Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GPX4500 ang jewelry

4 posters

Go down

GPX4500 ang jewelry Empty GPX4500 ang jewelry

Post  Lucio Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:50 am

Hello everyone, I'm Italian and usually use the gpx4500 on the beach. To search for gold rings are great, but the necklaces did not detect. One earring (open) of gold (18k) from 0.7 grams does not detect it, while a piece of silver from 0.2 g (open or closed) detects it fine! why?
I have to use special settings?

Thanks and sorry for my English (translated with google).
Lucio
Lucio
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-12-21

Back to top Go down

GPX4500 ang jewelry Empty Re: GPX4500 ang jewelry

Post  deutran Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:32 pm

Hi Lucio
There are no special settings,necklaces dont pick up well because of the small links.I spent a lot of time using P.I's on the beach and you will find plenty of silver jewelery including chains,gold rings are fairly common and pick up well.
The surface area of the target is very important or the size of the ring in generating the eddy current for the coil to receive.You will find coins are very easy to detect for this reason.An open loop such as an earing doesn't allow the current to circulate,if you close the loop and retest you will see it detects quite well.
If you are finding gold rings you are doing well,a lot of gold chains are found by eye during detecting or whilst digging or if they have pendants hanging off them.
Steve
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

GPX4500 ang jewelry Empty GPX4500 and gold jewelry is not detected

Post  Lucio Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:16 am

deutran wrote:Hi Lucio
There are no special settings,necklaces dont pick up well because of the small links.I spent a lot of time using P.I's on the beach and you will find plenty of silver jewelery including chains,gold rings are fairly common and pick up well.
The surface area of the target is very important or the size of the ring in generating the eddy current for the coil to receive.You will find coins are very easy to detect for this reason.An open loop such as an earing doesn't allow the current to circulate,if you close the loop and retest you will see it detects quite well.
If you are finding gold rings you are doing well,a lot of gold chains are found by eye during detecting or whilst digging or if they have pendants hanging off them.
Steve

Thanks Steve for letting me respond.
is a pity that the gpx4500 not detect gold circular open; for objects in silver, copper, aluminum or iron of any kind will detect them well.
Why this problem is only with the gold?
can, in some way, to solve this problem?
Yesterday my gpx4500 has detected very good a strip of metal (such as those found in the euro banknotes) heavy 0.01 grams!
I use the DD coil because the beach is dirty with bits of rusty iron, aluminum, caps ... So I use a slight discrimination in order to understand the type of object.
Can you advise me some settings?
I use this:

Search Mode Deep
Soil/Timings Normal
Ground Balance Fixed
Coil/Rx Double D

MAIN MENU
BACKLIGHT OFF
VOLUME LIMIT 15
GB TYPE GENERAL
MAN TUNE 109
MOTION SLOW
RX GAIN 12
AUDIO TYPE NORMAL
AUDIO TONE 33
STABILIZER 11
SIGNAL 19
TARGET VOL 10
RESPONSE NORMAL
TRACKING SLOW
IRON REJECT 5
SPECIAL SHARP

thanks,

Lucio.
Lucio
Lucio
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:50 am

Hi Lucio
You already have a detector that is very sensitive to gold,I use a mono coil and dig everything this gives you extra sensitivity.There is a platypus mono available to use in water,its a 12"x8"elliptical made by coiltek and would be very sensitive to small gold.
http://coiltekmanufacturing.com.au/12by8-explorer-coil.html
You can reduce the trash and improve your chances of finding good targets by doing the swimming area at low tide up to the high tide mark(usually where the seaweed is).Flat beaches seem to be best for quite operation.
As the detector is designed for the goldfields it doesnt have any specific settings designed for beach use to handle the wet sand other than Coarse/salt which still suffers in changing salt concentrations.Your settings are fine and I also found special sharp the best which is strange because its the noisiest in the mineralised goldfields.Maybe other forum members may be able to help with this as I haven't found any solution.The 5000 does have salt/gold that is designed for beach use though I haven't used it yet will test it soon.
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:54 am

Hello Lucio,
I think this question has been asked before because it is strange that gold chains are almost undetectable.

With your machine settings you do have to have the Soil/Timings switched to "Special" on the front panel to activate "Sharp"

Someone may have an answer for you.

Good luck
Peter
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Post  Lucio Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:30 am

Nightjar wrote:Hello Lucio,
I think this question has been asked before because it is strange that gold chains are almost undetectable.

With your machine settings you do have to have the Soil/Timings switched to "Special" on the front panel to activate "Sharp"

Someone may have an answer for you.

Good luck
Peter

Hello Peter,
I have written before the setting is correct! and what you say is also right!
I think it's a software problem gpx4500, because with the option Soil/Timings NORMAL, SPECIAL (Sharp) should not appear.
Should I do a reset and return values​​, but today I picked up 3 gold rings (19 grams total) in depth, so do not change settings for now.

ciao,
Lucio
Lucio
Lucio
New Poster
New Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:30 am

Great finds Lucio,
Hope there is a lot more treasure there for you to detect?
Your machine is obviously working OK.
If you switch the front to "Special" then alter the timing on the digital display then shut the machine down it will save this setting. When you power up again and switch Soil/Timing back to "Normal" the digital display you set before shutting down will still display even though it isn't actually functioning.
This can be a little confusing.

Cheers
Peter
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

GPX4500 ang jewelry Empty GPX5000 Salt/Gold timing - wet sand beach performance?

Post  filternozzle Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:06 pm

deutran wrote:
As the detector is designed for the goldfields it doesnt have any specific settings designed for beach use to handle the wet sand other than Coarse/salt which still suffers in changing salt concentrations.Your settings are fine and I also found special sharp the best which is strange because its the noisiest in the mineralised goldfields.Maybe other forum members may be able to help with this as I haven't found any solution.The 5000 does have salt/gold that is designed for beach use though I haven't used it yet will test it soon.

Have you tested the 5000 yet? I am interested in the results of your testing of the GPX5000 with Salt/Gold timing on the beach wet sand
filternozzle
filternozzle
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-03-31

Back to top Go down