Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coiltek Platypus 12 by 9 mono

5 posters

Go down

Coiltek Platypus 12 by 9 mono Empty Coiltek Platypus 12 by 9 mono

Post  Eddy Current Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:20 am

Hi Guys,

Have looked over a couple of forums for reviews on the coiltek platypus 12 by 9 mono but not much info out there besides a simple "..it's a good coil..". I will be using it to detect along shallow flowing gullies.
It will be hooked up to my 45 and was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with this coil and can offer a little insight as to how it performs wrt sensitivity and depth for it's size.
I know it's a little heavy as it is epoxy filled but that is not an issue for me.
Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Eddy Current
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2010-07-12

Back to top Go down

Coiltek Platypus 12 by 9 mono Empty Platypus coil

Post  thegolddude Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:16 pm

Very useful coil. Very similar in ability to an 11 inch round mono. very sensitive and OK depth on bigger targets. Its best feature is its
waterproof. use it in creeks myself. Graham

thegolddude
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2010-04-10

Back to top Go down

Coiltek Platypus 12 by 9 mono Empty Re: Coiltek Platypus 12 by 9 mono

Post  Eddy Current Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:01 pm

Hi Graham,

Thanks for that info, it sounds like it's the way to go. The waterproof aspect is what I am really chasing as long as the coil is a good performer. So if it is comparable to the 11 inch round mono then I will certainly get it.

Cheers
Barry

Eddy Current
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2010-07-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:01 pm

hi guys i was just wondering if one of these coils would be any good on land aswell or is it only for use in water?
cheers jack

Jack
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2010-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Beer Beeper Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:42 pm

The Nugget Finder Advantage mono coils are suppose to be fully submersable waterproof as well. You may look at a 14 by 9 Advantage also. Also take note and do research to find out which one(Advantage vs Platypus) is less touch sensitive against rocks and sticks is also an important point to consider ?

I do like it but I found my Advantage a bit touch sensitive to small verticle sticks coming through the spokes. I have never used a Platypus before so I do not know how touch sensitive this coil is. If you find out let us know here please.

The Advantage 14 by 7.5 is solid and not spoked and thus does not catch on sticks, etc. The spoked CoilTek mini UFO 17 by 10 mono is also fully submersable waterproof.

Beer Beeper
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2008-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:58 pm

thanks for that beer beeper. i'm looking at getting a smaller mono eliptical coil and thought it could be pretty handy to have one that's also waterproof. the NF 14x9's are a bit out of my price range i think. thanks for the help though

Jack
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  goldtimer Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:06 am

That reminds me..... Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad
I have one, its gone all touch sensitive now though. T i need to send it back quickly. Hopefully it isn't outside of warranty. It's just about unusable as far as detecting for gold goes. JUst SOOOOOO noisy.
I'd better send it back

goldtimer
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2010-02-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:43 am

which model are you talking about?

Jack
Contributor
Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  goldtimer Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:59 pm

The mono. I actually took it out detecting to give it one last try, two days ago and it was running very quiet, but as soon as you bump a rock or a stick, It sounds off. I've heard that Coiltek coils are worse for this than the NF's? Maybe this is just normal? It is a great sized coil, although it is a little heavier, it is a good "Balanced" size and I would use it all the time were it not for the amount of falsing that seems to be happening.... I hate noise when you're trying to pick out those faint signals. It drives me insane pretty quick scratch
Cheers

goldtimer
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2010-02-20

Back to top Go down