Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New prospector with a gpx4500

+4
GoldstalkerGPX
Universal1
mulgadansa
steve17
8 posters

Go down

New prospector with a gpx4500 Empty New prospector with a gpx4500

Post  steve17 Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:02 pm

Hello, im new to the prospecting game, ive purchaced a gpx 4500 to get me going. im located near the triangle and itching to get out there.
Enough about that, my question is, if there was one bit of advice or information you could give a new prospector what would it be ?
Can be anything, Every little bit of knowledge helps, So please hellp a newbie !! Thanks Very Happy

steve17
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2011-01-09

Back to top Go down

New prospector with a gpx4500 Empty Re: New prospector with a gpx4500

Post  mulgadansa Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:08 pm

Gday Steve
Welcome.
Run your detector coil low to the ground, run it slowly but evenly and read the info on this forum. There's heaps of sage advice floating around in here.There's no such thing as too much research.
cheers
Brett
mulgadansa
mulgadansa
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2008-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post  Universal1 Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:25 pm

Dig every signal Very Happy
Universal1
Universal1
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2010-02-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:20 pm

listen to your detector, listen to every change in the threshold
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:26 pm

steve17 wrote: if there was one bit of advice or information you could give a new prospector what would it be ?
Can be anything, Every little bit of knowledge helps, So please hellp a newbie !! Thanks Very Happy

Read all the threads on this forum as many as you can!! you will learn much, if you can, meet up and detect with others this will teach you much.

Above all ask questions, even if you think they are dumb questions, every person I have had work under me or trained up I have stressed this one factor.......
A DUMB QUESTION IS BETTER THAN A DUMB MISTAKE Twisted Evil

There are no dumb questions, just dumb answers.

I would love to catch up one day out there somewhere, you just never know what I may learn from you.

Cheers
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:29 pm

hey GoldstalkerGPX, should catch up for a swing oneday champ?
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  GoldstalkerGPX Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:31 pm

stoppsy wrote:hey GoldstalkerGPX, should catch up for a swing oneday champ?
cheers
stoppsy

Yeah mate for sure, I was meant to be out with THeHoward today at Ararat, but my shifts got changed around and had to work, on the upside it is my 3 day weekend now Very Happy

When and where mate? (not this week)

Edit....Actually on the 29th of this month going to watch my mate perform along with a melbourne band at the Moliagul pub, I will be camping there so..........
Cheers
GoldstalkerGPX
GoldstalkerGPX
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:15 pm

i'll work a weekend out and i'll pm ya to see what ya think
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  chopppacalamari Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:05 am

Dig every signal. I agree with that one.

Dicko..
chopppacalamari
chopppacalamari
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 660
Registration date : 2008-12-13

Back to top Go down

Post  phill Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:23 pm

Hi Steve,
Like you I,m new to this forum, any forum for that matter, I,ve gleaned heaps of brilliant info from here as well as fallen over laughing my ass off on many an occision..wit is rife.. I look forward to one day bumping into some of these characters. I too run a 4500 and like many I suppose put many miles under my belt only to collect about 3 cents worth of lead and a couple of kilos of scrap metal... Starting to wonder if I would ever find any of the precious stuff Sad . My sprit hit an all time low one morning as I walked back to my isolated camp where I'd been holed up alone for a few days.. Had my lunch and thought here I go again off to find more bullet heads with my $7K investment.. for some unknown reason I set out in a compleatly different direction (geographicly) to where I'd planed to go. About four hours latter I waked back to my camp with six nuggets for 33.3gms in my pocket one of which was 18.6gms! Very Happy Tired but with a new spring in my step I can tell ya! Since then I've been killing it..... So my 2c worth..... STAY POSITIVE!! Always think positive.. your day will come but most of us do our apprentiship first, it may be quick or it may take longer than you expect, but if you keep at it your day WILL come and after that day everything will change. Think of this story when you get dejected and smile and remember... it will happen!
Hope this helps.
Cheers mate, Phill.
phill
phill
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:31 pm

well done Phill!!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:32 pm

good on ya phill on the finds, you just keep at it and don't give up you'll find it sooner or later.... don't think everytime you go out you will find it... there will be times when you'll find nothing for a few days or even weeks, just don't give up...
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:32 pm

Congratulations Phill, it is stories like yours that lend encouragement to not only the newbies but the seasoned guys as well. Keep it up mate.

Panther

Back to top Go down

Post  deutran Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:31 pm

Hi Steve
At least if you dont find gold you can't blame the detector,its a proven performer.My advise would be the more lead you find the better,particularly the small shot.
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:21 pm

Hi Phill!
Was a pleasure meeting you (however briefly) the other day. That nugget you have on your coil, do you by chance have a larger picture and if so would it be at all possible to post a pic? It was a stunning nugget I'm sure if other readers saw it they would certainly agree!

Cheers!
Steve

Back to top Go down

Post  phill Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:17 pm

Hey Steve, Small world is'nt it, yes mate indeed a pleasure to meet up with another young bloke from the forum. The nugg on the coil wasn't the one I had with me the other day, it was the first one I ever got, 3.5gms, it was a sucker for a dill with a detector cause' it was sunbaking when I waved the coil over it! then I got its mates, Very Happy refer to story above in this thread.
That pretty little one I had with me at Mudgee is on this forum, you can find a pic of her under the thread "ending 2010 on a nice note" in general disscusion section, or words to that effect, I won't try and upload another pic as I'm still wondering how I managed to get that pic on here in the first place, help from my son I think!
If you'd like a pic of the coil one PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send it to you, I can manage the photo thing on hotmail a lot better.
Again, good to meet up, Cheers Phill.
phill
phill
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:40 am

Gday

The one main thing that I think is the downfall of the most operators is their swing speed, new and seasoned alike, some people thrash about the bush and try to cover it all, wrong, slow down and detect with an even and purposeful swing, you might cover less ground but you will get more gold.

cheers

stayyerAU

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightjar Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:33 am

Hi Steve,
Take an hour or so out of your time out on the goldfields to get to know the sounds of your machine.
Experiement with a small buried target, (shot gun pellet is ideal) and adjust the "Tone" to best suit your hearing.
The older we get and our work back ground contributes to loss of hearing, usually the top range. You maybe surprised how much clearer a signal is when tone is personally set.

Cheers
Peter
Nightjar
Nightjar
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2689
Registration date : 2008-10-25

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fusr%2Fka

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:09 pm

Hi all
Spot on Stayyer.The need for speed is certainly one of the biggest factors in missing gold.Its a hard thing to do but think about the ground directly in front of you,not on the ground you are heading to.Its so easy to miss that signal that will make your day.I took a part time worker from Coiltek to an area just East of Avoca.It was an area known for big gold.Three multiple ounce nuggets had come from the area. Because of this the area had really been worked and if you asked me could another come out I would have said doubtfull.There was a circle of whipstick with a 2 metre gap in the middle.Everyone previously must have stepped into the middle and detected the edges.Craig did what everyone else did then detected the ground on which he was standing in the centre.He was 7 ounces better off by thoroughly covering the ground he was on.In this game slow but sure does win the race.
Cheers Dig

Back to top Go down