Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Minelab Commander 18" Mono Weight

3 posters

Go down

Minelab Commander 18" Mono Weight Empty Minelab Commander 18" Mono Weight

Post  Wedge Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:46 pm

Does anybody know the weight of the Minelab 18" Mono coil?
I really like the 11" Mono Commander (who doesn't?) so the 18" should be good as long as it doesn't weigh a tonne. They are also quite cheap.

Wedge
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2011-06-02

Back to top Go down

Minelab Commander 18" Mono Weight Empty Re: Minelab Commander 18" Mono Weight

Post  dryblower Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:44 pm

Hi wedge . I have used an 18" commander and it is a good coil for depth in "sticky" country as it is not prone to false signals ( like my spoked coils are) when brushing over sticks and dry bushes. From memory it is a few hundred grams heavier than its competition . A ML dealer should be able to weigh one for you . I take the skid plate off, which looses 100g , and use a hipstick and an extra handle so swinging it for a few hours is no problem. Because of the weight its not my prefered patchfinding coil though !
DB

dryblower
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2010-12-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Wedge Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:23 pm

I went to my local dealer and asked the assistant if she had any scales so I could weigh the 18" Commander. She said "yep no problem" and returned a minute later with some bathroom scales Shocked

The Minelab coil did feel slightly heavier than the other 18s when I picked them up. To be honest I could have been imagining it because my hands have not been calibrated recently. Anyway, I ended up buying an NFA 18.

Wedge
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2011-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Qld Sandy Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:27 pm

Wedge wrote:I went to my local dealer and asked the assistant if she had any scales so I could weigh the 18" Commander. She said "yep no problem" and returned a minute later with some bathroom scales Shocked

The Minelab coil did feel slightly heavier than the other 18s when I picked them up. To be honest I could have been imagining it because my hands have not been calibrated recently. Anyway, I ended up buying an NFA 18.

The 18" mono coil weighs 1300 grams, but you can save 240 grams if you lose the skidplate and be careful with your swing like I do.

http://www.goldcitydetecting.com.au/commandercoil.aspx
Qld Sandy
Qld Sandy
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2008-10-18

https://www.goldcitydetecting.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Wedge Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:21 pm

Thanks Sandy, helpful info.