Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What detector to Buy?

5 posters

Go down

What detector to Buy? Empty What detector to Buy?

Post  silk Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:20 pm

[justify] I first posted on the forum in late Oct. under I'm old for a new bloke and I,m not sure If I should have continued with that post or started a new one. Well now you know what I decided, to re-cap I work with adults with disabilities and was looking to start a program to get these ladies and gentleman involved in maybe panning but definatley in using a metal detector.

I had some great advice and encoragement from the forum members. I went to the typewriter (Told you I was old) and submitted a proposed activity program with costing, benifits, risk assessment and lots of other ( can I say crap on this forum) stuff. Well upside is Ive been given the go ahead with a budget.

My approved budget is two detectors at @$400 each
6 gold pans @ $20 each
6 Hand tools at $15 each

Now I really need advice. what to buy. Type of detecor, ease of use, good for beach work, good for relics and we want to check out the old diggings at bulldog creek about 15 kilometers from our center. Yeah and also any ongoing costs of the detector such as batteries.

Looking foward to any advice

silk
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-10-14

Back to top Go down

What detector to Buy? Empty Re: What detector to Buy?

Post  Guest Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:08 pm

Not that I've used them but for that price a couple maybe a few Gold snoops might be the go..Basic, easy to master and have found gold! also work well on the beaches.
Might be worth a try and put your proposal and possibly your budget dirrectly to Jack Lange.
They should have a lot of fun and with a bit of luck...might find a nugget or two.
Good luck

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:39 pm

Yes Jack maybe able to get you a older model GPX4500 now if you ask him nicely.

Get him on a good day and ask him nicely. ( really nicely that is and he may just be able to help you out )

With the budget you have.

Good Luck

Back to top Go down

Post  everhopeful Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:49 pm

Keep at it silk..great idea you have there..sent you a P.M
everhopeful

everhopeful
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2010-05-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:22 pm

Silk. The Gold Snoops won't find those tiny little bits of gold mate, but I have two of them and one of my daughters loves them so much, she has permanently commandeered one. They are very easy to use and are very competitive with my MXT finding coins etc. I have found you don't need headphones with them so that will make it easier for folks to pick up and use them. Case inpoint... We were checking around her clothesline a week ago with the Snoop and my MXT. Found a few odds and sods like pennies and 20c pieces etc but after I went home she found a silver sixpence and a small sterling silver ring. I was quite surprised that the MXT didn't see those. Maybe I am getting old too. (or too old). Anyway I have had the Snoops for about 18 months or so and both are going well. They require 2 x 9 volt batteries each and the best place to buy those is Bunnings. Aldis prices are pretty competitive on batteries too.
Good luck with your venture.

Panther

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:43 pm

On a serious note.

A good cheap second hand Goldbug Mark2 may be the way to go. A very good and cheap detector and does find the small stuff a a reasonable depth. A very good Vlf detector and a very high frequency range for small nuggets and sensitivity.

Hope i have helped a bit

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:48 am

Hi Silk
On your budget I think you are on the right track.Panning for gold and detecting for Relics and Coins.Goldsnoops or Treasure Snoops are easy to use machines.$279 each Goldsscan Australia.033524788.See ad Gold Gem and Treasure magazine.You will see in the Ad the price of a charger and rechargeable batteries as mentioned they take two 9 volt.As you will make this an ongoing program ,getting rechargables is the way to go.Snoops are also sold on ebay.
Cheers Dig

Back to top Go down

Post  Blueons Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:59 am

Thanks ppl, I am new, just reading the posts, that you lot share, I'm learning lots. Some day I'll be putting up something of value.
Mat
Blueons
Blueons
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2011-04-07

Back to top Go down

What detector to Buy? Empty snoop ?

Post  buzzbuzzjanko Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:49 pm

Hi. I my buy a second detector and pickle my SEBEN. So people are talking nice about ,,snoop,, detectors, where are they made ? in wuch country ?.
cheers

buzzbuzzjanko
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2012-12-15

Back to top Go down

Post  getascripter Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:56 pm

G'day silk & welcome! Very Happy

I can't help you with your quest for detectors in that price range, however I can affirm that those who have offered advice are certainly to be trusted.

I wish you, and your group all the very best of luck, especially in your quest for some fun, outdoor activities, that reward in more than just the 'treasure' found. Very Happy
getascripter
getascripter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1900
Registration date : 2012-04-26

Back to top Go down