Gold Detecting and Prospecting Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

any advice on a Ford Courier v6 to trek Australia

4 posters

Go down

any advice on a Ford Courier v6 to trek Australia Empty any advice on a Ford Courier v6 to trek Australia

Post  Guest Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:15 pm

Hi everyone.
First, love the forum - seems congenial mixed with wisdom?? (comes with age, methinks) Getting ready (in our head, anyway) to head off again for life on the road. But the old Maverick that clocked up half a million largely trouble-free kms, is just a memory. We (Tony & me, (Sue)) are looking for the right vehicle to tow up to 18' caravan and large amounts of gold, and have to watch our dollars (obviously the gold is not actually "in the bank" yet) . Looking at a Ford Courier V6 4litre 2005/06model. Does anyone know the good, bad or ugly of it all? Thanks for any of that congenial wisdom!

Back to top Go down

any advice on a Ford Courier v6 to trek Australia Empty Re V6 couier Ute

Post  sjy120 Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:25 pm

Personally I'd be looking more at a diesel for towing and general outback running around. I don't like petrol vehicles as much as diesel
for towing and 4 x 4 use etc.

sjy120
New Poster
New Poster

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-10-03

Back to top Go down

any advice on a Ford Courier v6 to trek Australia Empty Re: any advice on a Ford Courier v6 to trek Australia

Post  Rustydog Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:57 pm

depends if your sticking to main road or going to go off road at times.
personally and from experience i dont like or will ever own anything in a 4x4 with independent front end suspension.
i drive a 93 hilux 4x4 dual cab and would not swap it for anything of the newer 4x4s
Rustydog
Rustydog
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2011-07-11

Back to top Go down

any advice on a Ford Courier v6 to trek Australia Empty Re: any advice on a Ford Courier v6 to trek Australia

Post  Bullet Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:14 pm

You also have to think about where you will be heading. Think about the dreaded breakdown and will it be easy to get parts without waiting for something to be shipped in from a major city. I'd be looking at Toyota, maybe Nissan, the buggers are everywhere. Petrol or diesel, it's personal choice. Towing an 18 footer, think about vehicle fuel economy and the price of fuel. Diesel is more expensive than unleaded here in WA.
Also think about little bits and pieces for the vehicle & equipment. Example, a trip I did last year, we couldn't get simple 10amp fuses for the minelab 12V chargers (yeah I know, should have taken spares) from some of the bigger country towns in WA. did a 200+km trip in a circle, ended up we had to go to Kalgoorlie to get them.
Not sure what country towns are like in the East but here in WA it's hopeless. some towns are nothing but ghost towns and roadhouses don't carry what you need.
Planning planning and more planning, simple motto.
Bullet
Bullet
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 347
Registration date : 2011-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post  tricky 1 Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:15 pm

the v6 is very heavy on fuel. try and stick to 4.2 lt patrol or 3.0.lt from 9/03 to 1/07. very reliable and cheap to run.
tricky 1
tricky 1
Seasoned Contributor
Seasoned Contributor

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2010-08-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:15 pm

"You also have to think about where you will be heading." - Everywhere! We did do the off-road, down goat tracks and around salt lakes 10-12years back. The only trouble with the Maverick was breaking down on a dirt road outside of Tennant Creek, and had to be towed back to town (clutch master cylinder, was easy same day repair - in Tennant Creek! might've even been Sunday!) So we know what we're in for. And already searching for Ford Courier reviews elsewhere - seems like we might change our thinking. Thanks for the input.
After the good life with the Maverick, if anyone knows of a good low k's low price Patrol/Maverick for sale, let's know.
cheers
Tony & Sue Keepdigging

Back to top Go down

Post  Bullet Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:21 pm

Tennant Creek, I had many a happy night there many years ago. Best of luck with your journey and don't ya just love them goat tracks, NOT. Very Happy
Bullet
Bullet
Contributor Plus
Contributor Plus

Number of posts : 347
Registration date : 2011-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:40 pm

Last edited by fencejumper on Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:06 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : pointless)

Back to top Go down