Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

commander mono vs minelab mono

2 posters

Go down

commander mono vs minelab mono Empty commander mono vs minelab mono

Post  Guest Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:10 am

hi all
can anybody set me straight here. is a commander mono a better coil than a minelab super gold search mono that was built before the commander series was released,or are they basically the same coil with a different badge?
thanks
dave

Back to top Go down

commander mono vs minelab mono Empty Re: commander mono vs minelab mono

Post  Guest Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:23 am

Hi Dave

As far as I can tell the commander mono's are a little quieter and more stable than the supergoldsearch ones, on the 4500 the commander 11" mono is a very quiet and stable coil with excellent depth and is very sensitive to small pieces, on earlier machines when I used the 11" supergoldsearch mono I found that they were either a bit vague in the signal response and could be rather noisy, and as I found the Coiltek 11" mono a bit better to use so I mainly used that instead.

Having said that I use an old 8" supergoldsearch mono on the 4500 that I got with one of my very first sd2100's and its excellent, quiet and super sensitive, because it works so well I have not replaced it with the new commander 8" mono, so I cant say if they are any better or not, but would be very surprised if it were, if anything it may be a little more stable thats about it.

It seems that in order for the coil to become more stable it will lose some of its sensitivity so as I consider that the commander mono's are more stable, then I would have to also say that they are a little less sensitive than the supergoldsearch ones, as far as I know nothing much has changed in the internals of the coils, both use litz wire, there may be some change to the grade of the wire or perhaps the shielding might be a bit better in the later commander ones.

The main problem you might face with the older supergoldsearch coils is that they do become loose internally so they then can become noisy and touch sensitive as well, if they are in good order and run quietly then I wouldnt hesitate to use it.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:52 am

I have just replaced my 8 inch SuperGoldsearch coil with a new 8 inch Commander (mono) for that very reason. The Supergoldsearch started 'falsing' too much (internals breaking down). Detector sounds much more quiet and good to use again with the 8 inch. Been out twice now with it and finding the usual shotgun pellets and tiny bits of rusty metal, gold will come soon.
Scott.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:10 am

hi phoenix, i love the 8" commander coil they are a awesome little coil. i have found so much gold with it, they do run very smooth.
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  shelby23 Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:21 am

Hi

I have been watching stoppsy Youtube vids and I am very impressed with the 8inch comander coil so I bought one last week.
I have taken it out for a test run and its a great little coil.
Nifty around the rocks in the creek I should order another skid plate too
Regards Neale

shelby23
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 685
Registration date : 2009-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:28 am

shelby23 wrote:Hi

Nifty around the rocks in the creek I should order another skid plate too
Regards Neale

neale hi
my better half likes using the 8" because they are so light. the skid plates for the 8" are dirt cheap. i think i paid $12 for the last one
cheers
dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:34 am

phoenix wrote:hi all
can anybody set me straight here. is a commander mono a better coil than a minelab super gold search mono that was built before the commander series was released,or are they basically the same coil with a different badge?
thanks
dave

Commander Mono coils have been optimised for the GPX series but are backwards compatible with the older Minelab detectors right through to the SD2000. Generally I advise operators to stick with coils from the GP extreme onwards for use with the GPX detectors but would prefer to see the use of Commander monos. The Commander mono coils have been designed with the Smooth Class of timings in mind, older coils might not work as well in these timings as they require very specific coil parameters to work properly. Things to note if older coils or non compliant, a loss of outright depth in the Smooth type timings, inability to achieve a correct ground balance, loss of sensitivity to smaller targets, noise generated when swinging the coil.

Hope this helps,

JP
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 801
Registration date : 2008-11-25

http://www.theoutbackprospector.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:53 pm

1st one with the Commander 8inch mono.
commander mono vs minelab mono 1stwithCommander8inchmono

. Edit - I should add that I'm am still running a SD2100, (am saving for upgrade ) and the coil is running 'smooth'.
Scott.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:38 pm

nice bit off gold there, a lot off people have asked what i think what small coil should they buy... befor i say i let them test run my little 8" commander and they love it... you do get good depth out off them and great for little hard to get to spots where you can't get into with other coils. they are very deadly on small gold the smallest bit i have picked up is .04 gram about 1" deep
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down