5" x 5.5") Mono which I have and the 14x9 (really 13.75" x 8.75") Mono.

I know NF makes a new round 12" Mono Advantage coil too.

Enjoy your coil and if you are after the small stuff you have bought the proper coil for that application and success to you!

Beer Beeper
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  shanea1 on Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:01 pm

Beer Beeper wrote:Shane, what is the exact width(and length) in inches of the new NF EL 12" Mono if you have a measuring tape please, is appreciated ??

I know it is somewhere half way between the 10x5 (really 9.5" x 5.5") Mono which I have and the 14x9 (really 13.75" x 8.75") Mono.

I know NF makes a new round 12" Mono Advantage coil too.

Enjoy your coil and if you are after the small stuff you have bought the proper coil for that application and success to you!

Its 12" x 7" NF Advantage Mono I brought it from http://www.bendigogold.com.au.

Thinking of buying a mono coil NF-12EM

12” Elliptical Monoloop Super-Lite

The latest and greatest creation
from Nugget Finder is their new
NF-12EM. With its slender design,
this light weight coil will allow
prospectors to get into those hard
to reach spots where nuggets like to
hide. Ideal when working in thick
brush or around rocks and boulders.
The monoloop configuration offers
unmatched sensitivity towards tiny
nuggets, yet its slightly larger
size will offer better depth
penetration over traditional small
coils. This is an excellent choice
for detecting creekbeds, gullies or
exposed bedrock.

As with all Nugget Finder Coils, it
features: Fully Bonded Construction,
Litz Wire, Potted Windings, Epoxy
Reinforced Polyurethane Shaft
Mounts, Skid Plate, and a Full
1-Year Warranty. This coil is
Monoloop in configuration and
compatible with all Minelab GPX/GP/SD
metal detectors. Measures approx.
12” x 7”, and only weighs 1.2
pounds!

Shane

shanea1
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Beer Beeper on Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:59 am

Thank you!

You have the 7x12 and I have the NF 5x10 Mono. Mine will pick up a hotrock and mineralized black sand with my GP 3000. A small Mono is the worst possible coil for picking up mineralization BUT a small Mono is the best possible coil for picking up the very smallest sub-gram gold and at the deepest possible depth!!

CoilTek GoldStalker has the very smallest Mono being a round 6" Mono but has poor ground coverage.

The total opposite end of the scale and best coil for the worst mineralization is a 5x10 DD.

For high mineralized ground handling, I think it goes from (the worst)smallest Mono to the largest Mono to the largest DD to the smallest DD(to the best).

Everybody seems to rave about the 9x14 Mono as THE best all-around coil BUT your 7x12 Mono will pick up sub-gram very small gold deeper than a 9x14. BUT the 9x14 will go deeper on a larger nugget.

Beer Beeper
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar on Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:23 am

..............But the Minelab 11" Round Mono coupled to a GPX-4500 performs like no other coil in quiet or mineralised ground.
Do not want to enter debate on size and depth, there are too many equations....

Peter
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2288
Registration date : 2008-10-25

http://s4.zetaboards.com/Gold_Detecting/index/

Back to top Go down

Post  Beer Beeper on Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:36 pm

Thanks Peter, have you heard about or tried the new NF 12" Advantage Round Mono?

Wouldn't the Commander Minelab 12"x15" Mono be a better choice than the Minelab 11" Round Mono?

The new NF 11"x17" Advantage Mono is also a another good size to consider using to get more ground coverage with each swing.

Beer Beeper
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar on Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:56 pm

Hello Beeper,
Have not tried a 12" NF but do use the 16" SL/NF & 20" Advantage SL/NF mono's (both round). Excellent coils. Do not own an elliptical coil and can't ever foresee owning one. Have tried them along with DD coils and my personal choice rules them out.
However on recent trip trialled a borrowed Minelab 11" round mono and was amazed how quiet & sensitive it was picking up grammers & sub grammers on previously chained mineralised ground that I thought was dead.
Cheers
Peter
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Beer Beeper on Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:24 am

Thank you for your input Peter! Look at this in ground Coil Test done on a GPX4000 between the stock 11" DD, NF 16" Mono, Commander 18" Mono, and NF 20" DD XP coils in the UK. The results are interesting. It looks like the round 18"(or 20") size mono is the one to buy for best depth on both small and larger objects(and nuggets) from this test.

The test objects were:
1. Cut quarter Henry III penny (farthing) 0.2g.
2. Edward I penny 0.9g.
3. UK 5p coin 3.2g.
These were buried at increasing depths in a clay subsoil pasture,
the first 10” being topsoil with medium mineralisation.

Look down on the right side of this web page below: >

http://video.minivideos.co.uk/ja/minelabgpx4000fieldtest.pdf

I like the 24"x12" mono size, but for a second coil I would like to know if you do not mind helping me, does your round NF 20" Advantage mono sacrifice depth on small nuggets(gets poor depth on small nuggets of about 2 grams or so) ? Do you run your NF mono coils in DD Mode or Mono Mode ?

I am torn between between buying the round 16", 18", or 20" Advantage for use on wide open areas, and cannot make up my mind. I wonder if the 16" is hotter on the edges and will find small nuggets deeper than the 20" ?

Thanks again Peter, David!

Beer Beeper
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar on Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:47 pm

Hello David,
I have heard but never seen it proven that using the larger Mono's ie: 20" some sensitivity is lost re: small gold.
However I usually swing a 20" NF/SL Mono in Mono mode and have consistently found gold down to 0.1g in depths ranging from surface to 50mm depth. Yes it is a fact that the 20" can detect deeper however in my opinion the jury is still out on the debate that the larger monos miss the tiddlers.
The only reason to swing the 8" or 11" Mono's is because of mineralisation or delving in creeks or very rocky ground. Needless to say you can get closer to the ground with the smaller coils on restricted ground.
My favoured settings with GPX-4500 on majority of ground are. (of course there are ground condition exceptions requiring totally different set up)

Front panel:
Search mode- Deep
Timings- Enhance
Ground balance- Fixed
Coil/rx- Mono

Digital Readout:
Back light- Off
Volume Limit- 19
Ground Balance Type- General
Special- Sensitive Extra
Manual Tune- Range between 90 & 100, usually 95
Deep- Motion slow
RX gain- 7 (This can vary depending on atmospheric conditions)
Audio- Normal
Audio tone- 50
Stabiliser- 6 (This varies with RX gain)
Signal- 19
Target volume- 12
Reponse- Normal
Tracking- Medium
Iron reject- Off

When ground balaning, switch from Enhance to normal, do your ground balance then switch back to Enhance and you are on your way. **note** There are instances where ground and or atmospherics don't allow this method and you have to balance in Enhance. (Rarely though)

I use double external speakers, one positioned on each shoulder and wear a wide brimmed hat. Only the severest windy conditions hamper hearing.
Hope this helps
Cheers
Peter
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Beer Beeper on Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:41 pm

I do appreciate that help Peter! That really clears things up alot. Jonathan Porter uses a round NF 18" and also says he finds gold down to .1 gram as well. Like you said the jury is still out if a smaller 14"x9" and round 11" or 12" mono's will pick up tiddlers(small gold nuggets) deeper than big round coils. Here is a reprint of JP's GPX4500 settings:

http://golddetecting.forumotion.net/general-discussion-f1/from-a-3500-to-a-4500-need-help-on-settings-please-t884.htm

Re: From a 3500 to a 4500, need help on settings please
Jonathan Porter Yesterday at 10:58 am (July 30, 2009)

These are the settings I mainly use on the 4500 with a Monoloop coil,

Front End Cap
Timings, Enhance
Ground Balance, Fixed
Coil/RX, Mono or DD mode
Search Mode, General (all the Factory Presets in General point to similar settings for the GP series)

Global settings

Volume Limit, Speaker use 10, Headphones, 12 (FP)
Tone, I use 63 you use your preference.

General search Mode Menu

Gain, 8 (FP) to what ever you can handle on the day.
Motion, Slow (Very Slow chops out too much info unless you crawl along, Medium makes the threshold too chattery).
Stabilizer, 8 for larger coil 10 (FP) or more for small coils chasing little bits.
Audio, Deep (my preference with larger coils), Normal for general use, Boost for the little bits when using a higher Gain with smaller coil with Enhance chasing small gold in shallow ground.
Target Volume, Speaker use 12 (inbuilt booster), 8 (FP) for headphones or B&Z Boosters.
Response, Normal
Discrimination, Off

If the gold is small and the ground HOT, try a Motion of Slow, Gain of 11 or 12, Audio on Boost, Stabilizer on 8 and Ground Balance often using the Fixed GB (always use Fixed when using Enhance or Smooth).

Hope this helps,

JP
www.aurumaustralis.com

"The Outback Prospector" .....leading the way through Innovation and Education

Beer Beeper
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar on Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:45 am

Hello members,

It seems I have not read the GPX-4500 manual correctly, the machine is working faultlessly, however I have a question about settings.

When "Enhance" is selected on the front panel what soil/timing is programmed on the digital rear panel?

It was pointed out to me and I have since read in the manual that "Special" must be selected on the front panel to select the 4 timings on the digital menu.

Can someone explain fully the "Enhance" setting.

Cheers
Peter
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa on Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:20 pm

Enhance is a timing of its own, & the digital menu has no bearing once the end cap switch is in the enhance position, you should ignore whats in the special menu as its only usable when the end cap switch is in the special position.
Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down