Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

minelab x-terra 305 or minelab fast tracker 16000

2 posters

Go down

minelab x-terra 305 or minelab fast tracker 16000 Empty minelab x-terra 305 or minelab fast tracker 16000

Post  Dragon Man Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:24 am

hello again,

I am going away tomorrow with the family and was unable to hire a detector due to most places i rang have them all hired out and others only have the latest gpx and told me that some were not returned and they dont really want to hire out unless you pop in and speak with them (so they judge you on appearance) i would assume, anyway just want some opinions on the following detectors one is old but hardly much info on the net about it

Fast tracker 16000
x terra 305

which is better or pros and cons
thanks
DrAGON MAN

Dragon Man

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2013-03-30

Back to top Go down

minelab x-terra 305 or minelab fast tracker 16000 Empty Re: minelab x-terra 305 or minelab fast tracker 16000

Post  CostasDee Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:20 am

Hi Dragon Man,
I can only tell you about my personal experience with the FT16000 as I used to have one in the early 90's. I do not have fond memories of the FT as I found it a very noisy detector to use. It did find it hard to handle the mineralised ground and consequently was very erratic with the sounds and noise produced. I did find a little bit of gold with it, but only because in those days gold was a lot more plentiful. Recalling now the way I used it, I believe that some of the noise was caused by my lack of understanding the limitations of the machine. I was taught to use it in tracking and not fixed which I believe made the processor auto ground balance too often and too quickly, causing the machine to be continually noisy. Knowing what I know now, I would have attempted putting the detector in fixed rather that tracking and maybe that might have corrected the issues with the noise. Anyway that's old history now, so in conclusion, the FT16000 can find gold, but in my experience, it is no match to even a SD2000 PI machine running a 11" or 14" DD coil, both in depth and ability to handle the mineralised ground.
Cheers
CostasDee
CostasDee
Management

Number of posts : 3971
Registration date : 2010-11-23

Back to top Go down

minelab x-terra 305 or minelab fast tracker 16000 Empty Re: minelab x-terra 305 or minelab fast tracker 16000

Post  Guest Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:12 pm

Had the same problems as you costas ! But in hindsight I'm nodding my head in agreement with what you are saying! cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:20 pm

G'day Dragon Man as CostaDee and Ark have said I would go for a more updated machine for gold prospecting. The 305 would be ok if your only going to search for coins etc. hope this helps. Very Happy

Cheers.

Mike. cheers

Back to top Go down