Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Camera with inbuilt GPS.

3 posters

Go down

Camera with inbuilt GPS. Empty Camera with inbuilt GPS.

Post  Hoof Hearted Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:59 pm

"Konnichiwa" all...

There was a post a little while back about GPS and PLB equipment... Well now we have this little jigger to add to our kit, the Nikon Coolpix AW 100. A compact digital camera with more features than a space shuttle including a GPS setup!!

One of the features that I was particularly pleased with was the Macro (close up)... I've had a 35mm digital camera with the Macro feature for a few yrs but the Nikon leaves it for dead in quality and ease of use!!

Another useful setup is that the GR (grid reference) can be recorded on all your shots, meaning that when you find a patch out in the middle of no where and then when you want to return but you think it might be a bit of a chore finding the exact loc, just feed the GR off the photo into your GPS thingy and away you go...

One of the colour options is camo, so don't go putting it on a stump or something such like... She might just disappear Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Don't you just love Mr Digital???

Cheers. HH.

Camera with inbuilt GPS. Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRKpT_EfpmvbzjXr0_bsziRN8S33Wgc8fXrOtcLWfmZzvBtJkHA
Hoof Hearted
Hoof Hearted
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2011-10-02

Back to top Go down

Camera with inbuilt GPS. Empty Re: Camera with inbuilt GPS.

Post  nero_design Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:18 pm

Nikon make a decent camera and their Coolpix range has always been very popular. Should take decent pictures and is waterproof as well.

Personally, I'll rue the day when I am forced to upgrade to a camera with GPS tagging. When you “geotag” photos, you are adding the latitude, longitude, and altitude information into the image file. The information is usually embedded in the image file so it can be extracted later and added to a map. There's a lot of people trying to get to where gold is found. Those who are lazy or clueless will happily follow an unsuspecting prospector to their favorite spot. The ones who do it from their home computer will seek out pictures they can use to map themselves straight to the spot. It may not be easy to remove EXIF information from the photographs because usually this is embedded without the ability to turn it off or delete it.

If you're on your own property though and you don't post pictures on the internet, they might come in handy.

nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Flakmagnet Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:16 pm

I have studiously avoided cameras with gps.
I know where I am when I take a picture and, if I'm prospecting,
I like that most people will not.

Flakmagnet
Flakmagnet
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post  nero_design Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:22 pm

I feel that all cameras will have a GeoTag feature with GPS built into them someday not to distant. They're unbelievably small already, aren't they?
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Flakmagnet Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:29 pm

Nero,

They probably will have a gps in every camera soon, but why?
I must have missed the need for having a gps location for snapshots of Aunt Milly, or whatever.
Geo-Caching perhaps, but other than that I don't get it.

I am still trying to find a little pocket camera that takes quality shots
that has a 24 wide angle lens. That's hard enough.

All the best,
Flakmagnet
Flakmagnet
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post  nero_design Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:40 pm

You'll get a bit of barrel distortion under 28mm. The Canon Powershot S100 is one of the new ones with a larger than previous CMOS chip. Takes superb pictures for a compact. Some love it. Not all. I'm holding out for the next model.
nero_design
nero_design
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down