Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5000 noisy with large coils

4 posters

Go down

5000 noisy with large coils Empty 5000 noisy with large coils

Post  blinkiebill Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:55 pm

Hi all, this is my first go here, My problem is that I'm learning to drive a new 5000 after using an Extreme for 6 years. I first noticed that when using a large coil (24x12 Coiltek UFO) it suddenly became uncontrollable. I had been running very close to FP and nothing I did helped. I had to walk half a kay back to my vehicle and fit the 11inch minelab mono again. This worked great so I put it down to the coil playing up. I have used this 24x12 on the Extreme before and it was OK. I have since purchased a brand new 15x12 Minelab Commander coil and took it out on its maiden voyage the other day and it did the same thing. The only thing I could do is change back to the 11 inch. I have to admit that the ground I was working was hot red soil. I have not had a chance to try again yet, but I thought that I might throw it out to see if someone else has had the same problems and if there is a quick cure or special setting I might use. Cheers Blinkiebill.

PS, Have just rang Jeff at Reeds Prospecting who advised me to make sure that I am in enhance and not (fine gold) while using large coils. He said that this was most likely the cause. All I need now is some time to get out and try this out. If you have any suggestions, please let me know as i am on a learning curve here. Thanks Jeff.!!!! Hope this works.

blinkiebill
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2011-12-16

Back to top Go down

5000 noisy with large coils Empty Re: 5000 noisy with large coils

Post  deutran Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:38 pm

Hi Jeff
The main issue that makes the detector unstable will be atmospheric conditions,lately I have had 3 undetectable days with the 17"x11".All other days were fine especially early mornings.I also used a 18"NFA and 16"NFA on a 4500 all ran perfectly quite on most days but the same story.
Even with clear skies it can happen with no obvious storm activity.
The 5000 is extremely sensitive making it a great gold detector,but as usual it always comes with a price.Not sure if the heat is making it a little worse but it seems so lately,early morning are the go you can get a few hours in and the detector seems to run the best.Hope you get it sorted.It doesn't sound like there's any problem with your gear.I use fine gold mostly and rarely need to switch over to enhance.
Steve
deutran
deutran
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  dryblower Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:38 am

Hi Blinkybill
I also went to a 5000 from an Extream
24 x 12 UFO's didnt perform well on my 5000 , but the 15 X 12 Commander mono is quieter than my 11 mono , and is my prefered coil for it.
Also I use a 16" NF and a 17 x 11 NF which are ok , as is the 18" commander. I have only noticed a slight increase in ground noise in Fine compared to Enhance .
Generally my 5000 is much less suseptible to ground noise in any of the smooth timings compared to the Extream set in Normal or Sesitive , even with the larger coils.
DB

dryblower
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2010-12-25

Back to top Go down

Post  xenon Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:16 am

Hi Blinkybill,

I know what you mean. I purchased a couple of other coils for my 5000 to go out with to try ang PING some deeper stuff. Both large coils were commanders, a 15x12 mono and an 18in momo and have not been able to use either of them the 3 times I have taken them out. Same as you mate, these coils were just so noisy and unstable that I had to return to the car each and every time and replace them back to the trusty 11in mono.
Seems to be a comman problem with the 5000 (not sure whether the 4500 users have the same problem). But it sure as hell is very frustrating as it seems no matter how low you drop the gain and stabalizer, the beast just screams and houls. The only thing I found you can do to lessen this problem is to swing and move at a rediculously slow pace, and I am talking snail pace. Now for some people this might be acceptable but for me it is not. The problem is is still there noise wise but it is not quite as bad.
xenon
xenon
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2011-03-10

Back to top Go down

5000 noisy with large coils Empty 5000 noisy with large coils

Post  blinkiebill Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:30 pm

Thanks Deutran,DB & Xenon, I took Jeff's advice and ran in Enhance (Gain approx 14) and the 15x12 Commander ran like a beauty in the same red soil on a stinker of a day. Sweat dripping off me at 8.30am. The 24x12 UFO was likewise, so by about lunchtime I backed off the gain a few clicks as it was getting a bit chirpy. This did the trick. I found one very small piece of which was covered in ironstone.I was happy with this especially knowing that I can now go out and use the bigger coils. I find the 15x12 is as quiet as the 11inch as you said. As the wet season is slowly moving in up here the grass is up to nearly 800mm so it cuts down the places you can detect in, so hurry up dry season. Well must go again. PS found some beaut rusty nails.... Thanks again all. Have a great Christmas and New Year. Laughing Cheers Blinkiebill.

blinkiebill
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2011-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:26 pm

G'day blinkiebill

When using the "Fine Gold" setting in the back menu, make sure that the switch on the front is in "SPECIAL" otherwise you won't be using the fine gold timing. There are 3 choices with the front switch, "Enhance" "Normal" "Special" you need to know which position thei switch is in so you can then match properly the settings in the back end menu.

Hope this is of some help to you.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down