Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Return to Secret Creek

+4
TheGoldenChild
kiwijw
GOLD TRACKER
lbg dreamer
8 posters

Go down

Return to Secret Creek Empty Return to Secret Creek

Post  Guest Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:27 am

Gday People,
Its amazing how the mid week weather can be great leading up to a trip away,yet as your packing the Car,it always seems to go Cactus Rolling Eyes
This last weekend started no different.
Heading over the Blue Mountains we were met with Heavy Sleet around Mt Wilson which turned to a Gale Force driven Blizzard between Bell and Lithgow.
The Snow flakes were huge and it was near white out around the Zig Zag Railway. Hairy driving conditions indeed Shocked
Arrived at the Cockies place around 9.30 and it was patchy light rain. Old mate stuck his head out the front door and said" We have had about 35mm of rain in 12hrs,and its bluddy freezing,you Blokes are keen!"
And that we were! Wink
Quick Tarp set up and swags rolled out,my mate jumped into his and left me to get the fire going.....NICE. Razz Any of you who have ever spent alot of time out bush will know how hard it is to get a fire going when everything is saturated. No fire starters for this Little Black Duck,but I Had it Cranking after about 40 mins of hard work and Bush Craft.
I could pretty much tell straight away there had been a fair drop of rain by the roaring sound the creek was making in the distance,fun times as it meant we were going to be wading across in the dark sometime in the AM.
Up at 4am and on our way by 5am,we navigated the creek doing the Numb foot shuffle,up Hidden Valley and into the headwaters of Secret Creek via Headlamp. You may think we are Crazy,but I cant get away that often,so we make use of our time well.
Everything was either Soaked,Sloppy or plain Top Cake Moisty,with a high Squelch factor underfoot.
Went up and started where I left off the Previous trip,hoping the run would continue or maybe I was just clumsy last time and missed a few. Well,missed a few I did! Rolling Eyes seemed I didnt trace the run properly and started pinging them near some Blackberry bushes. Working around I could see the direction the Gold had come down a previous water course,as all the nuggets were lining up in a 5mtr wide run that lined up perfectly with some workings about 100mtrs further up the valley.
The ground got deeper once I crossed some rock bars up hill,so the Gold was out of range of the Coiltek 10 x 5 Joey Mono. Still,managed to pick up a few here and there on the Mullock of test holes or inamongst rock piles from the surfacing.
With all the rain,the Hot Rocks were playing up bad. I`d say the rising salt with the surface water had impregnated them and some were really singing on the 4000. Ended up with about 18 bits for the day with a total of just over 2.5 grms.
Day 2 dawned a cracker, and ended up being fairly warm in the arvo. I worked about the area picking up bits of trash,lead shot and a nugget here and there. My mate was doing as well as me,and we both got fairly good wages for a weekend of swinging.
The amount of Ounces that must have come out of this place is daunting,as we have been going there for over 8 yrs and still manage a fair few each time.
Return to Secret Creek Photo10
The Biggest bit is .79 and the next biggest .51 so it gives you an idea of how small some of those little ones are.
Total weight was 5.87 grams Un-cleaned.

Back to top Go down

Return to Secret Creek Empty Re: Return to Secret Creek

Post  lbg dreamer Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:20 pm

That's great mate , what can I say
The weather cleared up , you had a great time with good company . and found some nice nice gold as well
And as usual you put up a great story to go with the weekend

Well done Very Happy
lbg dreamer
lbg dreamer
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 942
Registration date : 2011-02-21

Back to top Go down

Return to Secret Creek Empty Return to Secret creek

Post  GOLD TRACKER Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:47 pm

Well done nice pick up on a cold week end, It all ads up for a good pay day.
Cheers bren.
GOLD TRACKER
GOLD TRACKER
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2012-05-24

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwijw Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:44 pm

Good on you Gus. You & your mate were well rewarded & deservedly so for the effort you put in. Success comes to those that go that extra mile. Thanks for sharing a great adventure.

Good luck out there

JW Smile
kiwijw
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1886
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post  TheGoldenChild Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:18 pm

Great story Gus, 5.87 grams is still 5.87 grams no matter how small the gold is, nice effort Very Happy
TheGoldenChild
TheGoldenChild
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 688
Registration date : 2010-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:24 am

Thanks Fellas,
Sorry if I ramble on abit with my posts,but I hope to put the reader into my shoes and give them an insight of what it takes to get the gold.
We are not always successful,and there are plenty of days where you just have to enjoy the bush instead,with a few small nuggets an added bonus.
All the best
Adam Cool

Back to top Go down

Post  Ren Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:43 pm

Great story, along with a nice haul of nuggets to go Very Happy Very Happy well done Gus top effort cheers

Ren...
Ren
Ren
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 951
Registration date : 2012-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post  piston broke Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:25 pm

Great report Gus. You did well to get that fire going. Did you have some dry paper in the car or something. Can't beat a good fire in the conditions you described. cheers Pete.

ps Good Gold cheers
piston broke
piston broke
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1633
Registration date : 2011-05-07

Back to top Go down

Return to Secret Creek Empty Return to Secret Creek

Post  AnnieL Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:40 pm

Well done Gus !! You are keen - and I liked the report. Smile

Annie
AnnieL
AnnieL
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1084
Registration date : 2012-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:52 pm

Hey Gus with the amount of gold that you have found it won't be called "Secrect Creek" much longer. Well done mate Laughing
wombat Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:11 am

terrific pieces mate Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:47 am

Thanks everyone Very Happy
I allways carry a few spare newspapers in the car PB,just for this kind of situation. Swagging it without a Fire just isnt the done thing Wink
And the Date Roll supply is too valuable to use up as a fire starter affraid

There are plenty of Secret Creeks North,South and West of Bathurst, Wombat. Wink
This one is on Private Property and we are lucky enough to have exclusive access. Must be all the Boxes of Beer and Groceries we give to the owners Laughing
The Property owner has a good Policy: Trespassers will be shot,survivers will be shot again. Razz

Back to top Go down

Post  kiwijw Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:43 pm

Ha ha, I like the land owners policy Very Happy
Small cut up pieces of car or bike tyre innertube make great fire starters. Small & light to carry around or left in your glove box for just an emergencey.

Good luck out there

JW Smile
kiwijw
kiwijw
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1886
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoffs Gold Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:04 am

Nice finds Gus & a great story loved it Very Happy