Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ZED Warm up issue (Previously: Why not in the manual???)

+20
slimpickens
Reno Chris
goldquest
merexy
Basada
geofflee
Haveadig
Steve Herschbach
polak
Jack outwest
Canned Heat
hoolahoopa
GoldHound
Doofus
ruffles
yellowfin
thegoldman24
rc62burke
sandy2010
Nebuchadnezzar
24 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

ZED Warm up issue (Previously: Why not in the manual???) - Page 4 Empty Re: ZED Warm up issue (Previously: Why not in the manual???)

Post  alchemist Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:43 am

Thank you Chris for taking the time to respond, and all that you say is correct to my way of thinking too.

I guess being such a dumb arse and prone to asking such stupid dumb questions I should've been more careful about the heading of this thread. You will see in my first post that my real concern is that after the manual where does one find out how to deal with inherent weaknesses in the system. i.e. warm up instability (a possible reason why a couple of units have been on sold since release). They may have inadvertently confused the GB system due to their ground conditions.

I asked Minelab in my opening post to provide a reliable channel where these can be addressed. Certainly after this charade, and I'm as much to blame as anyone else here, probably more so.

Sorry for the confusion over the topic heading.

alchemist
alchemist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2009-01-06

Back to top Go down

ZED Warm up issue (Previously: Why not in the manual???) - Page 4 Empty Re: ZED Warm up issue (Previously: Why not in the manual???)

Post  Reno Chris Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:44 am

Part of what is frustrating is that the answers, when they are made, are often ignored.
JP has posted that a small improvement in the threshold happens after a time - the difference is very small, and he has repeatedly posted that the GPZ is quite fully functional as soon as it has booted up. The threshold is but slightly more stable after a period of time. I have said and will say again that I have not even noticed such a difference - I would guess JP's ears are better than mine. Yet so many people here wring their hands and pitch a fit as if the GPZ is full of old fashioned vacuum tubes that don't work at all for 5 or 10 minutes. (The loudest voices proclaiming this to be some sort of disaster are those who have none, or but very little experience with the GPZ.)
I post repeatedly here, though not always daily, and I post regularly elsewhere, Steve posts daily on his forum, JP posts occasionally on Steve's forum, Nenad posts elsewhere and releases videos, and in spite of all that - it is an established and accepted truth here that all the testers are completely silent (and this must indicate something bad). Does only daily posting on this and only this forum count as less than silence? Its preposterous!
I post that many patches will prove a disappointment to prospectors who assume they contain big deep gold, as many truly are surface concentrations, and while some Aussies with experience using a bull dozer agree, I get some that are just convinced I have no idea what I am talking about. While certainly there will be some patches with big deep gold, I am sorry to say that most will not. This is based on the fact that I have a university degree in mine engineering, university training in geology, have written a top selling book and hundreds of articles on prospecting for gold, and have read more on the geology of gold deposits in Victoria than perhaps all but a very few on this forum. Of course testing by those prospectors armed with GPZ detectors in the golden triangle and elsewhere in Australia is also showing very plainly that I was right, but still, according to some I know nothing of which I speak because I am not Australian myself (though you may not know that my ancestors were indeed Australians).
I post that the GPZ does exceptionally well with mossy, wiry types of specimen gold, and an Aussie wants to tell me he has found gold quartz specimens with his 5000, so therefore I am wrong and the 5000 is just as good as the GPZ on this gold too (this happened on another forum).
I have no problem with questions, but if you have already formed a carved-in-stone belief on the matter and have no interest in any answer that does not confirm your belief, why bother to ask?
I simply don't understand why this drama exits on the Australian forums. Its not found on the American gold forums. Questions there are asked and answers given, and the answers may even be discussed but it not a situation as here where every answer is challenged and the person answering is denounced as biased or knowing nothing about the topic.
Could it possibly be that American prospectors are more mannered, polite and well behaved than their Aussie counterparts?
Reno Chris
Reno Chris
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2010-04-07

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:16 am

UNCLE BOB wrote:Reno Chris.     " SPOT ON " 

There are those that know how to use these detectors to their advantage 
And for most of us, we struggle so this is why there will always be questions. Questions about so many things about gold detecting,  it is just the nature of man. These questions will keep coming with every new detector and every new member........ Good questions, smart questions, the not so smart questions,  dumb questions, questions, questions, questions....... 
And this is why we join a forum....... The good, the bad and the ugly. T20
We deal with it or we don't, it is what it is.

100% correct Uncle Bob!
Somewhere along the way, certain mischievous people have tried to turn this Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum from, "somewhere you can go to seek answers to your detecting questions" to a "  T26  Minelab love fest", where no hard questions will be tolerated, and ridicule cast upon the poor bast*rds who ask them.
To all those "mischievous" people, get it through your thick skulls, this is a forum to ask  the hard questions and talk about any gold related topic. If you don't want to, or can't answer the questions, then don't. But why try to stop others from trying to get an answer?
Reno Chris, unlike some others, has chosen to stay on here and add his knowledge to the workings of the GPZed, that's all he can do. We can take it or leave it, no one is forcing him to come on here, and I thank him for it.

Quote Reno Chris. "I simply don't understand why this drama exits on the Australian forums. Its not found on the American gold forums. Questions there are asked and answers given, and the answers may even be discussed but it not a situation as here where every answer is challenged"

On a lighter note Chris, it might just be the "Aussie way" to question everything, who knows?. We don't let people p!ss down our back and tell us it's raining. Are you saying the American forum members are yes men who just accept the party line from Minelab like mushrooms or sheep?. I betcha you don't just accept the Minelab spiel? This forum is filled with cluey bast*rds (not me sadly) who know how to ask the hard questions, and do, and I would have thought you would appreciate this fact. Now that you've admitted you've got some fine Skip blood inya, I understand why you've stayed aboard this forum. If someone gives you crap on here, just give it right back, you will be appreciated more for doing so, than if you took your bat and ball and ran off home.

Last edited by slimpickens on Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:22 am; edited 2 times in total
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post  alchemist Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:18 am

Reno Chris wrote:
Could it possibly be that American prospectors are more mannered, polite and well behaved than their Aussie counterparts?

Chris going by Mr Herschbach's recent post I very much doubt it.

JP did post that a slight improvement in the threshold would be gained over time but he also posted that a reboot was necessary if the GB didn't settle down. This was in Australian conditions, he was answering a question from an Australian prospector.

Anyway the problem has been noted and solution it appears is, when operating over hot ground and auto tracking is engaged don't overuse the quicktrack or you may put your detectors' knickers in a real twist.

The problem of a visble issue resolution forum without all the bullsh!t still remains.
alchemist
alchemist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2009-01-06

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:33 am

Thanks Reno Chris for taking the time for your detailed reply its of great assistance in clearing things up.Your posts and Input on the Zed have given us valuable info about this machine.
Steve
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:38 am

Reno Chris, 

To give you a simple answer to your above post........ People these days are disrespectful.......... A lot of people these days have grown up in broken families. And so " respect" for one another is lost. 
This is shown in a lot of posts as "ego"............ect.ect.ect........

Back to top Go down

Post  Inhere Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:58 am

Reno Chris wrote:
and have read more on the geology of gold deposits in Victoria than perhaps all but a very few on this forum. Of course testing by those prospectors armed with GPZ detectors in the golden triangle and elsewhere in Australia is also showing very plainly that I was right, but still, according to some I know nothing of which I speak because I am not Australian myself (though you may not know that my ancestors were indeed Australians).

With all due respect Chris, reading the geology gold deposits in the place is not quite the same as waving a wand over it.
What where you plainly right about?
Inhere
Inhere
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 941
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:24 am

Thanks Reno Chris, many of the members do appreciate your honest answers and looks like there is still some who like to stir up the sh!t so for the sake of All I think this thread has come to an END.

Mike.

ADMIN.

Back to top Go down

Post  CostasDee Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:07 am

We the management, sincerely wish to thank the many people that to date, have so generously volunteered their knowledge and know-how about how the GPZ7000 functions and works. We especially wish to express our gratitude to Steve Herschbach and Jonathon Porter that have between them, so generously written countless words of invaluable wisdom. A separate utmost sincere thanks, goes to Chris Reno for his invaluable help and support to so many of our members.

On a final note, the one great thing about this, the largest gold forum in Australia (possibly the world), is that we also now have so many other experienced prospectors that can give their reviews on the GPZ7000. At this forum we do like to provide information freely which can not only be shared by all its members but can possibly even be used by Minelab as well. :-)
CostasDee
CostasDee
Management

Number of posts : 3971
Registration date : 2010-11-23

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4