Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

has anyone use a 18" or bigger coil

5 posters

Go down

has anyone use a 18" or bigger coil Empty has anyone use a 18" or bigger coil

Post  Guest Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:28 pm

i was just seeing if anyone has got a 18" and bigger coils, i was just going to see what the smallest bit off gold that has been found and what depth and the biggest bit that has been found and what depth?....i'v just asked a person that has some land with a good outcome. i know their's gold on their and i'v been thinking off going a big coil to see if their's any good deep stuff. i know their's smaller gold.
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

has anyone use a 18" or bigger coil Empty Re: has anyone use a 18" or bigger coil

Post  shandeemax Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:49 pm

Hey Stoppsy,
Firstly, if you're working hot ground with a mono over about 16" you probably want to be using a 4000 or better or else it'll probably groan too much to be of use. Personally I question the benefits of using anything bigger than 18" for deep gold - but I do occasionally use a 20" N/F to check areas where I've found large or deep pieces - in the 4 years that I've been using the 20" N/F I've never found anything deeper that my 16"N/F might have missed - & that's going over a fair bit of ground.

Having said that, the 20" N/F is a terrific coil & you can cover an awful lot of ground very quickly with one, but it will groan pretty bad in very hot ground & also is a real pain in grassy areas. The smallest piece I've found with this coil is 0.6gram at around 3" or 4" depth I think, but I'm sure it'll pick up much smaller than that.

I just got the new N/F 18" mono a couple months back & although I haven't found any gold with it yet, I know I will because it's a ripper of a coil - very quite even on very hot ground (using a GPX5000) Very Happy

If you want to use the larger monos I think you'll find the Nuggetfinders quieter that the Goldstalkers, particularly if there's a bit of scrub about to brush/bump the coil.
Just my thoughts.
Cheers, Andy
shandeemax
shandeemax
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2008-10-24

Back to top Go down

has anyone use a 18" or bigger coil Empty Re: has anyone use a 18" or bigger coil

Post  Guest Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:41 pm

thanks shandeemax, i should off said that i'v got a gpx 4000i was thinking a N/F 18".

Back to top Go down

Post  shandeemax Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:08 pm

Yeah mate, like I said the 18" N/F is a ripper coil & will cop a fair bit of bumping etc without complaining too much. I can't wait to get back to some of my favorite haunts to give it a better try out Very Happy Very Happy
Cheers
shandeemax
shandeemax
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:30 pm

tell me how ya go when you give it a good run
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  shandeemax Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:43 pm

No worries mate - it'll probably be next year before I get back there again. In the meantime all the best with the spot you're heading to - sounds pretty interesting, hope you go well.
Cheers, Andy
shandeemax
shandeemax
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:56 pm

cheers champ, their are diggings from the start off the paddock to the end, have found bits out near the block so hopping good weather should be good might even do some night detecting when it gets to the hotter days. the best thing i said to the owner if i find something big i'll go halfs, his reply was na it's yours just get me a slab that will do....couldn't believe it...
cheers
stoppsy

Back to top Go down

Post  goldtimer Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:58 pm

18" NFA mono is a brilliant coil. I also run a 4000. I bought one, after thinking about getting a big coil for a while, and reading comments from JP and other helpful members of this forum, And I wasn't dissappointed. If you get it running sweet, it goes deep, and is very sensitive to the small gold considering it's size. I have picked up a 0.2 grammer at 2-3 inches deep with this coil. It took a while to pinpoint it though! lol!
It is best suited to openish ground, so you have plenty of room to swing, and if EMI is an issue with your smaller coils, I wouldn't put the 18" on, because it is like a radio arial when you are close to powerlines....
In places that are open, and EMI is not a problem, I use it all the time.. Then put the 8" commander on to clean up any fly specks. The thing that I like most about the 18" is the ground coverage for finding new areas......
Good luck sunny

goldtimer
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2010-02-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:07 pm

will be gettin a N/F when i have some money to spend i think...went out today and found a .4 gram at 6" down, would loved to spend more time out but the blood suckers and flys were just getting a bit to much.... hope to get out again very soon.

Back to top Go down

Post  Brown Snake Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:12 pm

Today was a great day for me, swinging an 18" commander mono on the 45. I had access to private property in the 'triangle'. It seems strange to be detecting in an open paddock! The very fist signal I got yielded a .6g in the top soil. This paddock gets ploughed. Much rubbish, bullets etc. later, I found a 5.5g at about 6-8 inches deep. Great day, think I'LL go back again!
Brown Snake
Brown Snake
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2010-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:03 pm

it's great been on an open paddock i love it. congrats on your finds. if you get he chance go at night it's even better i reckon anyway. it funny the mozzys come out at about 5 realy bad but when it gets dark they seem to be gone for some reason.

Back to top Go down

has anyone use a 18" or bigger coil Empty Large coils

Post  Billsymo Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:16 pm

Yeh Mate,f you are ever in Tarnagullu, travel along cemetery Rd till you get to Italian Dam, where there is a dam there is a creek Right. Hook up you 24"*12" ufo and start detecting, you will come to large a mound of dirt That has been doug in the last three years near that big mound of dirt is a hole 3 feet around and 3 feet deep , because it is in a creek it was never filled in, the creek will run water eventually and fill it in hopefully.
I dug that hole 24 hours after I bought the UFO from Coiltek at Maryborough, it was a massive signal on my now sold 4000, It took 4 hours to dig, it was dark when I reached the target it was really huge.
Then last year I hooked my UFO 24*12 to my now new 4500 in Western Australia and near Sandstone in WA got a massive signal near old workings, I dug another hole , you guessed it 3 feet deep ang 3 feet Wide because everybody knows that the deeper you go the wider you have to go . It took about three hours to dig and it was dark when I reached the target which was large but not as large as the one at Tarnagulla.
If there was two arses, I would like to kick, its the back end of the bloke who buried a piece of Pipe 3 feet deep in the 1800,s, and the rear end of the blobe that buried a coke can near Sandstone in WA.
Do large coils work, You ask, yep but they don't discriminate until you are within 6" of the target. good luck
Billsymo
Billsymo
Good Contributor
Good Contributor

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2010-11-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Tributer Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:39 pm

Hi Billsymo, I have dug a lump of pipe in the same spot. The whole area has been dozed. My mum found a nice specimen with over two ounces in it in the creek bed there just below where there is bedrock covered with ripped dozer marks.

I use an 18 round Coiltek GS mono on a 4500. I like the coil response and sensitivity. I find that the 18 is just about right for moderately noisy ground where you are looking for deeper targets. It will pick up good sized targets at depth, but is not swamped by groundnoise so you can pick up on faint deep signals. I feel that in a lot of situations an 18 is about the limit. If you go with a bigger coil the swamping effect of ground noise reduces the ability to hear signals negating any advantage. Also i can swing an 18 all day.

Big eliptical coils 24x12 have a place, not necessarilly for deep gold but for efficiently covering lots of flat desert country when searching for that first nugget that may indicate a run.

tributer
Tributer
Tributer
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 1006
Registration date : 2008-10-27

Back to top Go down