Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Using a bigger coil on a 4500???

Go down

Using a bigger coil on a 4500??? Empty Using a bigger coil on a 4500???

Post  jarrahrules Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Hi guys.
Just wondering if anyone has experienced a large coil on the GPX 4500. 24" or similar.
Just wondering if you use a coil that big that you wouldn't have to hold it close to the ground. Also would it still find the smaller stuff.
Jamie

jarrahrules
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2011-07-12

Back to top Go down

Using a bigger coil on a 4500??? Empty Re: Using a bigger coil on a 4500???

Post  Guest Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:17 pm

G'day Jamie

If by small stuff you are meaning like 0.2g bits then yes you will miss them by having the 24" coil 50mm or more above the ground, because you are just trying to pick up a small target with the edge of the coil which is essentially like pin pointing with the edge of the coil.

Generally I find the Minelab 11" Commander Mono is best for small gold at shallow to medium (6") deep on average and a 16" or bigger coil is best for bigger nuggets at medium to deeper depths.

cheers dave

Back to top Go down

Using a bigger coil on a 4500??? Empty Re: Using a bigger coil on a 4500???

Post  jarrahrules Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:12 am

davsgold wrote:G'day Jamie

If by small stuff you are meaning like 0.2g bits then yes you will miss them by having the 24" coil 50mm or more above the ground, because you are just trying to pick up a small target with the edge of the coil which is essentially like pin pointing with the edge of the coil.

What do you mean by small targets using the edge of the coil?
I have had a bit of success with small to tiny nuggets with a six inch coil i have. Mainly around the surfacing areas.

Generally I find the Minelab 11" Commander Mono is best for small gold at shallow to medium (6") deep on average and a 16" or bigger coil is best for bigger nuggets at medium to deeper depths.
cheers dave

I use a 14" oliptical coiltek and its okay. I found a .4 gram bit the other day on a muloch heap. Was thinking that a 24" would look better into the mulock heaps. But as they mainly left smaller ones it may not be the right one. Thought of the 24" for depth but don't want to loose the smaller ones.

Jamie

jarrahrules
Contributor
Contributor

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2011-07-12

Back to top Go down