Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which detector is second best?

5 posters

Go down

Which detector is second best? Empty Which detector is second best?

Post  fortunehunter Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:11 pm

Hi everyone,

Newbie here, however not new to the world of detecting having spent a fair bit of time using my Etrac to find lots of coins and rings at various locations. But now I'm interested in getting into gold prospecting so looking to purchase a purpose built gold detector as the Etrac is just not sensitive enough to find the small nuggets although it is great on the coins.

Ok, I have used both the GPX5000 & 4500 on a weekend trip to the Victorian goldfields and found out firsthand how sensitive they are at finding those tiny nuggets, problem is I just didn't feel comfortable using either machine all day long. I just found the GPX's too heavy on the arm even when wearing a bungy cord and I didn't like harness or the battery hanging off me. Maybe I'm being a bit fussy but after using the Etrac for so long the GPX's seemed like dinosaurs from the 70's. Also with a price tag of about $6000 I'm not sure I want to spend that sought of money just yet until I'm sure I really enjoy searching for gold.

So my question is: If we assume that the GPX's are the best detectors for finding gold then what is second best?

This may seem like a strange place to ask such a question but I figure many of you on this forum will have upgraded to the GPX5000 from some other detector so you are probably well placed to comment on how the other brands of detectors stack up against the GPX's.

Three detectors I'm looking at are: Garret AT GOLD (Yes, I do realize an Aussie modified version has just been released)
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Whites TDI Pro

Would anyone like to comment on these detectors and how they stack up against the GPX's, I would especially like to hear from people who have actually been able to compare these detectors in the field with the GPX's. I'm also open to any other suggestions for other detectors which may fit the bill.

Thanks in advance.

fortunehunter
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2012-02-03

Back to top Go down

Which detector is second best? Empty Re: Which detector is second best?

Post  GREENnuggetCONVERT Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:24 pm

Welcome.
heres a couple of links to check out some info for yourself.
https://golddetecting.forumotion.net/t6893-garrett-at-pro-at-gold?highlight=eureka+gold
https://golddetecting.forumotion.net/t7763-vlf-vs-pi-detectors
whether you find them useful or not there is lots more on the forum....
hope that this info helps you understand what your asking a little better.........
cheers...............Trev.... cheers
GREENnuggetCONVERT
GREENnuggetCONVERT
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2012-01-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Narrawa Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:49 pm

Fortunehunter, the reality of those other detectors you mentioned will be wasted money in the long run. Speaking only as a casual user of the Pro, and long time operator of a 4000 and 4500.
Your Etrac has served you well by the sounds of it, and you find yourself wanting a better machine. This will happen again no matter what machine you buy next....its a part of the game.
You said
.... But now I'm interested in getting into gold prospecting so looking to purchase a purpose built gold detector ....
Think about it carefully and save yourself time and money. You have mentioned using the 5000/4500, this is where your going to find it difficult should you opt for a lesser detector.

Dont let the weigh of the detector influence you from making the better choice, you'll get use to carrying a decent gold detector soon enough when the rewards shadow this thought.

The AT and the GB Pro would probably fall into the top five contenders from the VLF market, the TDI pro has little back up in the form of people posting picks of gold found with it. If those using it here in OZ were to constantly post their finds and speak a little about it, it would probably be a worthy consideration against the top end ML detectors. Yet it remains just a contender lacking the feedback required to bring it up to par.(my opinion)

So my question is: If we assume that the GPX's are the best detectors for finding gold then what is second best?
The best detector in this category, is simply the one your budget can afford.
Speaking outside of the budget, if you can go to the top strait off the bat, you save yourself a big learning curve and a whole lot of $$$.

Narrawa
Narrawa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1885
Registration date : 2008-10-22

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  waznme Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:11 pm

G'Day

I recently upgraded from a 3500 to a 5000 and the first thing I noticed was how much lighter the 5000 is.

Might be my imagination as I had already got rid of the 3500

Waz

waznme
waznme
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2008-10-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:57 am

Hi All
On the weight issue.Check that the machine is balanced properly.Grab hold of the bungee and suspend it ,it should have a bias on the coil end and hang at 5 pm.If it doesnt undo the knuckle and move it to achieve this.Where possible use mid strength bungees only use stronger ones with bigger coils.Make sure you have the bungee tension set right,so you are not constantly pushing it away from you.You can certainly wear youself out when new to detecting and if you dont detect often enough to build up that strength get a hipstick.They transfer the weight to your belt.
As for the second best machine the gpx4500.The best value for money machine the gpextreme or gp3000.
Cheers Dig

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:44 pm

..great advice olde Dig...good to see you still on here Noel....

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:47 pm

Ray I see youve still got the Gold Bug. Hi to you and Brigdet/Ingrid
Cheers Noel

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:26 pm

..always had it..still living on the gold..PM me your number and say Hi to Kath....

Back to top Go down

Post  kon61 Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:51 pm

Fortunehunter,second best is the competence of the operator Laughing What a Face

Cheers Kon.
kon61
kon61
Management

Number of posts : 4993
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down