Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ZED Warm up issue (Previously: Why not in the manual???)

+20
slimpickens
Reno Chris
goldquest
merexy
Basada
geofflee
Haveadig
Steve Herschbach
polak
Jack outwest
Canned Heat
hoolahoopa
GoldHound
Doofus
ruffles
yellowfin
thegoldman24
rc62burke
sandy2010
Nebuchadnezzar
24 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

ZED Warm up issue (Previously: Why not in the manual???) Empty ZED Warm up issue (Previously: Why not in the manual???)

Post  alchemist Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:46 am

I'm yet to understand how such an advanced piece of electronics can have such a simple operational manual.
Seems there's so much more to this machine than is explained.
Minelab why do you not enlighten us more about how the systems operate?
Is it from fear of confusing the masses?
Surely the option should be available for those who want to understand the functionality as well, and use this to advantage?

Why is it that we have to read about these things on a forum tucked away in a corner of the net?
http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/741-warm-up-for-gpz-7000-some-clarification/

So the testers are under no obligation to offer helpful tips and clarification to the masses, but if they don't, who does?
Come on Minelab we need a channel where we can officially read these things from the horses mouth, we need to know about any bugs and work arounds in place.
More clarity and visibility on these matters please. We shouldn't have to rely on random postings around the globe.
Please can we have a webpage devoted to more in depth instructions on how to get the best from this machine?
Treasure talk is just not nitty gritty enough.

Thanks

Last edited by alchemist on Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:47 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Word cahnge)
alchemist
alchemist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2009-01-06

Back to top Go down

ZED Warm up issue (Previously: Why not in the manual???) Empty Re: ZED Warm up issue (Previously: Why not in the manual???)

Post  Nebuchadnezzar Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:49 am

I fear all that needs to be said has been said and that owners are now on their own.

No training day
No printed manual
No questions and answers

People will just have to figure it out for themselves. No
Nebuchadnezzar
Nebuchadnezzar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 205
Registration date : 2009-06-02

Back to top Go down

ZED Warm up issue (Previously: Why not in the manual???) Empty Why is this not in the manual

Post  sandy2010 Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:06 am

Nebuchadnezzar wrote:I fear all that needs to be said has been said and that owners are now on their own.

No training day
No printed manual
No questions and answers

People will just have to figure it out for themselves. No

******Be patient, the above will probably come as an addenda (optional extra).......hell ! what do people expect for a mere $10,700 ?

sandy2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 821
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

ZED Warm up issue (Previously: Why not in the manual???) Empty Re: ZED Warm up issue (Previously: Why not in the manual???)

Post  rc62burke Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:18 am

The explanation will most likely come in the form of a DVD !!! don't you think?????? Wink Wink Rolling Eyes

Pardon???? did somebody say something Question Question oh no my mistake it was only the silence I heard Exclamation Shocked Shocked Shocked Embarassed scratch scratch scratch Q07 Q41 Q41 Q41 Q41 Q41 Q41 Q22
rc62burke
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

ZED Warm up issue (Previously: Why not in the manual???) Empty Why is this not in the manual

Post  thegoldman24 Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:19 am

Consider yourselves lucky codan doesn't produce planes.

thegoldman24
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2012-04-12

Back to top Go down

Post  yellowfin Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:39 pm

alchemist wrote:I'm yet to understand how such an advanced piece of electronics can have such a simple operational manual.
Seems there's so much more to this machine than is explained.
Minelab why do you not enlighten us more about how the systems operate?
Is it from fear of confusing the masses?
Surely the option should be available for those who want to understand the functionality as well, and use this to advantage?

Why is it that we have to read about these things on a forum tucked away in a corner of the net?
http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/741-warm-up-for-gpz-7000-some-clarification/

So the testers are under no obligation to offer helpful tips and clarification to the masses, but if they don't, who does?
Come on Minelab we need a channel where we can officially read these things from the horses mouth, we need to know about any bugs and work arounds in place.
More clarity and visibility on these matters please. We shouldn't have to rely on random postings around the globe.
Please can we have a webpage devoted to more in depth instructions on how to get the best from this machine?
Treasure talk is just not nitty gritty enough.

Thanks

What a load of BS 10-20 mins to warm up/normalise, State of the art technology and all

What ya doing dude? V49 Oh just warming up me tecta, be along in 10 - 20 mins.

Last edited by yellowfin on Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:56 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : JP states 10 - 20 mins warm up)

yellowfin
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2014-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post  ruffles Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:49 pm

Question

Last edited by ruffles on Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Perhaps best left for another thread)

ruffles
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 454
Registration date : 2012-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post  alchemist Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:52 pm

yellowfin wrote:

What a load of BS 15-20 mins to warm up/normalise, State of the art technology and all

What ya doing dude? V49 Oh just warming up me tecta, be along in 15 - 20 mins.

lol! Q25  lol! Q24

If it wasn't so funny I'd cry..................................

Hang on a minute I've got a bit of time for some spring cleaning  Q02  while she's warmin up!

Last edited by alchemist on Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
alchemist
alchemist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  yellowfin Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:05 pm

alchemist wrote:
yellowfin wrote:

What a load of BS 15-20 mins to warm up/normalise, State of the art technology and all

What ya doing dude? V49 Oh just warming up me tecta, be along in 15 - 20 mins.

lol! Q25  lol! Q24

Hang on a minute I've got a bit of time for some spring cleaning Q02  while she's warmin up!

Hahaha
They gota be kidding us right Question Question Question Question Question
And that 10 - 20 mins warm up time was in WA during summer, duno how long you gota wait when it's T38

yellowfin
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  alchemist Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:13 pm

I wonder if JP let too much out of the bag, has Minelab got this V04 in store for him I wonder?

Has my $10,700.00 investment lost a bit of its shine???

I need to investigate this really closely I think, and hope the missus don't find out.

Mental note to self:
if she seems twitchy (mmm whatever that is)
and she's producing spurious ground noises,
then reboot the damn thing, and wait another 10 to 20 minutes!
alchemist
alchemist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

ZED Warm up issue (Previously: Why not in the manual???) Empty Re: Why is this not in the manual???

Post  thegoldman24 Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:37 pm

Just imagine how many tinnys you can drown while waiting for the confounded fing to warm up.Think positive. Very Happy

thegoldman24
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:40 pm

thegoldman24 wrote:Just imagine how many tinnys you can drown while waiting for the confounded fing to warm up.Think positive. Very Happy

Ha! So your the bloke who always looks on the bright side of life?
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post  rc62burke Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:50 pm

No fear folks, it's programmed like that so you turn it on, get "Harnessed up/ put yourself in traction Laughing by this time she's good to go!!!! Suspect
rc62burke
rc62burke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post  yellowfin Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:00 pm

if she seems twitchy (mmm whatever that is)
and she's producing spurious ground noises

That's scientific speak for when it's coughing and spuriously farting

yellowfin
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  yellowfin Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:04 pm

rc62burke wrote:No fear folks, it's programmed like that so you turn it on, get "Harnessed up/ put yourself in traction Laughing by this time she's good to go!!!! Suspect

lol!

yellowfin
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  alchemist Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:49 pm

I just re-read the material...and...you can detect during the 10-20 minute warmup...but if the GB is not up to speed......maybe you're wasting your time...like missing stuff and all that????  V56
alchemist
alchemist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  yellowfin Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:03 pm

alchemist wrote:I just re-read the material...and...you can detect during the 10-20 minute warmup...but if the GB is not up to speed......maybe you're wasting your time...like missing stuff and all that????  V56

Nah it's BS mate, even with a slow processor you could average the whole of Vic in 20 mins
This 10 - 20 min warm up stuff is a load of old cobblers.

yellowfin
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  slimpickens Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:10 pm

alchemist wrote:  ...maybe you're wasting your time...like missing stuff and all that????  V56

Missing stuff?  scratch Stuff?  scratch Stuff?  scratch Stuff?  scratch
Oh, you mean gold don't ya?...........Riiiiiight?  As long as it's nothing important. Rolling Eyes
slimpickens
slimpickens
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Back to top Go down

ZED Warm up issue (Previously: Why not in the manual???) Empty Re: Why is this not in the manual???

Post  thegoldman24 Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:18 pm

So what r u saying yellow fin drink and detect.ls there a law against that too?

thegoldman24
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  yellowfin Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:25 pm

thegoldman24 wrote:So what r u saying yellow fin drink and detect.ls there a law against that too?
Drink and detect, Drink or detect,  the beauty of living in a free Country.
T31

yellowfin
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Doofus Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:44 pm

Why does it need 10 to 20 minutes to warm up ? what's inside the machine that needs that length of time ?
I had just about convinced myself to spend some big bucks until I saw a new clip on utube about a faulty machine and now this time thing.
I think the bar has just opened, seeya's.

Doofus
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2015-03-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:58 pm

I was told when I bought my 5000 mid last year to give it 10 mins for the electronics to warm up before starting out. And that was from a very experienced detectorist...

Back to top Go down

Post  alchemist Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:06 pm

Doofus wrote:Why does it need 10 to 20 minutes to warm up ?  what's inside the machine that needs that length of time ?
I had just about convinced myself to spend some big bucks until I saw a new clip on utube about a faulty machine and now this time thing.
I think the bar has just opened, seeya's.

I think yellowfin is right.....it's a load of coblers, to average the ground would be believable at 10 to 20 seconds.....but minutes is fooey.

I think the machine is good, at least the hardware is I think.
alchemist
alchemist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

ZED Warm up issue (Previously: Why not in the manual???) Empty Re:Why is this not in the manual

Post  sandy2010 Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:09 pm

THE WARM UP TIME REMINDS ME OF THE GARRETT GROUNDHOG DAYS IN 1980.......WE WOULD SWITCH ON AND LEAVE IT WHILST WE HAD A SMOKE.......THEN AWAY WE WENT.
MAYBE WE WILL SEE A CHINESE COPY i.e. A GROUNDHOG CIRCUIT IN A M/L BOX.

****************"The more things change, the more they stay the same".

sandy2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 821
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldHound Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:27 pm

Hi alchemist, guys
The manuals of all minelab detector's have always disappointed me as they never explain how the setting works only vaguely what it dose.
I think this is becase they are trying to simplify things for the masses, that always ask for a simpler detector.
Most would never understand even if they did.

As for this warming up bs
You are taking what JP says out of context.
He is saying that after you perform the initial gb that the detector continues sampling the soil and for the next 20 min it will get even better.
This is better than gb on previous detectors as minelab have added more complex computer driven ground sampling that will give you a more precise ground ballance which = better depth.
But because of the way it works you have to be carful of a few things, that he talks about.

Geeezzzee no wonder none of the tester's post here any more just about every word they say is scrutinized then the attacks start, then the conspiracy theory's start!

I can tell you from experience that less than 1 out of 100 operator's know how to get the most out of their 5000 and what the settings actually do and how they interact with eachother.
Even most pros lack this understanding.
And it will be exactly the same with the 7k.
GoldHound
GoldHound
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 547
Registration date : 2014-01-06

Back to top Go down

Post  hoolahoopa Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:35 pm

from my limited experience with my 7000 this is crap!
i have personally noticed no difference from start up to 10/20 mins in.
i am personally still not a fan of the price put on this detector, but i do know that it has turned up many targets, not all gold, on old patches.
yes its heavy no doubt, do i like the screen NO, does the audio dropping out now and then give me the sh@ts YES but i have gotten over it.
GET OVER IT PEOPLE!
there is a heap of worse things going on in the world.
its simple you spend the money or you dont!
cheers

hoolahoopa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 280
Registration date : 2009-04-14

Back to top Go down

Post  alchemist Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:47 pm

GoldHound conspiracies begin when people go back after a week and edit their post, does that not indicate they have something to hide?

Yes, you say I am taking it out of context, but actually JP has removed the core content so that in effect it is actually you that has taken it out of context, exactly what he wanted you to do.
alchemist
alchemist
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Canned Heat Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:52 pm

I don't know about the warm-up, mine seems the same from when I turn it on. But when I first got the 7 it was jittery all the time. Now not so much. It got me wondering about whether some battery conditioning came into play. Its got about 15 charges under its belt now and is for sure running less jittery than when I first got it.

Canned Heat
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2015-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post  hoolahoopa Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:05 pm

canned heat.
i thought the same with mine but i think more than anything it is just us being picky about a machine that is unproven and comparing it to a old machine that has served us well.
what i am saying is that it is just us conditioning itself to it, rather than the other way round.
cheers

hoolahoopa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 280
Registration date : 2009-04-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Canned Heat Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:12 pm

Laughing I wondered that myself. You could be right.

Canned Heat
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2015-03-09

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next