Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

old GT 16000

+2
evan2010
jumbo
6 posters

Go down

old GT 16000 Empty old GT 16000

Post  jumbo Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:33 pm

Hi all' I think this will be a hard one or very easy to solve.An old Minelab GT16000 Ground Tracker has come into my possesion it has a Minelab Super Search 8 coil,must be what they came with?
Now for the Question,Are there any mod's that can be made too, or plugged in too or maybe a coil change ,that would make it worth while to even bother charging the batteries? Any Info' would be helpful.
Or(easy answer) maybe just leave it in the corner of the shed and wonder if it ever worked?.............Jumbo

jumbo

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2009-08-03

Back to top Go down

old GT 16000 Empty GT16000

Post  evan2010 Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:25 pm

Gday mate, not sure about mods or extra coils but i was just having a play around with my uncles old GT and it seemed to run fairly smoothly in both tracking and fixed with a fairly low threshold (bout 10oclock position) and sensitivity at (bout 11). I left it in normal mode, wasnt too sure about boost or enhance? I found the machine definately useable so long as you didnt sweep the coil too fast and were prepared to dig all targets etc
evan2010
evan2010
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2010-05-09

Back to top Go down

old GT 16000 Empty Re: old GT 16000

Post  HA_DA_JA Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:28 am

I just a got a fast traker GT16000 too so that info you posted will also be very usuable. I have not used mine yet but it did come with a bigger coil on it which is not standard.

HA_DA_JA

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2011-07-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:43 pm

hi
i still own the 1600 ground tracker i bought about 30 yrs ago and i also have an eliptical coil for it , about a 10" eliptical. to be fair , they did work. 25 plus years ago i got a 94 grammer and a 30 grammmer with it, but if i had to use it for gold detecting today i would give the game away,you just wouldn`t be in the hunt going up against current machines, BUT i seem to remember it was a pretty good beach machine
cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:39 pm

Not much help to your question which has been answered already anway but interesting.....

I was flipping through some old 'post' magazines a couple of weeks ago and came across minelabs add for the GT16000 when they were new....also in some of these old mags were stories of outback pubs etc in WA and stories of gold that pospectors were finding back then with this type of machine in WA and SA....sure was a walk back in time and a very interesting read.
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Axtyr Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:24 pm

Hi there.

I hired one in Wedderburn one weekend when they first came out and managed to find a small 3 grammer on the second day.
At the time I owned the 15000 and wanted to test it. It was very easy to use and worked quite well. I only had the standard coil that came with it.

If you are not using it and it is in the cupboard I am after another detector for comparison purposes with the SD2000 I just purchased. I was extremely happy with my 15000 and have been trying to source one but they are extremely pricey for their age. A bit like second hand computers. People want to sell them for as much as they can but realistically they are well past their prime.

If it is still in the cupboard and you are interested in selling it let me know what you want for it. After purchasing the SD2000 I don't really need another detector so cannot justify spending a great deal of money for it.

Axtyr.

Axtyr
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 846
Registration date : 2014-01-20

Back to top Go down

old GT 16000 Empty old gt 1600

Post  Old Hand Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:59 pm

I used a gt for many year until the 2000 came out. There were a few mods that could be done to them the only one I would recommend would be the tone a friend had a ft and with all the mods done to it that made the detector to hard to use .
Old Hand
Old Hand
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 431
Registration date : 2012-03-31

https://servimg.com

Back to top Go down