Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

14x9, vs 14x9

3 posters

Go down

14x9, vs 14x9 Empty 14x9, vs 14x9

Post  maka Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:51 pm

Hi i have been using a 14x9 blitz series for 2 weeks and love it.
I just bought a 14x9 goldstalker . Will i notice a difference in ground noise/ sensativity etc?
I cant test here at home there too much EMI.
Thanks
maka
maka
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 626
Registration date : 2011-06-28

Back to top Go down

14x9, vs 14x9 Empty Re: 14x9, vs 14x9

Post  Flakmagnet Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:16 am

hi Maka,

would guess you will prefer the Blitz to the other 14x9 Goldstalker
isn't the Blitz newer?

if it was a Coiltek Blitz against a Nugget Finder Advantage
it might be a close contest imho...
I own an Advantage, which I love, and hear the Blitz is a great coil as well.

all the best,
Flakmagnet
Flakmagnet
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2008-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:21 pm

Hey Maka,
In my experience,the Goldstalker will run quieter on a GP Extreme. I remember you saying your Nugget Finder advantage ran smooth on your extreme,which suprised me.
We tested a new N F litz wire coil on a GP Extreme,then a GP 3000 then my GPX 4000. The result was the same on all 3 detectors. Bad falsing on every rock or stick. Very sensitive to hot orange clays and hot rocks (My 4000 rarely detects hot rocks,unless they are super hot) and we also found that if you swing them too fast,they false at the end of each swing.
Now all 3 of these detectors are in excellent working order,and my 4000 can be a freak of a detector when it comes to little bits.
If you arent happy with the 14 x 9 Goldstalker,I will buy it off you mate.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:30 pm

Gus wrote:Hey Maka,
In my experience,the Goldstalker will run quieter on a GP Extreme. I remember you saying your Nugget Finder advantage ran smooth on your extreme,which suprised me.
We tested a new N F litz wire coil on a GP Extreme,then a GP 3000 then my GPX 4000. The result was the same on all 3 detectors. Bad falsing on every rock or stick. Very sensitive to hot orange clays and hot rocks (My 4000 rarely detects hot rocks,unless they are super hot) and we also found that if you swing them too fast,they false at the end of each swing.
Now all 3 of these detectors are in excellent working order,and my 4000 can be a freak of a detector when it comes to little bits.
If you arent happy with the 14 x 9 Goldstalker,I will buy it off you mate.

Gus if your NF coil is doing all that you have described it sounds like it has a problem and should be sent back for warranty.

The Blitz coil will runs rings around the older Goldstalker coils especially on the later GPX series using the 'Smooth Type' Timings, this I have proven many times, comparing the NF ADV and Coiltek Blitz coils things are very similar with maybe the Blitz winning out on outright sensitivity on small stuff but at a slight increase in ground noise when all is considered.

Hope this helps,

JP
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 801
Registration date : 2008-11-25

http://www.theoutbackprospector.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post  maka Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:43 pm

Thanks, I was hoping it would perform better on the small stuff. A small bit around .2 or .3 i can just pick up with the blitz at about an inch or 2.
Same senario for the very small NF mono elip i have.
I guess the extreme just wont find the smaller stuff (.2 or .3) at any more than 1 to 2 inches..
Maybe its time for an upgrade if i choose to chase smaller targets.
Anything over .5 is easy to pick up. But the hot ground makes it impossible to track the small bits, no matter how hard i try to hear them..
I have tried the 8x5 NF, a 350 mono, a blitz 14x9, a 24x12, the 11 mono that comes with the 5000, an 11 DD, and now the 14x9 older NF.
Maybe i need to swing it for a few hundred more hours , and just get better.. Every day i feel more confident, but still wonder if its worth upgrading..
I am starting to really learn the ground noises, but some still throw me off..
I am still only a noob at this sport ( i call it a sport as i feel like i am hunting) not a hobby ( knitting). with only about 350 to 400 hours of swing time and learning every minute..
maka
maka
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:50 pm

maka wrote:Thanks, I was hoping it would perform better on the small stuff. A small bit around .2 or .3 i can just pick up with the blitz at about an inch or 2.
Same senario for the very small NF mono elip i have.
I guess the extreme just wont find the smaller stuff (.2 or .3) at any more than 1 to 2 inches..
Maybe its time for an upgrade if i choose to chase smaller targets.
Anything over .5 is easy to pick up. But the hot ground makes it impossible to track the small bits, no matter how hard i try to hear them..
I have tried the 8x5 NF, a 350 mono, a blitz 14x9, a 24x12, the 11 mono that comes with the 5000, an 11 DD, and now the 14x9 older NF.
Maybe i need to swing it for a few hundred more hours , and just get better.. Every day i feel more confident, but still wonder if its worth upgrading..
I am starting to really learn the ground noises, but some still throw me off..
I am still only a noob at this sport ( i call it a sport as i feel like i am hunting) not a hobby ( knitting). with only about 350 to 400 hours of swing time and learning every minute..

To get reasonable performance out of the GP extreme in noisy ground on small gold try using the Sensitive timing in conjunction with a small DD coil in Normal mode (DD mode on later GP models).

Hope this helps,

JP
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  maka Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:40 pm

Thanks for that. I will chase around for a DD coil for it as i have sold my original one...ooopppsssss
I thought mono's were the go for sensativity... live and learn again i guess..
When you say small 11 inch or smaller, as some people thing a 14 is small..?\
Cheers in advance..
I want to try to pick up the bits i see guys getting with their 4000 to 5000's with my machine if possible,,
maka
maka
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Porter Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:16 am

maka wrote:Thanks for that. I will chase around for a DD coil for it as i have sold my original one...ooopppsssss
I thought mono's were the go for sensativity... live and learn again i guess..
When you say small 11 inch or smaller, as some people thing a 14 is small..?\
Cheers in advance..
I want to try to pick up the bits i see guys getting with their 4000 to 5000's with my machine if possible,,

Maka, I'm trying to advise you on the best way to get the best performance from your GP extreme. Monos are more sensitive but it is useless to you if the ground noise swamps the signal response because of limitations in the technology of your current detector. The people using monos with the GPX series are taking full advantage of the Smooth type timings in combination with a Monoloop coil which effectively removes the ground signal but allows the target signal normally swamped by the ground signal to stand out.

You can kind of do a similar thing with the GP extreme by using a DD coil which gets rid of SOME of the ground signal then increase the sensitivity to small nuggets by using the Sensitive timings, not perfect but it works quite well to a persistent operator. The smaller the coil the greater the sensitivity to small nuggets, hence I would recommend using a 10" elliptical Commander DD or the 11" round that was supplied with the detector.

Hope this helps,

JP
Jonathan Porter
Jonathan Porter
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:53 am

G'day Maka

My Boy used to run a GP Extreme with a 10x5 Coiltek DD Joey on it, and man most times that would keep up with
my 4000 on the small stuff, he would run it in Deep/Sensitive/Tracking and could thrust it into the scrub under
trees and bushes on old diggings without to much ground noise and touch sensitivity...
Also make sure you run the small elliptical right down on the deck mate Very Happy

Pete Cool

Back to top Go down